CLK hunting.... or SLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Problem with all the smaller cars is that yes, you can stuff little packages into all the nooks and crannies but it is a PITA. Most of our trips are are made up of mainly one night stops which is why I'm getting custom luggage that makes effective use of the boot space.

Products | Toplift.se Open Sky Motoring | Convertible and Roadster accessories

Curious to see what you think of them Rory, would you let me know your thoughts when you get them please?

Several trips of 1-2 weeks and 1-3000 miles - no problems with luggage space.

But, like Phil, I am used to packing light on 2 wheels...and i have a set of 4 tailored luggage bags which maximise capacity and guarantee the roof lowers...

I nearly bought these...

MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 2011-2015 CAR BAGS SET 2 PCS

I lucked out on a “used once” set of these for £120.....

Roadsterbag Mercedes SLk R172

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 219
Curious to see what you think of them Rory, would you let me know your thoughts when you get them please?

I was waiting for you to weaken.....and buy them :). I'll probably order them this week as my wife says I'm procrastinating again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several trips of 1-2 weeks and 1-3000 miles - no problems with luggage space.

But, like Phil, I am used to packing light on 2 wheels...and i have a set of 4 tailored luggage bags which maximise capacity and guarantee the roof lowers...

I nearly bought these...

MERCEDES-BENZ SLK 2011-2015 CAR BAGS SET 2 PCS

I lucked out on a “used once” set of these for £120.....

Roadsterbag Mercedes SLk R172

I prefer the look of the Carfit but they don't do the SL. The owner (at Carfit) had said he was looking for a SL to measure up but the was over a year ago (too little demand I suppose).

I've been hoping to pick up a used SL set - but have seen none. I'm ordering the SL version of what you have over £500-00 :(.

I prefer the look of the Carfit but they don't do the SL. The owner (at Carfit) had said he was looking for a SL to measure up but the was over a year ago (too little demand I suppose).

I've been hoping to pick up a used SL set - but have seen none. I'm ordering the SL version of what you have over £500-00 :(.

We like to take enough clothes/underwear that we don't need to worry about doing laundry too often and still have fresh clothing.

When biking I used to take old undercrackers and t-shirts and leave them behind

Until, whilst checking out one morning, the maid came running down the corridor, waving what looked like a soiled flag of surrender...

Sorry - thought you were looking at SLKs not SLs.

I can't speak for the R172, but the (admittedly SLK 55) R171 is a mad little hotrod with very stiff suspension. It's perfect for back road insanity, but I'd not want to do a long trip in it. The boot is surprisingly roomy, top up, provided you travel light, but my wife would have found it far too small for the amount of stuff she invariably took with her.

For touring....CLK with a V6 is great. But I am biased. I’ve had my 350 on a few European trips. As far as Italian lakes. Alpine passes. Endless autoroute miles. And it has never been anything but the perfect GT. Last road trip we took a small tent and all the gear. And still got it all in with the roof able to be put down.

No comfort issues either and I’m 6ft 2!

We have both an SLK (R171) and a CLK (W209) both with the 200K engine and 17 inch wheels. For a long trip the CLK wins every time. Much more comfortable and relaxing to drive and more luggage space. Useful for bringing back the wine/spirits etc while we still can

We went on quite a few long trips in our SLK 200 (facelift R171), including twice camping at Le Mans where our luggage included a tent, camera gear, walking boots and clothes for a week (could still get the roof down). We went up to Scotland a few times, once running up to John O Groats and along the top before coming back down through the highlands to Pitlochry. Also with two other SLKs, we went on a road trip to the Italian Dolomites via Germany (got it to 140mph on the autobahn :) ) on the way out and the Alsace on the way back.

Neither my wife or I had any discomfort, aches or pains on these journeys. Cracking little car that was totally reliable (failed headlamp bulb was the only issue encountered) and we enjoyed it a lot over the seven-years that we had it.

Just another ‘out of the box’ idea .

How about a W124 Cabriolet ?

The E220 will be quite economical and the E320 goes quite decently.

Both have a huge boot , plus back seats , exude style ( to my eyes a much better looking car than any CLK , which will attract admiring looks wherever you go , unlike the others ) and you will never lose money on one now , in fact keep it a few years and it will gain in value .

Nice ones aren’t cheap , but they are out there , and a well looked after one will be reliable.

A 124 cab is a good shout, but a lot more wafty than a CLK or SLK and considerably older tech and safety. I don’t say that in a derogatory way though. I’ve often thought of swapping my clk for a 124 but it’s a very different proposition. Good, but in a different way. And as pontoneer says....depreciation proof!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom