Cellulose or 2k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I need to paint the bonnet of the rally-car, and am stuck between paints...

I don't need a good finish, but I don't want it falling off halfway through the trip....

Most importantly, it needs to be CHEAP!

So I'm thinking cellulose... right?

M.

Hammerite

LOL... but too expensive... I need CHEAP... and mean, really cheap!

I'm looking at 1L of cellulose for 15£ + 1lt of thinner for whatever that goes for nowadays...

M.

2k is more durable and won't leak solvents after hardening, however harder to use than cellulose and make sure you use a respirator when spraying.

2k can kill you if not done right so I say cellulose.

Our painters all use water-based and then depending on the job, varying coats of laquer for durability.

use rustoleum?

thins with white spirits and will spray like cellulose or you can put it on with a roller - just a bit slower drying

sets rock hard and is available in a full range of colours

Can you get Rustoleum in the UK.? If not use Jenolite Repaint. In fact use any non oil based paint suitably thinned.

Buy from a commercial decorators merchant.

I don't need a good finish, but I don't want it falling off halfway through the trip....

M.
2k all the way.
Easier to apply, longer lasting, better finish, and much easier to refinish if you need to spray it again later for any repairs.
Cellulose would be like opting for points instead of electronic ignition. We were phasing it out when I first started spraying in '76!!

M.

Plant enamel, cheap as chips and bullet proof

2k all the way.
Easier to apply, longer lasting, better finish, and much easier to refinish if you need to spray it again later for any repairs.

Dangerous to use without proper breathing equipment/protective clothing etc etc

2K really isn't suitable for 'home spraying'

I wouldn't worry too much - that respirator is OK for a one-off job - though it's not particularly comfortable compared with something from 3M.

Thanks - I'll put my order in for 2K paint then; I just need to find 2K thinner now!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom