Cleaning ****nal - what to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi,

This weekend i intend to give the car a good clean, but I don't have much to work with.

So i was wondering what should i buy?

Exterior shampoo - Auto Glym
Wax - Meguires Gold Class
Interior shampoo?
Interior leather cleaner?
Interior leather conditioner?
Interior plastic cleaner?
Interior protector??
Alloy cleaner?
Wheel blacken?

Thanks guys.
R

Only one make of cleaning stuff worth buying in my opinion and thats Swissol (Swissvax). Google it, its expensive but it really does work and makes everything look like new, especially the leather care stuff, its amazing...

If your alloys are really mucky, one you may not think of is Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner - a tip I found on another forum, maybe detailingworld but I'm not sure. Did my alloys last week (on the 968 as well as the C270!) and it did a great job, especially on the inside of the rims.

Re Swissvax - I've had one small demo on my 968 and was amazed - but it's "win the lottery" prices! I'm putting a couple of their items on my Xmas list!

Good prep is the key, and if you really want the paintwork gleaming you have to wash (with merino or microfibre wash mitt, throw the cellulose sponge and chamois away, dry and polish with microfibre only!)) then clay the car first - you'll be amazed how much comes off from an apparently clean car when you clay it! Then maybe a renovator before the polish(es). After claying my 968 a few weeks ago I've achieved a good gleam using :
1. Autoglym Bodyshop Restorer - 03b 1200 grit if the paint is really faded etc, 02b 2000 grit otherwise. Be careful, it's easy (especially with the 03b) to go through, especially at edges. This stuff is best used with a machine (Kestrel DAS6 seems to be the best value for money at the moment, but including pads you're still looking around £100). Use a water spray as well with the 02b and 03b.
2. Autoglym Bodyshop 01B polish - a hard wax for cars that live outdoors (and ***** hard work to polish too!)
3. Autoglym High Definition Wax
4. Finally Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine

It's a lot of elbow grease, but the results are worthwhile and last well. I tried Meguiars Deep Crystal System and Meguiars NXT wax (after claying and 02b restorer), but I feel the AG treatment detailed above has given a better result. I also used AG super resin polish for years, but that is a filler as well as a poilsh so you get white residue everywhere - HD wax is better.

Have a look at detailingworld.co.uk - there's loads to read, including downloadable "how to" guides.

Log on to Detailing World, they have all the answers.

elbow grease is very cheap :D

detailing world is crazy!!

I've been reading it for a while, and to be honest a part of me thinks...it's just a car!! It seems like a bit too much to be honest.

I am now thinking whether a good valet every 3 months would be better than spending an extortionate (£200+) on products.

To be honest, for a newbie/novice car cleaner, 90% will be down to the effort of doing it, rather than the quality of the product.

Elbow grease costs nothing as has been said.

Personally, as a guide (having not seen the car mind!)

Give it a good hose down and wash off
Wash it once more if really filthy. Dry.

Clay bar the paintwork - will remove the contaminants and make it easier to polish as well ;)

Polish the paintwork, depending on the 'polish' and final wax coat to protect it would be a good idea :)

Clean the wheels and tyres, polish the wheels and dress the tyres.

Hoover the inside thoroughly, wipe the dash/door cards down with a mildy damp microfibre. Clean/treat the leather.

Clean the glass, a couple of times if it's in need of it.

There's other stuff you can do as/when you've got the time/inclination, but that's a good start there. I reckon you could make yourself a reasonable cleaning/polishing kit for £50-100, depending on the products you choose.

Halfords have had a 3 for 2 on cleaning stuff for a while - applies to all brands IIRC too :)

I recommend:

Meguiars Gold Class shampoo (£15 for a reasonable sized bottle)
Liquid leather cleaner/conditioner (about £10 for the pair, not in Halfords etc though)
Mequiars clay kit - used to be about £15 but I think it's changed now?
Autoglym interior shampoo - for general interior cleaning - not expensive

Polish/wax is a personal thing and there's loads to choose from. Gold class wax not great, doesn't last very well for general use. Perhaps Autoglym 'Super Resin Polish' as a good general polish for a newbie, can't really go wrong with it :cool:

Don't forget the before/after pics :D

No need to spend £££s unless you're really into it. Oh, and try and get a 'wash mitt', much better for your paintwork than a sponge :thumb:

Will

detailing world is crazy!!

I've been reading it for a while, and to be honest a part of me thinks...it's just a car!! It seems like a bit too much to be honest.

I am now thinking whether a good valet every 3 months would be better than spending an extortionate (£200+) on products.

I've just totted up what I spent for mitt, cloths, clay and AG products and came to £100, not £200+. Yes, it's easy to spend lots more, especially if you go the Swissvax route - they recommended their "best in show" wax for my car - at £135 for 200ml, and that's not their most expensive wax. Even the Zuffenhausen premium wax for Porsche cars is £80, and their concourse glaze is £335!! Shop around, especially on eBay - AG HD wax can be up to £35, but I found it for £20 brand new.

One thing I forgot - once you have your alloys bright and shiny, give them a coat of Rimwax (I know it sounds a bit like KY jelly but it's not). Apparently it stops brake dust sticking to the alloy, makes subsequent cleaning much easier - just as a good coat of wax does for the bodywork.

A big benefit of a weekend mini-detailing the car is the way she comes back gleaming when washed for the next few months, even when she's been out in the weather.

Of course, the other option is to pay someone else to detail the car for you - there's plenty of info about that on the forums, but it will cost anything from about £300 upwards! It cost me £50 just to have the interior of an Astra Estate valeted for selling.

Give it a go - and take lots of "before" detailed photos so you can see the benefits! Good luck.

Well, the sky's the limit for car cleaning stuff, but Meguire's products will do the job and... like everyone else says... plenty of Elbow grease and Microfiber towels!!! :thumb:

thanks guys. i'll give it a go!

bit confused with the polishing part. especially as i'll be doing it by hand.

will be outdoors so need a strong wax.

Might be best to phone you're local Autosmart guy and get some trade items... ?

A polish removes contaminates - a wax goes on afterwards.

I use for polish Meguair #93 and for wax use Autoglym High Definition...

I do enjoy using a snow foam lance -- more for the looks of the foam than anything else..lol..I use Bilt Hammer foam for that and to wash the car I use BH car wash - highly concentrated so just a capful foams up a bucket....

But my car always looks like it could do with a valet...:(:eek:

:thumb:Actually, washing n' waxing the car is a lot easier and more fun if you make a party out of it... get a couple 6 paks Guiness and some pretty girls in Bikini's and have a go at it!

You might not do the best job in the world, but who cares... you'll all have a jolly good time! :D

For me - occasional use of Autoglym Super Resin Polish, regular Meguiars NXT Spray Wax (after every wash) to top up the shine. Thinking about doing Autoglym HD this weekend though especially on the Volvo....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom