Coming back to the fold, but 204 or 205 C63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FirstMerc0

Car
W204 C63 AMG
Used to own a facelift W204 C63 PPP. Loved the car, the noise, the character, but got a speed awareness course, and something stupid in me started nagging, and I traded it against an RS3. I've regretted doing so ever since.
The Audi is - as many describe - fast in a straight line, quick gearbox and lots of grip, and it's got most of the toys, but nearly a year on I've found myself still toying with the idea of another C63, and I know of a good one for sale with all the stuff I'd do already done to it, and a trusted owner. The Audi just doesn't have much personality, and yes it's fast but doesn't feel or look as special as its price tag may suggest.

What I'm wondering is - should I try a W205 saloon first before I go and look at the 204...
A mate who works for AMG says the 205's are an absolute animal compared to the 204's, but I'm looking at the new saloon compared to the new coupe and thinking it looks like a poor relative; the front and side's ok but the rear lights and boot...hmmm.

One of the things I loved about my old 204 was the build quality, the cabin was quiet unless you were on the throttle, and in general it just felt a lot better put together than the Audi.
The Audi is of course cheaper on tax and fuel, although my experience with their dealership servicing departments are among the worst I've experienced in any marque bar Ford.

Has anyone owned both and give me some feedback? I've read the Pistonheads post on it, and did a quick search on here, but most are for people buying, rather than listing the differences.

I'm biased but think that the estate version is better looking than the saloon (205) and the coupe better looking than either.

205 Coupe if practical.
You wouldn’t look back.
Biased opinion of course

I hear what you say about the Audi, I have an S5 (supercharged 3.0 V6) which is as quick as a C63 (6.2 V8), has better fuel economy, cheaper RFL, cheaper insurance and is superbly equipped and extremely capable but it has no personality. My SL is slower, much worse on fuel, no where near as well equipped but has personality in bucket fulls and I love it.

Last edited:
I had the conundrum a while back. didnt help i was after an estate with 500 hp and couldn't find a unicorn 507 edition wagon.

Sound wise , the lump in the 204 is indeed its strong suit and the sound track is special. the 205 seems a bit manufactured in comparison especially as it has an exhaust flap button. Also the 205 seems to have better sound insulation so it never sounds that loud inside the cabin even though to people outside it sounds rather loud.

Aside from the drop in displacement by 1/3rd , the quite mediocre looks of the 205, and the eye watering depreciation curve , the 63s feels like a heavily tuned 204 out of the box . It has a lot of torque and is wilder

For the money the 204 gives you better value but you're getting an older car. That said, if you are happy to part with extra cash then the 205 is a step up overall in every respect , more torque , much better handling , v fast transmission , newer tech , superior interior more slidy and boisterous.

OP when you test drive them both, I suggest you dont put the 205 in comfort mode

Thanks for the replies folks. So I went to see the 204 last weekend and instantly loved the thunderous noise and acceleration (again). The fact people are saying the 205 sounds a little muted is off putting and whilst I will defo try and drive one the extra tech and gadgets isn’t what I’m looking for - it’s the excitement and the speed; so many modern cars have tried to be too refined and this seems to be the downfall - if anything it’s the Achilles heel of the Audi as it lacks drama, just point and squirt, without a great deal of driver involvement.

btw check out the 507 edition wagon in the forum's classifieds, it is a rare beast indeed...only one for sale in the country I think ! I'm tempted to go for it but my wife would rip me a new one.

definitely test drive a 205 as noise alone may not be reason enough to pick a 204. I was all in on the 204 and had driven more than one. got behind the wheel of a 205 (non s) at mb world and that sold me instantly due to its multi faceted nature. The 204 is very one dimensional in comparison but what it does well, it cant be beat, ie sound.

for noise:
definitely 204 from inside the car.
205 can only do better pops and crackles as stock but a bit muted in comparison. outside the car, the 205 idle sound is better but when you rev them up, then 204 (other than pops and bangs which is 205)

looks:
the 205 is very disappointing.

acceleration/ speed:
tricky as the torque curve is linear on the 204 , accelerates more like an audi in terms of grip, which is good, if you want easy accelerating then 204. But you have to push that engine hard to get the most out of it and also for it to play.

205, comical acceleration as wheel spin is guaranteed from anywhere in the rev range unless you practice plenty. no need to ever push the car up the rev range to make it play.

At the traffic light GP the 205 will always accelerate v fast but will have added drama and traction loss.

204 is also disappointing on up shifts vs 205 which shifts instantly.

handling (other than the black series):
205 (in s spec) any day of the week. handling is like an M3 on stiff dampers. corner carving etc in the 205 is a fair bit better than the 204
The 204 I think has a bit more steering feel as it is hydraulic but gets let down slightly by handling.
the 205 is much wilder too due to its torque and luckily traction control is better and has 4 "settings" in the s version. For me , I wouldn't look at a 204 without an LSD.

Driver involvement :
tricky as the involvement from the 204 from its sound and steering feel are compelling. But after a while the 204 ends up being a one trick pony.
the 205 is much harder to get to grips with and is far wilder and requires loads more involvement when even pushed 40 percent. I can get in a 204 and push it 70 to 80 percent without much drama instantly but cant do the same in a 205. it takes a long while to get the hang of the 205 which to me makes it the more rewarding drive.

conclusion:
take a serious look at that 507 edition wagon !

Thanks for the replies folks. So I went to see the 204 last weekend and instantly loved the thunderous noise and acceleration (again). The fact people are saying the 205 sounds a little muted is off putting and whilst I will defo try and drive one the extra tech and gadgets isn’t what I’m looking for - it’s the excitement and the speed; so many modern cars have tried to be too refined and this seems to be the downfall - if anything it’s the Achilles heel of the Audi as it lacks drama, just point and squirt, without a great deal of driver involvement.

Reactions: HB
204 for me but I'm biased

205 has way too many gears. In comfort mode it’s in 6th then 8th before you can up much speed. I didn’t enjoy it. Quite a bit of road noise and you can hear the exhaust when sitting at tick over. Not experienced a 204.

As Mr Right says have a chat with the owner of the 507 estate, Uber rare and a lovely specimen :thumb:

If you still want a normal 204 then it is easy to find a good one as there are loads coming up for sale this time of year. Take a look at the C63 AMG UK group on FB. You can then add upgrades as you see fit to get the car as you want it. My 507 coupe has the uprated suspension option fitted and handles brilliantly as well as blasts down the road at any provocation. Firms like MSL and the like will be able to add performance and handling upgrades to a standard car if you find one you like if the 205 does not feel good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom