Comand joystick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulsweatbead

Car
E350 Avantgarde saloon 2010
Hi Everyone.
Have just purchased my first Mercedes E350 Avantgarde 2010 last week and am absolutely over the moon with it. It's great to be a part of the MBClub.

I've noticed that the rotary function of the Comand controller has the very common problem of doing nowt due to the frail shaft breaking deep within the unit.
Am I right in thinking that all functions of the dial can be performed with the 'left-right-forward-backwards' functions of the controller except for zooming in on a sat-nav map?

I've watched the YouTube video of a bloke repairing the shaft with superglue and wooden matches but during my browsing of the problem I came across an ebay seller in Germany who 3d prints a stronger replacement shaft for £20.

Has anyone fitted one of these modifications? Do they work OK? Is it lasting?

Thanks for your time. All the very best,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to MB ownership the E350 cdi is a great car. Sorry but I haven't had experience of the Command Selector breaking or it's repair. Was this a known problem when you bought the car? If not do you have any warranty via the seller?

Mark

Yes, mine went on my W204. Easy job to repair after watching the YouTube videos but don't use superglue use araldite. I strengthened mine with wire from a paper clip and is still ok.

I'd be interested if you could post up a link to the 3D printed shafts from Germany.

Mine was broken on my e350 coupe when I bought it. Followed the video on YouTube and fixed it with araldite and some tooth picks and it's been working fine for the last few month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why spend £20 when the repair is so cheap and easy. It's so easy to fix once it's out of the car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking, jgy6000. Problem is that the removal, replacement and dismantling of the Comand control unit looks quite complex and time consuming and I'm wondering how long the Araldite method is going to last.
From reading comments in our forums it would seem that the Comand joystick is prone to failure after only 4 years of use. It is designed to flex but the hollow plastic shaft's walls are only a few microns thick and eventually fracture due to what I'd assume is plastic fatigue.
To replace it would be a day's work for me as I'd never forgive myself if I so much as scuffed the beautifully finished interior in my haste to remove/replace the joystick unit. I wouldn't mind forking out £20 if it's going to last.
Perhaps I should just bite the bullet, buy the 3d shaft and see how it goes. I'd obviously share my experiences with the club as it seems it's a common failure which costs an absolute fortune to rectify at a dealership. It would be great to discover a long-lasting cure as this seems to be the only thing on a beautiful and complex 5 year old car (my first Mercedes - bought it last week) that aint working.

Last edited:
Successful Repair

Hi Everyone.
Have just purchased my first Mercedes E350 Avantgarde 2010 last week and am absolutely over the moon with it. It's great to be a part of the MBClub.

I've noticed that the rotary function of the Comand controller has the very common problem of doing nowt due to the frail shaft breaking deep within the unit.
Am I right in thinking that all functions of the dial can be performed with the 'left-right-forward-backwards' functions of the controller except for zooming in on a sat-nav map?

I've watched the YouTube video of a bloke repairing the shaft with superglue and wooden matches but during my browsing of the problem I came across an ebay seller in Germany who 3d prints a stronger replacement shaft for £20.

Has anyone fitted one of these modifications? Do they work OK? Is it lasting?

Thanks for your time. All the very best,
Paul

Hi Guys & Gals,
I eventually purchased a replacement rotary shaft for the Comand control unit manufactured (in Germany) from aluminium. The most difficult part of the procedure by far was replacing the sliding drawer assembly back into its position. It was a very tight fit with a great potential for damaging the high gloss veneer finish, but, with time and patience the job was successfully accomplished.
Shaft replacement within the control unit, although a bit fiddly, was straight forward enough.
It has totally transformed operating any aspect of the Comand System whether it be Sat Nav, Radio, CD, DVD, Telephone, Memory Card, etc.
For anyone who has a dysfunctional rotary function on their Comand system due to the common failing of the flimsy plastic inner shaft, I’d highly recommend having a go at this effective modification.
It was certainly well worth the blood, sweat and tears

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom