Comfort or Sport ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On page 173 it refers to S as sport for the E55.
Maybe a different gearing in the box for the bigger engine car?
Don

Or maybe a presumption on how the E55 is likely to be driven over other models in the range...

My manual (2009 W211 Sport 320 CDI) says I should normally drive in 'S' mode

Just started using s mode in my new 212 as it's almost on 1,000 miles now,had in mainly in c mode until now but been using the flappy paddles once engine is at normal running temp in lower gears & holding on to them upto around 3,000rpm then switching back to c mode(prefer s mode for normal driving & c when slippy or stop/start traffic).

I only use S in town or if i have to start/stop regularly, i find C takes ages to get of the mark especially with the family in the car.

I read somewhere that once you are on the move you are not meant to move between the two modes, I assume its guff.

I was under the impression the transmisson didnt change modes till the car came to a standstill. Or is that only 722.6 transmissions.

I believe the w211 amg Has an adaptive gear box , that to a certain existent holds the gear to suit your driving style . Loads on the USA sites about doing a quick reset and as default holds on to the gears almost to the red line .

I believe the w211 amg Has an adaptive gear box , that to a certain existent holds the gear to suit your driving style . Loads on the USA sites about doing a quick reset and as default holds on to the gears almost to the red line .

Not just AMG versions...most MBs do that. I know mine does...and it's old.

I only use S in town or if i have to start/stop regularly, i find C takes ages to get of the mark especially with the family in the car.

Same here in a W209 280 Petrol. Commute to work is fine in "C", when I've got the clan with me "S" works much better. When I feel like Lewis Hamiton then "M"

If "C" is chauffeur, is "M" master and "S" slave?

S - For normal everyday use
C - For slippery winter conditions

That's what I use in my W211.

My understanding from ferreting around in some of the 7g technical docs (e.g. training material for mechanics) is that the adaption is reset back to "normal" (i.e. least sporty) every time the ignition is turned off.

Many internet explanations on how to reset the gearbox adaption are really only describing the procedure for recalibrating the pedal and throttle (so just ensures that foot off pedal corresponds to minimum throttle, pedal fully down corresponds to full throttle).

Why does my 5g start in C on start up? It doesnt seem to remember S. ?

Why does my 5g start in C on start up? It doesnt seem to remember S. ?

I think MB go out of their way to avoid standardisation. The 7g box on my CLS remembers the selection, while the 7g+ on my wife's SLK always starts in C.

I think MB go out of their way to avoid standardisation. The 7g box on my CLS remembers the selection, while the 7g+ on my wife's SLK always starts in C.

That's interesting.
I thought that the 7G always reverted to "C" upon start-up.

Hi Rash, mine didn't, started in the mode I left it in. No matter what, it would jerk whatver it said there...LOL

Hi Rash, mine didn't, started in the mode I left it in. No matter what, it would jerk whatver it said there...LOL

Lol

Hey dude :thumb:

Again, interesting. Mine always defaults to "C" :dk:

It's no biggie, I just switch it back to "M".

I figured it was a safety feature or something. Well, not "safety" as such, but something :dk:

C gives better fuel economy (provided you don't try to get the same performance as S). So if you want to drive gently and save fuel C will change gears up earlier at more economical revs than S.

On some more recent Mercedes they have made it revert to C for environmental reasons. MB are total schizophrenics. One minute the emphasis is all Blue Efficiency and save the planet. The next minute everything is being called Sport or AMG.

When I bought my w203 it was running in c mode, I soon changed it to s and have been running the car like that for about a month now, after seeing this last night, I poped it back in the c mode and drove it today and have to say it does drive nicer, and as said it makes the most of the cdi's low end power, will see how it goes over the next week or so.

With it pulling off in 2nd gear, is this likely to put extra strain and wear on the auto box?

Last edited:
They invented "C" to stop the missus ploughing your nice Mercedes into the garage wall!

Clever these German engineers!

That's interesting.
I thought that the 7G always reverted to "C" upon start-up.

Mine always does, I almost never switch to sport mode as I find the comfort mode nice and well......comfy, if I want to snap passengers necks then I switch to sport mode :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom