Changes in the Law.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday I watched a "UK Mail" delivery driver driving down the bus lane whilst holding a phone to his ear.
I'm sure his bosses would have been pleased if they knew.

I often see police on their mobiles!

If I were parked up, using my mobile phone, with the engine off, I'd not accept a fixed penalty ticket. In what circumstances are you 'driving' if the car is parked and the engine is switched off?

The law states - "You can only use a handheld phone if you are safely parked or need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency"

The definition of "safely parked" is too vague.

When I'm going somewhere by 'Satnav" (Tom Tom) I sometimes press the screen for "the voice" to repeat what it has just told me. Or sometimes turn the volume up or down as I would with the car radio. Interfering (oh err Matron) with your satnav can also be 6 points and two hundred knicker.

The day after the law was changed I looked in my mirror to see a guy driving a half decent Porsche chatting away with his smart phone pressed to his ear. Even if the car did not have Bluetooth (unlikely) surely he is wealthy enough to buy some sort of hands free device ?

I just think there are people out there who simply do not give a fcku.

We also have many drivers on our roads who are from countries where using a mobile phone when driving is a way of life and driving around at night with both front and rear fog lamps on is a national sport.!!

Many of these people only get news from internet feeds from their homeland and probably have no idea that what they are doing is illegal.

And lets face it Plod are pretty useless at catching these people and even worse at getting them convicted...even when they kill someone. :confused:

P.S I know someone who refuses to pair his phone to his car as other people in his car can see who is calling him on the dashboard display. He simply uses his phone as normal when driving. I might add he lives in a country where this is not illegal.

I often see police on their mobiles!

You are lucky , police are as rare as rocking horse poo around here.

See some driving past occasionally , normally four in the car , but honestly cant remember the last time i noticed a "beat" bobby in the area.

Kenny

The police were stretched because they were out trying to catch people driving and using mobile phones.
The same way that certain police forces have solved all serious crimes in their areas ,so they reward their officers with a BMW and tell them to look for people speeding!

Alternatively, if people showed a modicum of restraint and drove to the Highway Code instead of behaving like children who wilfully ignoring something they don't like or only behave when it suits them, perhaps police forces across the country wouldn't need any officers engaged on traffic duties, thus freeing them up to deal with "serious crimes." :doh: :wallbash:

Human nature dictates that there will always be breaking of the law, be it the highway code or otherwise. Otherwise we would not need any Police eh?

I think the issue is that the laws are not fairly enforced. Yesterday for instance, a Police car was at the front of the queue at a Red light, a cyclist sped past them, and past the lights still at red, what did they do, nothing, not even bat an eyelid.

Not saying I always drive within the code but have never actually been pulled for my driving so guess it works both ways.

Well I did get pulled over once for over taking on a Pedestrian controlled crossing. The police car slowed down to less than walking pace so I carried on as normal. Not quite sure what he expected me to do under these circumstances?

Last edited:
Cars with stop/start won't stay off forever though. They come back on when certain criteria are met.

Perhaps it could be "keys in ignition and on phone, guilty".

Just like the drink driving thing - even if you had no intention to drive.

Also to add to this, on the radio the other day it was mentioned that a number of motorists are driving with excess of 12 points on their driving licence, one had 68!

Based on "I need my licence to work" points just mount up without a ban.

Also to add to this, on the radio the other day it was mentioned that a number of motorists are driving with excess of 12 points on their driving licence, one had 68!

Based on "I need my licence to work" points just mount up without a ban.

I read and heard this. LIke most I was staggered to hear verified the quoted 68 points and still driving. I see no justification anywhere for allowing this to happen, it is insane. Various organisations put up theories as to how to this could happen - Totting up - Moving Address - Multiple Offences on the same stretch on the same day etc. But the stark fact remained that it is happening and that the chap (in Yorkshire) with 68 points is closely followed by many more with outrageous amounts of points.

The one very clear message being that nearly of these cases involve camera's and NOT Police Action.

Sadly, since I wrote the OP I have witnessed no real reduction in the amount of feckless people driving around with their phones pressed to their ears. I have yet to spot one single Police car on the road in Kent. I travel the M2 - M20 daily along with the a249 and a229 and not one single Police Car. I fear that this will be a flash excercise as the Police do not have the resources to concentrate on it for any length of time.

NB* I am no way blaming the Police here. This is about individuals who are happy to flout the law putting themselves and others at risk. We should not rely on the Police to stop this. People need to take some responsibility for their own behaviour.

Last edited:
ash59fifty-uk said:
Police are too busy spending money on plain liveried HGV trucks to nab people on their phones on the motorway Or pulling people over twice a week :devil: let's say no more about that one, lol

Ash, We've been watching Crimewatch and it has explained the most likely reason you have been pulled over recently. I'm not on song with boxers, but that former boxer whose car was attached and he and his driver sprayed with ammonia and the boxer dragged along the road were attacked by someone in a white C or E class.

Perhaps this has previously been said, apologies if so, I'm not aware of it.

Ash, as I'm sure you do, be patient friend. It must have been a horrid experience for this disabled person and his driver...

lisa110rry said:
Ash, We've been watching Crimewatch and it has explained the most likely reason you have been pulled over recently. I'm not on song with boxers, but that former boxer whose car was attached and he and his driver sprayed with ammonia and the boxer dragged along the road were attacked by someone in a white C or E class. Perhaps this has previously been said, apologies if so, I'm not aware of it. Ash, as I'm sure you do, be patient friend. It must have been a horrid experience for this disabled person and his driver...

Unless this happened in regularly since 2014 unfortunately I don't think it applies to my experiences, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom