Cleaning The Engine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the last 35 years or so, I don't think I've ever had a car or van where I haven't cleaned the engine.
It just looks so much better (especially if selling) and makes it easier to spot leaks, etc.
The only casualty I've had, was a 3 year-old 1981 Nissan Bluebird owned by my Mum and it cheered up again after half and hour or so. :D

In what has become a ridiculous and obsessive quest to find seat comfort, a couple of weeks ago, I bought another set of seats that were attached to a Jaguar XJ8 4.2 Sport.

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-615.jpg

The car itself is in great condition and has regular main dealer service history.

However, the engine bay was awful. Lots of crud, leaves and even soil in some places.

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-603.jpg

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-604.jpg

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-606.jpg

So, after a wash and tickle, remembering to clean behind the ears, it now looks like this.

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-625.jpg

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-629.jpg

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-636.jpg

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-646.jpg

14th-Decenber-2019-Engine-Bay-640.jpg

The results are always pretty much the same, but this one was satisfying because it was in such a mess.

I actually couldn't wait to get my hands on it. :D :D

That sir is total perfection! What a transformation!

This thread has been a tremendous help as I was extremely reluctant to use a pressure washer in fear of water getting into the electrical connectors etc.

Would you advise to cover these with say, cling film or a plastic bag or is that being over-cautious..?

FYI, I'd drive to Cheshire to watch you work your magic on my engine, then take you for a nice lunch and a pint!

Cheers

That sir is total perfection! What a transformation!

This thread has been a tremendous help as I was extremely reluctant to use a pressure washer in fear of water getting into the electrical connectors etc.

Would you advise to cover these with say, cling film or a plastic bag or is that being over-cautious..?

FYI, I'd drive to Cheshire to watch you work your magic on my engine, then take you for a nice lunch and a pint!

Cheers

Hi Quattro,

It really isn't that complicated - easy for me to say that, I know.

If you wish to wrap components you consider sensitive, that's fine.
However, aside from my Mums Nissan Bluebird that I cleaned circa 35 years ago (it stopped sulking after half an hour) I've never had an engine that wouldn't start after cleaning.

Cars these days really are much more water resistant than those from decades ago.

If I genuinely thought someone could have problems after washing the engine bay, I wouldn't offer any advice at all.

You are welcome to call in if you wish, but it isnt really that difficult a job if you read the advice in this thread.

If you decide to do it yourself, I don't mind calling you on the day, either. :thumb:

Thanks for the offer.

(Nissan Bluebird LOL! That brings back some fun memories!)

There's some great info here so I'm confident. I'll get the products together and wait for a dry day.

Novice question regards TRF dilution. In a 5L pressure sprayer should I mix 2.5L of the solution with 2.5L of warm/hot water? Is the overall volume too high? Have I got this dilution all wrong?!

I'm considering the GUNK solution: TRAFFIC FILM REMOVER NON CAUSTIC 5 LITRE CAR TRUCK BUS VEHICLE GUNK TFR 5L 5020618068693 | eBay

Thanks for the offer.

(Nissan Bluebird LOL! That brings back some fun memories!)

There's some great info here so I'm confident. I'll get the products together and wait for a dry day.

Novice question regards TRF dilution. In a 5L pressure sprayer should I mix 2.5L of the solution with 2.5L of warm/hot water? Is the overall volume too high? Have I got this dilution all wrong?!

I'm considering the GUNK solution: TRAFFIC FILM REMOVER NON CAUSTIC 5 LITRE CAR TRUCK BUS VEHICLE GUNK TFR 5L 5020618068693 | eBay

That doesn't look overly strong and it is non caustic, so I would dilute around 65/70 TFR to 35/30 water and leave to work for around 4 minutes.

In bottom of your 5L sprayer, add around 1 inch of chemical and top up with roughly 1/2 inch of water.

Remember to wash off any overspray on the exterior paintwork and Do Not let the product dry anywhere.

RINSE WELL. :thumb:

I just love a good coating of silicone in an engine bay......:eek: When you are working on them it makes life difficult holding on to your tools.:p

I suppose sillicone spray would look similar to the stuff I use - LINK, which is also available in matt finish.
It's less slippy than sillicone spray and calms down after around a week, but still looks great.

That Jag in the first post ended up not too far from you, Olly.

Loving your work :) Reminded me of Chris Fix' video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you must…
(Only 9k on the clock though)
Dare not use water with those orange cables!!

Attachments

• D2269066-A2F1-4BAC-BC73-87987A5BE710.jpeg
    D2269066-A2F1-4BAC-BC73-87987A5BE710.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 8F748B0C-B92C-4C4D-97CA-E5A238D26F5D.jpeg
    8F748B0C-B92C-4C4D-97CA-E5A238D26F5D.jpeg
    358.9 KB · Views: 18
Jumping on the bandwagon here...

1. Cover electrical bits n bobs (inc alternator) with some nice Asda carriers (other carriers are available)
2. Spray liberally with degreaser
3. Agitate with a brush
4. Pressure wash off
5. Wipe down with clean rags/paper towels
6. Remove bags
7. Spray with WD40 and/or dressing
8. Start car and leave to run for 10 mins (or so)

Total time - no more than 20 minutes

Attachments

• 20180511_220813-COLLAGE.jpg
    20180511_220813-COLLAGE.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom