Choking on cold start ups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike1308

Car
Mercedes e350 v6 diesel 2011
Hi all,
Ive got a e350 v6 cdi on cold start up its like its choking (missing). And the car shakes slightly. My inlet seal on the turbo had split, so i changed it but noticed oil underneath the intake pipe to the turbo.and was smelling of oil so was thinking that was just the access oil that was from the seal leaking burning off?

I had someone look at it not in depth and they said it could be my inlet port shut off motor?? But i have no codes no loss of power just what ive mentioned above.

Has anyone experienced this before please?

Regards

Startup issues are usually the glow plug relay. It could be other things but these are the most common things to cause startup issues

Change the turbo seals regularly as they are a poor design…

Try 2 or 3 ign cycles first thing , see if things improve,and come back here. 👍

Also look at changing the PCV as these degrade and allow excess oil into the turbo which is what you are seeing at the turbo seal.
Already change this when i changed the inlet seal

Startup issues are usually the glow plug relay. It could be other things but these are the most common things to cause startup issues

Change the turbo seals regularly as they are a poor design…
Wouldnt this throw a code up?

Wouldnt this throw a code up?
Older om642 engines suffer diesel fuel leaking back over night , so the first start of the day can be delayed and a bit rough. I once owned a w219 CLS without dpf . I changed all 6 glow plugs and the relay , it didn't seem to cure anything,but 2 ign cycles on a morning it would fire instantly with no white smoke .

Hi guys just an update im still having the same issue but once started now there like white smoke dont know if its condensation because it's cold.but it smells like unburnt fuel... could it be my glow plug really as all plugs have been changed?

Regards
Mike

Plug relay , if it's popped at certain positions those plugs won't heat up, the white smoke is unburnt fuel.

Plug relay , if it's popped at certain positions those plugs won't heat up, the white smoke is unburnt fuel.
Hi mate thanks for the reply..

I will see if i can get 1 today local to me

Will the relay cause the unburnt fuel smell and white smoke?
The relay controls the supply of electricity to the Glow Plugs.
When the engine temperature is cold the Glow plugs are activated by the relay to heat the fuel so that it can burn more fully.
If the relay fails to supply the glow plugs in cold weather the mixture will be cold and not burn as thoroughly.
So, "No" the relay doesn't cause it directly, but it can often be the reason for fuel smell and white smoke when the engine is cold.
Hth.

Got my new module coming on monday..but maybe me being paranoid..but when i just stopped fans were on after a 20 min drive...i let it run for abit..revved it slightly and it looked like blue smoke but could be me being paranoid..so turned it off..went in for 5 mins come back out turned it over again revved it and nothing came out..

Am i just being paranoid 😂

White smoke is unburnt fuel , blue smoke is burning oil, black smoke over fuelling.

Correct me if I'm wrong , people of the forum. 👍

White smoke is unburnt fuel , blue smoke is burning oil, black smoke over fuelling.

Correct me if I'm wrong , people of the forum. 👍
Its probably me being paranoid im not losing any oil at all. But hasnt done it again

Worn injectros also could cause cold start problems, but thay should not cause excessive fuel injected to cylinder, vice versa. If you could read live data during first cold crank, fuel problem could be ruled out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom