• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

C270 / SBC / Valeo

voguev8

Car
W163 ML 270 CDI & W209 CLK 350, Sprinter 311CDI
Hi
My wife has a w203 (220cdi) and its had its fair share of problems, but with the help from this forum, we have managed to get it back to good health!.
She purchased the car without much imput from me but I have been using it alot and really like the drive and economy.
I am about to change my Subaru Outback and was thinking of getting a C270 (2001-2004). But after spending some time reading the problems I think I can tell what a Valeo rad looks like etc, but not sure what the sbc is. Are we talking about the abs pump?
Any other things I need to look out for with this model.
regards

Rust along the bottom of the doors, around the edge of the wheel arches.

MAF sensor - stops engine revving above 3k, so you need to use the tip to put the gearbox into 2 then floor the throttle (don't try it on the motorway, at 3k in top you'll be well over the speed limit!). MAF failure can also stop the kickdown from working.

Thermostat - use the steering wheel buttons to get the engine temp display up, make sure the engine gets to a proper 80-90C.

Cars built after April 2004 were galvanised, so rust problem is far less than in earlier cars (mine is July 2001, I have rust, the MB warranty is not worth the paper it's printed on!).

Servicing interval - not sure when MB changed the Assyst settings, on mine it's 2 years or 15k miles whichever comes first, crafty sods at MB changed it to 1 year 15k miles. Plus you have to be aware of the other time/distance related items that are not included in the base cost of a service - look at the MB ESS system, it's things like air and fuel filters (4 years or ... miles), brake fluid (2 years).

Changing ATF fluid and filter after 60+k miles is also recommended by many - costs about £150. Had mine done at 70k, gearbox was good before the change but better after.

The 270 is a fantastic car, really comfortable mile muncher with loads of grunt when you want it, but excellent economy. I regularly see 45+mpg on a long run.

SBC (brake by wire) was never fitted to the C class so don't worry about it. Pre-facelift W211 E class / CLS, SL, SLR and Maybach only if I remember correctly

Hi
My wife has a w203 (220cdi) and its had its fair share of problems, but with the help from this forum, we have managed to get it back to good health!.
She purchased the car without much imput from me but I have been using it alot and really like the drive and economy.
I am about to change my Subaru Outback and was thinking of getting a C270 (2001-2004). But after spending some time reading the problems I think I can tell what a Valeo rad looks like etc, but not sure what the sbc is. Are we talking about the abs pump?
Any other things I need to look out for with this model.
regards

The C270 is a brilliant car...
Fantastic engine which is both powerful and frugal (see photo).
I highly recomment you save a tad longer and get a post 2004 model.
Mine had zero rust anywhere and never gave me any trouble.
Actually the alarm siren went kaput so I removed it and never bothered with a replacement.. But that was the only thing.
If you like your 220 then you will adore the 270.. Its far smoother and more refined.:)

Last edited:
Hi
Thanks fot the input, a c270 it is then!
Just as a after thought I have been a member of the world wide Subaru Forum, and
you are lucky to get a reply on there even after a week.
So very impressed with MB club, brilliant.
regards

Hi
Thanks fot the input, a c270 it is then!
Just as a after thought I have been a member of the world wide Subaru Forum, and
you are lucky to get a reply on there even after a week.
So very impressed with MB club, brilliant.
regards

Just to wet your appetite a little more...
(See Photo)..
Have to say that in some ways I wish I had never sold my C270..
A brilliant all round car.
I would recommend you allow for having the ATF and filter changed.. It will make a heck of a difference..
Its supposed to be done every 40k !
For the sake of it i say have it done for peace of mind.
Mine was a late 2003 and due to the total lack of rust we reckoned it was one of the early galvanized ones.

Last edited:
I have a c270 cdi, made in S Africa?, now into its 8th year and it has no sign of rust whatever. Its a long-term car so I'm having the Valeo rad and atf replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom