C class gearchange

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisbrad66

Car
S320 CDI, W203 320 CDI
Hello all, my 06 C class has just passed 45000 miles so i decided to have a Transmission oil and filter change done at my local indy, that was three weeks ago, i notice now when the engine/box is cold the gear change in auto mode from 1st to second slips very badly and sometimes it lurches quite violently between the two gears, sufficiently enough to give you a pain in the neck, any pointers to check or look for would be helpfull?

There is a chance that i has not got enough oil in it. the first thing would be to check the oil level and also get it stuck on a star machine

Been back to stealers today. they finally admitted they have been having problems with the 7G gearbox on certain cars, apparently there is some new software upgrades and a new type of gearbox oil, so they are trying both, will keep you all posted when it is done

7G is the 7-speed, isn't it?
I have a friend with an '09 C class and that has a 5-speed...

Definitely get the level checked first.
If it was the software, it would have exhibited the symptoms before the fluid change.

Back to the indies yesyerday, new type oil in and gearchange is now perfect, anyone else ever heard of this new transmission oil for "problematic gear changes"? or is he pulling a fast one? and they didnt do the original oil change in the first place? although i have used these people before with excellent results in the past.

Pulling a fast one me-thinks. Ask him for the old and new part numbers.

I have come across a modified oil to overcome torque converter vibrations harsh gearchange part number 001 989 0311 around £35 for 5 litres

Thanks Andy, i just looked at the receipt and that part number matches whats on there, so whats the difference between the 2 oils?

Modified oil is colourless normal oil is red.Not sure what other differences are but I have known it to work.

I had problems with mine after the auto box oil & filter was changed by MB, the oil level was low as I checked it myself.

Gave it back to MB who checked it said it was fine, but mysteriously the gearbox was now changing gear correctly & the oil level mysteriously was back to normal too.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom