C220cdi sport .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

france79uk

Car
2009 c220cdi sport saloon
Having just bought a 2009 C220cdi sport saloon with only 10500 mls done, I wondered if there was any way to improve the ride comfort. Personally I find it fairly harsh and uncomfortable after a Golf TDI. I guess I should have gone for an SE or something with 16" wheels and non sport suspension. It did not seem too bad on the test run, and the low mileage clinched it, but after an hour or two`s driving it starts to become a little uncomfortable. It`s got 17" wheels and continental tyres as standard. Another gripe is the panoramic sunroof, a lovely extra but restricts headroom a lot. My works car is an E class 250 estate which is a fair bit more comfortable although that also has low profile tyre set up. There is whats called a comfort mode which does not help, just affects gearbox I think? Perhaps a different tyre may help?? Also can anyone tell me if there is any sort of intelligent or variable suspension set up on these models. Thanks to any replies guys.

good day you can solve the problem, putting some wheels of 16 inches, with Michelin Peneus, getting into the air recommended by the model W204 (see the cover of the fuel)Nice day
Brunotaxi7

Also can anyone tell me if there is any sort of intelligent or variable suspension set up on these models.
First of all, hi and welcome.

If the car was spec'd with the Dynamic Handling Package (not many are) then there will be a switch on the centre console that allows you to select different suspension modes. From your post I suspect that you don't have this option and that your reference to Comfort mode refers to the switch next to the gear selector which, as you have noted, only changes the way the gearbox behaves.

Unfortunately, if you find the suspension too firm the only options you have are to get used to it or to spend money trying to soften it up. An obvious first port of call would be to check out if you could fit 16-inch wheels and higher profile tyres; after that it's a matter of changing spring and damper rates.

This will be of no consolation, but the W204 on 16-inch wheels in Elegance trim offers what many believe to be the best ride in the class.

17 inch wheels are really not that big for a C class so first place to start is tyre pressures, start with the standard settings on the inside of the fuel flap but don't be afraid of dropping them as manufacturers are putting far higher than needed pressures now to improve fuel consumption.
If that does not help then next step is tyres, I actually find Conti's ride to harsh I really like the ride of Goodyear Eagle F1's and lots of members here swear by Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Speak to a good tyre supplier as they can recommend tyres based on the type of driving you do.

As stated, the obvious change is to go to 16" wheels and tyres that are made for comfort rather than sport. You may find that 16" wheels won't fit on your car because the sport has larger brakes. I'm finding my winter tyres more comfortable than the Contis that were on before (same size 225/45/17). So first step is change the tyres. I'll have your Contis ;)

Hi Phil, thank you so much for taking time to reply and help. You obviously know your Mercs. Maybe you could help on this one. Whenever I purchase a new car I always like to get a Haynes manual, been doing that for longer than I care to remember. However they only go up to a 2007 model latest. They say that they are working on the W204 but it will be some time before it is out. Question is do you know of any alternatives?? Thanks again. Paul.

Sorry, I'm not aware of any owner's repair manuals available for the W204 series.

I have to concur with the OP. The ride is nothing special and it is firm. Its not for everyone.

Try as mentioned fitted smaller wheels and higher profile tyres and researching tyres based on sidewall stiffness.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Note that you have a c250cdi, my 220 although it has only covered 11500 miles rattles for about 10 seconds at start up, from past experience it sounds very much like a timing chain noise . Is this normal on these engines would you know please?? Thanks

Hi, thanks for your reply. Note that you have a c250cdi, my 220 although it has only covered 11500 miles rattles for about 10 seconds at start up, from past experience it sounds very much like a timing chain noise . Is this normal on these engines would you know please?? Thanks

Sorry, I can't really say what is normal on cold start up, but it certainly sounds like you could have yours checked to see whether some adjustment would help. Mine has no rattles at all and still sounds ok (for a deisel) when I turn the ignition.

Hi Again and thanks for past help re suspension etc. Have another query I hope you may be kind enough to help with: I wonder if you know of any difference between the c250 cdi gearbox and the one used on the C220cdi ?? W204 series. Reason I ask is that other members seem to think Brabus chipping a c220 would put too much strain on G/box with the extra torque and horse power, yet the c250 has lots more of both, perhaps different internals and gearing?? Best Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom