Coming back to MB after a wasted year in an Audi S5?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you’ll really struggle to get it rejected, but I suppose it’s worth a punt...

If I was in your shoes (and if they don’t “buy it back”) I’d simply put up with the loan car etc until the car was fixed then get rid straight away, it’s obvious you’ve lost complete faith in it now and sometimes it’s just better and less demanding by getting shut and moving on.

Well they are getting on with the repair at Audi, and hope to have it back to me next Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a mini facelift in 2012 where they changed a few bits. Only subtle changes but enough to make a difference. This car is ‘mini facelifted’ - straight DRLs (although that particular change is evident on some ‘pre-mini facelift’ cars for some reason) and the newer steering wheel are the giveaway.

A ‘hybrid’ mini-facelift car - hockey stick DRLs and the new shiny steering wheel but only the 292bhp engine. Strange...

2011 Black MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 3.5 E350 Sport 7G-Tronic 2dr for sale for £10991 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

An E350 (£21k) and an E500 (£18.5k) now on Autotrader - both 2012 cars, the 350 seems overpriced compared to the 500, but it does only have 16k miles on the clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar dilemma when I needed to replace my Saab 9-3 convertible, still wanted 4 seats and had a teenager who needs plenty of leg room in the back. In a sensible price range, the choice was really limited, the Audi A/S5 range, the Mercedes E class or the Volvo. Volvo is just pig ugly so that one was out.

Tested both of the others and the Audi was far more dynamic but felt a little like you sat on it rather than in it, the Merc less dynamic but better driving position. 2 years on and the wish I had gone for the Audi, the Merc is soooooo boring and actually not that well built, certainly not a premium car. The Audi would of at least had some character.

Also spent some time with the V6 (be it diesel) and that smoother, is not really any quicker in real life traffic to be worth the drop in mpg. Now the Petrol may well be the sweet spot, and have driven a couple and they feel a little more engaging, but I never know how much mileage I will be doing for work, so a V6 petrol doesn't work for me at the moment.

Saying that, I don't dislike it enough to loose a few grand in trading it in, so am going to make some changes to try to make it more engaging and enjoyable. Will then swap it later for something more interesting.

I'd perhaps wait until you get the car back and see how you feel about it when it is fixed. If you are not convinced the fix is final then best get shot, but otherwise I'd take time to consider and only go for what you feel is absolutely right.

400ixl: I`m surprised you felt that the Mercedes wasn`t a premium car, as opposed to the Audi ?
I`m now in a 212, and find it better quality than the RS5 I owned a couple of years back.

Don`t get me wrong bud, not criticising you at all here, as we`re all different, and all like different things, etc..but that`s one of the things I love most about my Mercedes (first time I`ve owned a Merc, by the way) - its build quality and comfort. I honestly think that both are exceptional, whereas I never really thought that about my RS.

Here`s a quick pic of my RS back then (sorry about the see-through bonnet business, just a bit of a photography task I did at the time)

4sOVbme.jpg

400ixl: I`m surprised you felt that the Mercedes wasn`t a premium car, as opposed to the Audi ?
I`m now in a 212, and find it better quality than the RS5 I owned a couple of years back.

Don`t get me wrong bud, not criticising you at all here, as we`re all different, and all like different things, etc..but that`s one of the things I love most about my Mercedes (first time I`ve owned a Merc, by the way) - its build quality and comfort. I honestly think that both are exceptional, whereas I never really thought that about my RS.

Here`s a quick pic of my RS back then (sorry about the see-through bonnet business, just a bit of a photography task I did at the time)

4sOVbme.jpg
Don’t apologise, it looks great!

An update on my Audi experience.

Well, I've just had a message that my car is ready and back at my local dealer. They either cannot or will not deal with the gearbox cause rather than effect point - they've replaced the control unit but what caused it to fail [incurable overheating within the gearbox being the widely reported reason] they are silent on. I set out my case in detail and asked them to make an offer to buy it back - taking into account a year's mileage and depreciation. in response to the buy back request this is the email I've had:

"...Your car arrived back with us this afternoon. I have carried out an appraisal and spoken to both the ****** VW and Audi buyers and as such value it at £16500 as is...."

The car was bought for £21,500 fourteen months ago [and has been in the workshop for the last two months], and similar age cars are on Auto Trader for anywhere between £19k/£21k [12 and 62 plates - mine is a Jan 2012 61 plate]. Audi have two 12 plate approved used cars for £20k. I get that a year may have cost me £2k/£3k, but not £5k, and I have a time bomb gearbox to boot!

I will persevere to get a fair deal out of them, but I think I deserve better than a trade in price. Am I better off leaving the car with them until this is resolved or taking it back? I am also curious to check the mileage and all the historic fault codes to see if there's anything there to help my cause...

By the way can anyone recommend a good solicitor for this sort of stuff to apply a bit of pressure? I know plenty of good construction lawyers, but horses for courses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom