Brake change advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Hi All,

Had a go of changing my front discs on my 14plate E250 but couldn't get the 18mm caliper bolts to shift as not much leverage on trolley jack?
Any tips?
Thanks

Hi All,

Had a go of changing my front discs on my 14plate E250 but couldn't get the 18mm caliper bolts to shift as not much leverage on trolley jack?
Any tips?
Thanks
Did you not support the car on axle stands?

Very dangerous not to do so.

Raise the car as high as safely possible and support on axle stands. Turn the wheel so the caliper bolts are easier to access and use the longest breaker bar you can find on a socket.
Even a piece of old gas pipe/scaffold tube over a 17mm? ring spanner should shift it.
Careful using a socket with a ratchet. I've snapped a ratchet before trying to crack a caliper retaining bolt.

Reading with interest as this is my next job!

Raise the car as high as safely possible and support on axle stands. Turn the wheel so the caliper bolts are easier to access and use the longest breaker bar you can find on a socket.
That's OK for the front caliper bolts.
You obviously can't turn the rear wheels to improve access.
When I did the rear calipers on the W211 E280, removing the rear caliper bolts came very close to beating me.
Close ...... But not quite.

As said get the car up higher and properly supported then use a breaker bar with a decent 6 point socket. If it won't break free then either apply some heat or use a smaller bar on the socket and give it a sharp tap with a hammer. In all cases make sure that the socket remains fully on the bolt head. Using cheap 12 point sockets and not keeping an eye on the socket can result in the socket slipping and either rounding the bolt head or causing an injury to you. Tight bolts need decent tools ime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom