• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Car names and slogans: What were they thinking?

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
In recent years there seems to be a trend toward more and more baffling car names, and slogans which I can only assume have a specific meaning in one language or geography but are just a jumble of words when translated to a different language or geography.

Have you seen any corkers lately, and if so, care to share?

I’ll get the ball rolling. BYD is relatively new to the UK market, and they appear to have named their cars after the English words aquatic mammals.

Strange but at least they gave it a good go: Seal, Sealion, and Dolphin. But then they couldn’t help themselves and threw in some curveballs.

First there’s Atto - how that fits with the aquatic mammals theme, I’m not sure. If I am missing something then please do point it out.

And there’s my favourite the Build Your Dreams Seal U DM-I Boost. Quite why they added what appears to be random letters is puzzling.

Maybe there’s method in their madness, or perhaps it’s just good old fashioned madness!

From their website:

"BYD Super DM (Dual Mode) Technology is what’s inside our plug-in hybrid (PHEV) vehicles. Far from standard, it represents a game-changing evolution in intelligent plug-in hybrid technology.

Exclusively developed by BYD, it offers a multitude of benefits, including energy efficiency, low fuel consumption, driving performance, and comfort.

You can easily identify our plug-in hybrid vehicles as they feature DM in their name. In SEAL U DM-i, the "i" symbolises intelligence, embodying smart and energy-efficient driving principles."

Who knows what they were thinking? It makes sense to someone I'm sure.
Actually, this reminds me that when the first iteration of the Toyota MR-2 (Mid Ship Runabout 2 Seater) was introduced, the name in French speaking markets was shortened to "Toyota MR", as "MR-2" pronounced the French way made it sound like it was a really cr&p car.

The Japanese have a long and proud history of Kazari eigo - throwing random English words at a name, frequently in an equally random order. It wouldn't surprise me to find the Chinese doing similar:

Isuzu Mystery Utility Wizard (5-door Vauxhall Frontera to you and me)
Honda That's (aka the HRV)
Mitsubishi's MUM 500 Shall We Join Us (a Smart ForTwo before Mercedes thought of it).
Daihatsu Rugger Field Sports
Any number of alloy wheels with random branding on them.

The Japanese have a long and proud history of Kazari eigo - throwing random English words at a name, frequently in an equally random order. It wouldn't surprise me to find the Chinese doing similar:

Mitsubishi's MUM 500 Shall We Join Us (a Smart ForTwo before Mercedes thought of it).
I hadn’t heard of any of those! 👍🏻

If you can't come up with a good name then don't name it at all. Audi, BMW and Mercedes avoid naff names by using numbers which seems cool to me.

There are lots of cars with weird and wonderful names form China and the far East that would put me off. Even among European mainstream manufacturers that should know better, there are some that I don't particularly like, A VW Golf is fine but T Roc, T Cross and Taigo don't sound classy to me. I'd need to be 50 years younger to enjoy saying "I've got a T Roc"

Thread drift, but mentioning Japanese and mispronunciation, you know the story behind the classic arcade game Donkey Kong.....
With the giant Ape jumping over the barrels it was a poor translation of 'Monkey Kong'
But it was too late to change it when finally it was picked up, back in the good ol' days

Back on topic, I can't get past the Ford Mustang being a mid level, bland, slightly bloated EV.
There's a halo model they've lost forever.

And the Mini (that isn't anymore)
And the Cupra Born leaves me confused

Thread drift, but mentioning Japanese and mispronunciation, you know the story behind the classic arcade game Donkey Kong.....
With the giant Ape jumping over the barrels it was a poor translation of 'Monkey Kong'
But it was too late to change it when finally it was picked up, back in the good ol' days

Back on topic, I can't get past the Ford Mustang being a mid level, bland, slightly bloated EV.
There's a halo model they've lost forever.

And the Mini (that isn't anymore)
And the Cupra Born leaves me confused
And why call a bloated five door Ford SUV a Capri when it could have been a Cortina?

There's a Mazda Bongo Friendee round our way.

And why call a bloated five door Ford SUV a Capri when it could have been a Cortina?
Didn’t they do this to the Puma also?

Ah well, they’ve got the the Fiesta up their sleeves now for a rainy day comeback!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom