• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Why onn earth do MB main dealer charge so much for brake pads and or discs?

I find that MB servicing costs and hourly labour rates are significantly higher than other marques that I have experience with, to include Vauxhall, Renault, Kia, Suzuki, and Hyundai, but then I would expect that from a premium German marque, and I imagine it's in line with MB's main competitors in this market segment which are BMW and Audi. I would also expect service cost from Porsche to be even higher. Etc. There's a simple message that was originally coined (I believe) about Rolls Royce cars a century or so ago - if you can't afford the maintenance, you shouldn't own one.

If you want one reason why their hourly rates are so high, just have a look at some of the different dealers websites and then the 'meet the team', and be amazed at the number of staff, ie front of house, meeters and greeters, workshop loaders, team leaders, managers, customer service centre etc. that they have. What I found interesting with mine was that the technicians, whose time it is you actually want, weren't even listed on the staff list.

I have no doubt that the groups/individual dealers vary but I was I surprised: I only looked because when I was last on the premises I couldn't believe the number of people wandering around, none of whom seemed interested in the occasional potential customer who wandered in whilst I was there. No doubt other marques are the same, but I come back to an old viewpoint of mine, that the old family-owned dealerships were much better focussed on 'service', but of course didn't meet the new 'branding' expectations.

Somebody has to pay for all of those staff, fancy showrooms etc., and it's not the DWP.

Main dealers should be used for servicing only and nothing else if one is wise

A friend recently purchased a 2019 95k mile 213 estate that has only been to mb brighton for all it's life, how the other half live......
Why bother using them even for servicing in that case?....Indies will be cheaper and probably more thorough....
When your px it a service history is a service history....it will be worth not a penny more because its main dealer history.

£387 for the read pads inc. fitting?

30 mins a side - they have to get the vehicle from the car park, into the workshop, find the locking wheel key, wheel off, strip down, clean and refit everything.
My Indy told me that he has to charge more for rear pads/discs because of the electronic handbrake. Something about the learning/teaching process after you've put it all back together, definately not just 30 minutes each side according to him.

Why bother using them even for servicing in that case?....Indies will be cheaper and probably more thorough....
When your px it a service history is a service history....it will be worth not a penny more because its main dealer history.
Plenty of Indies charge main dealer prices.

When discussing MB dealers, it's important to remember that, as with most service industries, there are good and not-so-good service providers and that applies to 'indies' as well as franchised dealers, for all marques. I've had varying experiences over the years with both so tend to take as I find, rather than aligning to any one particular 'type'.

My Indy told me that he has to charge more for rear pads/discs because of the electronic handbrake. Something about the learning/teaching process after you've put it all back together, definately not just 30 minutes each side according to him.
Not sure if yours is more difficult, but this video shows you how, so maybe 35 mins to change pads ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No indie will service any ( AMG included ) mb for £139 and they never provide breakdown cover either...

No indie will service any ( AMG included ) mb for £139 and they never provide breakdown cover either...
Surely they could do the basic A service, (oil and filter with a quick look round) ?

Not sure if yours is more difficult, but this video shows you how, so maybe 35 mins to change pads ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That looks very easy so not sure, I was told that it was done on his lap top and there was a teaching process where you can hear the piston being moved about as it learns the thickness of the new pads.
Maybe some folk dont bother or he was talking mince?

He's telling you porkies to justify his charges. I changed mine for ceramic pads. There is a menu item for the electronic handbrake, takes a few seconds & you hear it disengaging. Same for when you are finished. Probably takes about the same time jacking the car up & removing the wheel than doing the pads. Perhaps not, but pretty quick

I think he’s stretching the truth a little bit. You can either do it through the cluster in a few seconds as shown on the link or I believe it can be done via STAR - certainly doesn’t take long at all. I did rear pads on my 166 about 3 years ago and it literally took a few minutes each side (you could almost do them without taking the wheel off I reckon!)

My comment about an hour’s labour was simplistic in the sense to illustrate how the quoted £387 might not feel so unreasonable when you consider the cost of labour at a main dealer (noted as being north of £200/hour)

They will have priced this job on book time, in practice I suspect it can often be done a bit quicker but the point remains that they’ve still got to follow the usual procedure - including as I mentioned before getting the car in/out of the workshop and probably have to complete a full healthcheck/visual report and probably a trip to valet bay on the way out :)

This is an age old topic and unrelated to the brake pad thing being discussed here really. But to turn it on its head - is a car without a main dealer history worth more or easier to sell than one with a full unbroken main dealer service record? Obviously not and for some buyers they certainly value or prefer main dealer service history given the choice.

Not everyone part-exchanges their cars either (I don’t think I’ve ever done that!)

It’s debatable how important that difference is depending on the age/mileage/model in question (eg on a 10+ year old/100k+ miler C180 it might not matter much) but on a three year old AMG or something valuable (S-class, SL etc) I can honestly say I think full main dealer history carries some weight and helps resale.

A lot of people choose main dealer for the the service items and have other work carried out elsewhere - best of both worlds really. Especially if you get a good deal on a service plan or take advantage of discounted rates for older models :)

It is astonishing how the cost of a simple job ends up being £3-400...not a direct comparison but I have just replaced the rear discs and pads (genuine Volvo parts) plus two new calipers (Febi) plus brake fluid change on a Volvo V70 total cost £170.

It is astonishing how the cost of a simple job ends up being £3-400...not a direct comparison but I have just replaced the rear discs and pads (genuine Volvo parts) plus two new calipers (Febi) plus brake fluid change on a Volvo V70 total cost £170.
And how much was the labour..? :)

Well we had a newby on here with a flat battery and the breakdown guy tested the alternator and found out it was toast,so the cars at MB and the bill is £700,now a battery say £100 and a Bosch alternator £200 and lets say a hours labour that makes £700 crazy,the terrible thing is people are paying these bills.

Update for anyone interested

Brembo pads and wear sensors - took them about 35/40 mins inc paperwork from the moment they sat in the car
to set up the brake change menu on car
Total cost inc vat/arts/labour etc - 129

The place was not flash, it was cold and on an industrial unit near to our home, but job well done

Update for anyone interested

Brembo pads and wear sensors - took them about 35/40 mins inc paperwork from the moment they sat in the car
to set up the brake change menu on car
Total cost inc vat/arts/labour etc - 129

The place was not flash, it was cold and on an industrial unit near to our home, but job well done
£129 including parts, labour and VAT. That’s incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom