CL65 AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nonsense, I've owned a couple of 55k's. A standard S600 or CL600 twin turbo will smoke them.
On a track or autobahn, for sure. On normal UK roads, the biturbos are too high geared for the circumstances and spend too much time off boost, unless you flap around manually. Kompressor a faster everyday tool to get in and go.

Things can add up pretty quick on a V12 Mercedes but even a V8 AMG can be expensive to own too I would think
I’m on my second V12 Biturbo Mercedes ( S600 before and now S65AMG ). They are old cars now and all of them need work but some more than others.
I have my moments that I feel like I’m fed up and think I should just sell it and buy something newer but then I go for a drive and somehow it makes sense to keep it :D
I drove the S65 Wednesday and it seems like most people can’t help but stare at the car. So much road presence and then you get a chance to stretch its legs and it makes you laugh out loud because even though you know it’s a very big engine, the way it pulls it’s just crazy.

This CL65AMG looks good on the outside, I like the colour too

On a track or autobahn, for sure. On normal UK roads, the biturbos are too high geared for the circumstances and spend too much time off boost, unless you flap around manually. Kompressor a faster everyday tool to get in and go.

I'm guessing you've not experienced a CL65 because whatever you're saying is not true. I owned an S55K that I daily drove for five years and still own an SL55 which I've owned for 10+ years. The CL65 is faster in every way possible. If you're not used it, it's terrifying.

Sorry, but either you've never had one or you had one with serious issues.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you've not experienced a CL65 because whatever you're saying is not true. I owned an S55K that I daily drove for five years and still own an SL55 which I've owned for 10+ years. The CL65 is faster in every way possible. If you're not used it, it's terrifying.

Wouldn't describe them as terrifying at all. The easiest rwd 600bhp car I've ever owned and driven.

Wouldn't describe them as terrifying at all. The easiest rwd 600bhp car I've ever owned and driven.
If you're used to driving 600hp cars, that might be true. I'll stand by what I said for people who aren't used to it.

I have indeed experienced the CL65, S65, SL65, SL65 Black, S65 Coupe, and all the 600s, over the years. And the matching set of 55s. since the launch of the very first supercharged 55AMG more than 20 years ago in the Black Forest.

None of them had issues, in fact the opposite as they were provided to me by either head office in Stuttgart or Milton Keynes, on launch or when they were nearly new. I would on reflection take a 55K over a 65 or a 600. The supercharged engine is more responsive more of the time, and the nose is noticeably lighter. I can imagine circumstances in which the V12s are better, for example living in Germany in summer.

We are allowed to have different opinions, and perhaps your driving circumstances or style suited the cars more.

We are allowed to have different opinions, and perhaps your driving circumstances or style suited the cars more.

We are indeed allowed to have different opinions but there some facts that remain consistent. For two cars that weigh roughly the same, If you're going to suggest that the one that has over 100hp and 200ft/lbs less is faster? A real world owner would dispute it. Caveats regarding autobahns and living in Germany don't make any sense. If you're able to drive it faster, the CL65 will get there quicker at any speed

If we were talking about replacing engine mounts, or an a/c compressor, you'd have a valid point but from a performance perspective. Unfortunately opinions don't trump facts.

1680921436745.png

As above, I suspect the owner got fed up of repair costs.

For a real world example, take a look at my YouTube videos on my 55 215.

I would have been tempted to place a bid, but luckily I saw this thread after the auction expired :p whew.

I also have to agree with @alabbasi the 65 is definitely faster. If you want to compare mildly tuned to mildly tuned, the 65 would be 670bhp and 1100nm when mildly tuned.

Yes the power delivery is significantly different, with the 55 being much more agreessive at the lower end of the rev range with the SC compared the softer higher rev range delivery of the 65, but when they are going they are flying!

There's a guy in Dallas that has a CL65 for sale for $10k. It's at a repair shop right now and he already dropped $4k into it before bailing, I thought about getting it. I have two S600 TT parts cars with me, One has 50k on the motor and I want to find something for it to go into so I'll look for a 600 instead. If I get another 65, it will be an SL.

65s of all sorts are much rarer on this side of the pond :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom