• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Coil springs again

normanr

Hi Guys
1999 W202 rear springs good old dreaded Merc problem,I thought once compressed you could just slide them out but as you can see thread at the top is stopping me from tipping it forward,as you can see removed shocker completely.

I obviously need to drop more but can anybody guide me as to what.

Thanks
Norman

Attachments

• P1010209.JPG
    P1010209.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010210.JPG
    P1010210.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Hi Guys
All sorted as photo

Norman

Attachments

• P1010211.JPG
    P1010211.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 80
Hi Guys
1999 W202 rear springs good old dreaded Merc problem,I thought once compressed you could just slide them out but as you can see thread at the top is stopping me from tipping it forward,as you can see removed shocker completely.

I obviously need to drop more but can anybody guide me as to what.

Thanks
Norman

Like you, the rear springs broke on my W202, and I could not compress them sufficiently to remove them. What I did was to insert a wooden bar between the lower arm and the chassis and got a child to stand/balance on the bar. This dropped the lower arm by another extra couple of inches or so which was just sufficient for me to remove the compressed rear springs! It was still really tigh, but just achieveable for me! Your experience may vary depending on your spring length etc.

This experience led me to purchased the shorter compressor bar designed for the rear springs (KL-0025-2 or MB part number W202589023100 priced at £455). I was lucky enough to snap one up for around £350 inc postage from Germany. However I have not had to use it yet, so cannot report back on how sucessful this is. As far as I know the shorter bar is is only available as original equipment from Klann or MB, as I have not seen any aftermarket copies, yet!

Alternatively, some readers have reported that they have dropped their rear lower arm to remove the springs! Sounds dangerous to me, but if you do this, please note that you should strictly get a four wheel alignment done at your MB dealership once you reassembled the arm back together. This can be an expensive solution as my local dealership charges £250+VAT for a 4-Wheel alignment! I wouldn't bother getting a four wheel alignment done outside the dealership as I have found that it doesn't work - it has to be done the MB way with their equipment and loading!

Good luck.

Last edited:
normanr

I don't know if it's just me but the photo looking up into the spring perch (top of spring) seems to be missing a rubber buffer pad, is that so ??????????

It also seems as if there is no taper on the upper spring end to help turn the spring into the spring pad.

I assume it was the lower end of the spring that snapped, am I correct ?????

The springs have not previouosly been installed upside down have they ?????

Hi kth286

Yes there was a rubber on the top in good condition as well,as you say it was the bottom of the spring.

There is no taper on both ends and as far as I know they are the original (only 63000 genuine miles)

Attachments

• P1010213.JPG
    P1010213.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010212.JPG
    P1010212.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 67
Hi Wong

Are you sure about the lower arm according to the Haynes manual it just says if bushes need replacing they need to be pressed in there is nothing about a four wheel alignment.

If you look at what I have done I have not disturbed any alignment just undone the bolt and dropped the arm down or am I missing something

Norman you should be ok as there is no adjustment on the rear bushes, just the toe in. If any adjustment is required you have to buy a special bolt.

Hi Wong

Are you sure about the lower arm according to the Haynes manual it just says if bushes need replacing they need to be pressed in there is nothing about a four wheel alignment.

If you look at what I have done I have not disturbed any alignment just undone the bolt and dropped the arm down or am I missing something

This was what the parts manager at my local dealership told me when I was enquiring about the spring compressor. He was extremely helpful, we discussed several options and he took several of my questions to his workshop buddy. (He even asked if I could borrow the workshop spring compressor for the weekend!). I therefore had no reason to not believe him on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom