• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Brembo Discs and Pads E55 AMG

north-star

Car
2003 E55 AMG Saloon and a 2002 C32 AMG Estate
Anyone on here fitted these before, cracking deal on Autodoc for a set of Brembo discs and pads all round, cheaper than what i was for my two front discs and pads in my old C5 RS6 :)

Or do i go with Zimmermann same as i did for the RS?

I fitted both Brembo discs and pads when I had my E55.
Only thing I needed to do was file a bit of paint off the sides of the pads so they were a loose fit in the caliper.
They worked very well and were as good as OEM.

Last edited:
I fitted both Brembo discs and pads when I had my E55.
Only thing I needed to do was file a bit of paint of the sides of the pads so they were a loose fit in the caliper.
They worked very well and were as good as OEM.
Thanks for that, i'll order them up on Monday, don't need them right now but it's a good deal to let go.

Still got a few wee jobs to sort yet, got the Kleemann crank pulley to fit, new serpentine belt and my Johnsons cm30 IC pump.

Will buy some lowering links too and get them fitted when i change the discs and pads.

Be wary of Brembo brakes from Autodoc. Just last week I removed some Brembo brakes that a very good pal bought from them and fitted himself. He’s no fool either, nothing wrong with his workmanship. Both front discs had a severe DTV within two weeks. I took them off after clocking them with a dial gauge to prove the point. Interestingly neither of the front discs had been balanced which I found concerning.
He’d already spent his money so I fitted some of our suppliers budget range, Allied Nippon, to get him out of trouble while he pursued Autodoc for a refund. He drove home to Andover and then rang me to say that the brakes felt light years better than the ones we took off. Actual bite and pedal feel compared to the “wooden” feel of the Autodoc supplied parts. Most telling was that the budget Allied Nippon discs had been balanced at the factory where the “Brembo” hadn’t.
I can’t prove the “Brembo” were fake, but I have my suspicions

I wonder if it's a counterfeit? I once came across some Bosch branded spark plugs, couldn't tell the difference until I compared it to the genuine article. Took a while to suss it out.

On another car forum I frequent there have been quite a few threads about Autodoc supplying fake parts. Personally I would never use them again. I gave them a second chance after they supplied the wrong part and it took over a month so sort the refund. Then they supplied two faulty parts on one order....had the threaten legal action before they sent replacements.
Then there are their shady business practices..... using about 10 different company names...with a couple clearly hinting about being in the UK with fast delivery and even having .UK websites and email..... and then you have to wait for delivery from Berlin. They won't have any more of my money.

Just a few of the names they use.. there are many others across the EU and USA.

Autodoc
123Spareparts
Rexbo-Spares
BuycarpartsUK
Motor-Doctor
EUspares
Bestpartsstore
Sparepartsstore24

Tax fiddles? Or maybe it just helps offset their bad reputation.

Last edited:
I think it more likely that Autodoc have bought up small companies to gain market share, and have retained domains to keep that market share of those puchased businesses.

One of the reasons I've chosen Autodoc in the past is that with such a large brand presence now and reputation, plus all the effort put into their online videos and guides and a quality website, it seems unlikely to me (but not impossible) that they wouldn't be engaged in purposeful fraud and shipping of fake parts.

Could they be accepting incoming fake parts from their shady supply chain? Probably. I would hope that if Autodoc were informed about a suspected fake part, they might take action.

BUT, this is one of the reasons I try to buy directly from the likes of SKF (online) or from my local diesel Bosch service centre as the risk of fakes then deminishes much closer to zero (but to be clear, not zero).

Be wary of Brembo brakes from Autodoc. Just last week I removed some Brembo brakes that a very good pal bought from them and fitted himself. He’s no fool either, nothing wrong with his workmanship. Both front discs had a severe DTV within two weeks. I took them off after clocking them with a dial gauge to prove the point. Interestingly neither of the front discs had been balanced which I found concerning.
He’d already spent his money so I fitted some of our suppliers budget range, Allied Nippon, to get him out of trouble while he pursued Autodoc for a refund. He drove home to Andover and then rang me to say that the brakes felt light years better than the ones we took off. Actual bite and pedal feel compared to the “wooden” feel of the Autodoc supplied parts. Most telling was that the budget Allied Nippon discs had been balanced at the factory where the “Brembo” hadn’t.
I can’t prove the “Brembo” were fake, but I have my suspicions
Hi Jobsworth,

How do you tell if a disc has been balanced? And what might balancing be?

I guess when fitting new discs at home, we can at least use a micrometer to check if there is Disc Thickness Varistion before install (most won't have the kit to check disc or hub runout).

I would have thought in mass production of a relatively low-priced low tech lump like this, it's all in the centering and setup, and once the as-cast part is located in the correct position on the CNC machine, a repeatable quality part should be chucked off every time? At the price point of discs, I can't imagine additional process steps can be afforded, unless the balancing might be part of the same machining operation?

So basically, if it's ok at production testing it won't have a notch and if it's fake it also won't have a notch making trying to tell the difference between fakes and genuine parts really difficult!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom