C220 Cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
I really rather fancy purchasing a C220 CDi in the near future, but am not really sure which trim variant to go for.

I like the Elegance trim the best, but am concerned that the suspension is alleged to be too wallowy to be enjoyable. Is the sport version much harder? Is it much more fun?

Is it easy to change the carbon-look panels for the wooden ones of the elegance?

Should a high mileage put me off? (i mean around 100k) as i wish to keep the car for 5 years, potentially another 100K.

Hi SE97,

Welcome to the forum. Theres a good spread of owners of varying trim levels of varying models so you should get a pretty good response!

I'll kick off. I've got a C200 Sport and the suspension on it is awesome. Its very chuckable and corners confidently but its not so hard that its ruined by bumps and potholes. It cruises on the motorway comfortably too.

Best thing is probably to go and test drive them at local dealers giving you an idea of the difference.

As for mileage, I'd personally prefer low mileage cars due to slightly lower depreciation and making it easier to sell when I decide to chance cars. But thats just personal preference.

Welcome to the forum, I currently have a C250TD Elegance and am very pleased with it, in fact it feels a much nicer car in terms of ride, handling and comfort than my previous C180 Esprit which has a very similiar suspension set-up to the Sport.

I wanted a Sport but could not find one so went for an Elegance, I thought that I would not like the wood trim as it is perceived as been an 'old mans car', but I now think it looks very nice and gives the car a quality look and feel.

The Elegance suspension soaks up the bumps and makes long journeys effortless and does not feel at all wallowy.

I am sure some here will disagree with me.:D

elegance is better than the sport , ive had quite a few elegances.

Ive had a C220 CDI too ,great cars. getting to 100k shouldnt be a problem with full MBSH

elegance elegance elegance !!

(sorry sport people !!)

Can confirm that the ride is good. Depends how "in-touch" with the road you want to feel.

In fact, Ii'm sure the difference isn't that large, but if you are used to firmer suspension then the sport will probably appeal to you more.

After being bumped around for a year in my previous car (honda type-r) I'm enjoying the "softer" ride now.

S.

Looks like I lost that argument then!

I do agree with Fuzzer, I drove a W203 Elegance C220 CDi recently and was very impressed.

However, as a 202 Sport owner, I found it to be a little wobbly. I guess its down to what people are used to.

What I did find on my last car (BMW 316iSE) is that with the standard suspension and a set of 17's and it used to tramline like crazy.

Don't worry about the mileage. As soon as a car busts 100k miles it loses value in most people's eyes, so that's the BEST time to buy one - nice and cheap.

I wouldnt hold onto a car over 50k as at that mileage it starts not being a retail car for the dealer.

Our '02 E class is up at 34k just now , needs a change soon...

Well thank you very much for all your advice and the warm welcome to the forum!

I guess an Elegance it is then! Anybody have any idea what sort of mpg i would get from an automatic cdi?

Originally posted by se97mlm
Well thank you very much for all your advice and the warm welcome to the forum!

I guess an Elegance it is then! Anybody have any idea what sort of mpg i would get from an automatic cdi?

My C250TD ELEGANCE:D Estate auto, averages around 34mpg but then I have only had it about 6 weeks so still quite early to be sure. The CDi is supposed to be a bit more frugal so you could expect something in the late thirties.

We average about 45ish with out E220CDI estate:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom