C320 Cdi..What to look for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sspeed

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 CLK320 CDi
Hi,
I am considering swapping my B class for a late 2007 C320 Cdi with 40k on the clock..
It is one of the very last of the old shaped C class saloons to be made..
Is there anything I need to watch for?
I used to own a C270 Cdi some time ago and loved it...
If the 320 is half as good i will be pleased..

Hi,
I am considering swapping my B class for a late 2007 C320 Cdi with 40k on the clock..
It is one of the very last of the old shaped C class saloons to be made..
Is there anything I need to watch for?
I used to own a C270 Cdi some time ago and loved it...
If the 320 is half as good i will be pleased..

Hello Simon,

Only your licence - it's a big engine in a smaller/lighter than your E Class car.

Hold on tight.

See you at Haynes :thumb:

Hello Simon,

Only your licence - it's a big engine in a smaller/lighter than your E Class car...

Indeed :D

I drive a 2006 C-Class (albeit not a diesel one). I had no issues with rust (though Olly says that some do), and the only thing that went wrong so far was the Front Passenger Seat Occupancy sensor which Olly put right for a very reasonable cost.

I would check for any stored errors codes (even if nothing is showing on the dash).

With regards to service history, at this age the car would need to have had an ATF change - worth cheeking.

And, because only the cabin filter is included in the routine serving schedule, other service items to note are air filter and fuel filter, as well as brake fluid change every 22 years.

Other than that... have fun ;)

Great engine great car crap gearbox. In mycar that engine makes it fly. In ac class it will bea laugh a minute. Id probably go forac270cdi. More frugal and plenty quick with aetter transmission.

*** said:
Great engine great car crap gearbox. In mycar that engine makes it fly. In ac class it will bea laugh a minute. Id probably go forac270cdi. More frugal and plenty quick with aetter transmission.

Steve

You would be missing the point. C320 is a world above the c270

Gearbox is fine, suits the C. It's a very quick car.

There was a seal on the turbo that could leak.onto the port inlet shut off motor. Modified seal should have been fitted.

Look for harsh gear changes.

Otherwise I don't think there I'd a lit to go wrong...

I've had an E270 CDi and I can tell you as good as the 2.7 5cyl is, it isn't anywhere near as good as either the IL6 or the V6 CDi.
The 2.7 feels agricultural compared to the 6cyl models.

Hello To all of you!
I drive a 320 diesel ,lots of fun and if you have the 7 speed box its a smooth one too,watch out for problems with the electrics though!
and fuel consumption goes down if you " kick it " ( 23 mpg )

floor it*

Never seen ours down to 23 MPG. Run out of road and have to back off too soon.

Simon.
Two main faults. Inlet port shut off valve. If yours hasn't gone then expect it to go. Cost £550. I'm on my 4th but have only paid for one. Have now a letter from MB saying if it goes again my maximum cost will be 10%.
Other is front crankshaft bearing. Yours should be ok as this is mainly on earlier models. Cost of bearing is only £19. Cost of job is £2800. :eek:
Listen for a non rhytmatic ticking noise. MB are aware of it so will / should help with costs. I got 50% help on a 89k engine. If buying from a MB dealer get them to listen for you.
Other than that I still get a big grin driving mine and love the car.

well i live in germany ( no speed limit )
had chip tuning done got 293 bhp
limiter off top speed 283 km/h roughly 170 ?
have to hold on though
only problem is the tyre wear!

anyone fitted a sports exhaust?
seem to have problems getting hold of one for the 320 diesel?
I`m back in the UK in August, have to take a look around?

Simon.
Two main faults. Inlet port shut off valve. If yours hasn't gone then expect it to go. Cost £550. I'm on my 4th but have only paid for one. Have now a letter from MB saying if it goes again my maximum cost will be 10%.
Other is front crankshaft bearing. Yours should be ok as this is mainly on earlier models. Cost of bearing is only £19. Cost of job is £2800. :eek:
Listen for a non rhytmatic ticking noise. MB are aware of it so will / should help with costs. I got 50% help on a 89k engine. If buying from a MB dealer get them to listen for you.
Other than that I still get a big grin driving mine and love the car.

Is this is a common problem or just one that 'can' turn up? Also, is this a problem on a W211 CDi?

Thanks

It's a common problem on all the v6 320 cdi engines.

If a seal fails on the turbo, it drips oil onto the shutoff motor and knackers it. Mercedes has recalled cars for a different seal I think to resolve this.

Crackers was unlucky to see it go as often and from what I have read this can happen when the root cause of the failure has not been resolved,

I have seen it once on ours. Part is not expensive, but. It is difficult to get to so labour intensive.

Not sure about the bearing. We don't see many on the forum....

davidjpowell said:
It's a common problem on all the v6 320 cdi engines.

If a seal fails on the turbo, it drips oil onto the shutoff motor and knackers it. Mercedes has recalled cars for a different seal I think to resolve this.

Crackers was unlucky to see it go as often and from what I have read this can happen when the root cause of the failure has not been resolved,

I have seen it once on ours. Part is not expensive, but. It is difficult to get to so labour intensive.

Not sure about the bearing. We don't see many on the forum....

Crockers and wobbly have both had the bearings issue. Can effect any 642 engine. I'm in a minority but I can't abide the 7g box. So much so I went car hunting...

Crockers and wobbly have both had the bearings issue. Can effect any 642 engine. I'm in a minority but I can't abide the 7g box. So much so I went car hunting...

..... Come on - tell more!

Knew about Crockers - missed Wobbly's

davidjpowell said:
..... Come on - tell more!

Knew about Crockers - missed Wobbly's

The shed has shed over 7grand in value in 1year. I was close to getting a 5g c220 sport 204 wagon but the cost of change was too much. I even went looking at a6 Audi 16k miles £16500 3 litre lemans edition 2007 loadsa toys looked good value but its not worth spending 8grand to get so the shed stays and ill put up with 7g spoiling a great engine and chassis set up

I think my turbo problem is common but I was very unlucky to have it go so often. Each fix has been done by a different MB dealer so can't blame any o e dealer.
Bearing issue is less common. To be honest I couldn't hear it until Ollie pointed it out to me. He said he's known cars run for 10s 000 of miles with the noise. I only had it fixed because MB paid 50% and I have a Warranty Direct policy to pick up most of the rest.
Got to disagree with Steve over gearbox. 7G is sublimely smooth. Had a w204 250cdi as loaner with 5 speed. 7G far superior to 5 speed. IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom