• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Caliper colour change.

-Ian

Car
C63 AMG
After getting some ridiculous quotes to paint my calipers red I decided to do it myself. I've only done the fronts so far as I ran out of time but I'm more than happy with the result especially as the total cost was less than £20

1 can if VHT red caliper paint..
1 can of VHT clear coat.
1 can of brake cleaner
AMG decals from EBay

Spraying is the easy bit. 3 coats of red and 3 coats of clear. It's all in the preparation. I have not written a guide as all I did was follow threads from other members that have done the same. I'm more than willing to answer any questions though.

A few photos ��

80-image_675ed53babaf4d69aa47aff8d6237c332639367e.jpg

80-image_68d26de4b89eec3f277b850050250efd6ad3dc05.jpg

80-image_486bacc6fd6bdc6cbec782a4ef32f0e5ea5f5661.jpg

80-image_0ed2eafa4870b6b9388edef1cd836a458cd90924.jpg

80-image_c065c21e9240b3e26c8735a51e59aab5f2abc2f1.jpg

80-image_dd182ad13262210b3ef4696883020bbdd97d76ad.jpg

80-image_b07f34ac0728c9cad2d0e7658fcc23135769a515.jpg

Good job! It looks really neat I have to say

Nice job.

You got a bit on the drive ;)

Nice to see someone having a go. What size are the stickers? What paint was used, heat proof ( not that I think that's needed) spill the beans. Good job tho.

Last edited:
Looks like a neat job :thumb:

Bet you enjoyed masking them up ;)

Nice to see someone having a go. What size are the stickers? What paint was used, heat proof ( not that I think that's needed) spill the beans. Good job tho.

To make it easier.

Decals: 2x 125mm and 2x 110mm AMG CURVED BLACK BRAKE CALIPER DECALS STICKERS HIGH TEMP | eBay

Red paint: VHT REAL RED BRAKE CALIPER, DRUM & ROTOR PAINT SP731 | eBay

Clear coat: VHT CLEAR GLOSS BRAKE CALIPER, DRUM & ROTOR PAINT SP730 | eBay

One can of red and one can of clear is more than enough for the front callipers. I may even have enough left to do the rears as well but I bought 2 of each just in case.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Ian

did u flat the surface and prime or just clean and then paint ..this looks like factory finish or better..gotta look at doing mine now

To make it easier.

Decals: 2x 125mm and 2x 110mm AMG CURVED BLACK BRAKE CALIPER DECALS STICKERS HIGH TEMP | eBay

Red paint: VHT REAL RED BRAKE CALIPER, DRUM & ROTOR PAINT SP731 | eBay

Clear coat: VHT CLEAR GLOSS BRAKE CALIPER, DRUM & ROTOR PAINT SP730 | eBay

One can of red and one can of clear is more than enough for the front callipers. I may even have enough left to do the rears as well but I bought 2 of each just in case.

I hope this helps.

Cheers Ian

Great stuff order it up............beers in the fridge just let me no when your coming :p

They look very nice. Well done

did u flat the surface and prime or just clean and then paint ..this looks like factory finish or better..gotta look at doing mine now

All I did was fully degrease and then rough up the surface with some red Scotch Brite to give the new paint something to grip to. Ironically the job was a lot easier than painting a set of rusty calipers as the surface was already perfectly smooth ;)

Is it much of a job in removing the pins etc......think mine need this doing shortly

Great stuff order it up............beers in the fridge just let me no when your coming :p

All joking aside, if you lived locally I would have helped you out. Oxford to Essex and back is a bit of a trek. :dk:

Ian, firstly what a great job you have done and kudos for having a go yourself.

I too have recently had some crazy quotes to paint my calipers. Seems like alot of the companies only offer it as pary of a full refurb process.

Anyway you have inspired me to do this myself. How did you go about removing all the dirt and grime? Did you use any cleaning solution and or wire brush?

Ian, firstly what a great job you have done and kudos for having a go yourself.

I too have recently had some crazy quotes to paint my calipers. Seems like alot of the companies only offer it as pary of a full refurb process.

Anyway you have inspired me to do this myself. How did you go about removing all the dirt and grime? Did you use any cleaning solution and or wire brush?

Firstly I removed the brake pads and then used brake cleaner to remove all the grime and dirt. Euro car parts are currently selling it for £1.20 for a large can which is a bonus.

I then roughed up the calipers with some red Scoth Brite and gave one more spray with brake cleaner. It evaporates very quickly so no need to dry off.

Then I sprayed 1 light coat of red. Give 10 minutes a then 2 medium coats of red, 10 minutes between each coat. This procedure stops any chances of getting runs in the paint. I then waited 1 hour before applying the decals. Then applied the clear coat in exactly the same way as the red, 1 light coat and 2 medium.

I have to admit I am more Than happy with the outcome and if I'm totally honest I didn't expect it to look as good. I'm an aeronautical engineer by trade. Proves there is no black art to paint spraying :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom