• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Confused. 275/30 R20 or 275/35 R20?

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 (both sold) & SL400 (current)
Shortly I'll be needing new rear tyres for my 2011 S Class S350L (20" AMG alloys) . Michelin Pilot Sport 4s currently fitted. Fronts have 255/35 R20 and rears 275/30/ R20. I've read that 275/35 R20 can also be fitted on the rears of this model but can't find anywhere what is actually recommended or best. When researching prices it seems that the 275/30 R20 Pilot Sport 4s tyres are almost £100 per tyre more than the 275/35 R20 ones (Less rubber but more £s!).

I'm confused. Do I keep to the 30 size or save £s and go for the 35?

Best place for tyres (or just Google?). Been looking at Asda, Halford, Blackcircles, ATS, Costco...

I was so fed up with sidewall damage & poor ride I downsized (upgraded) my wheels to 17" & fitted 255 45 17 98 V tyres all round.

I don't perceive any change in handling and the ride is better :thumb:

I was so fed up with sidewall damage & poor ride I downsized (upgraded) my wheels to 17" & fitted 255 45 17 98 V tyres all round.

I don't perceive any change in handling and the ride is better :thumb:
I've no plans to change my wheels, just wanted to get clarification as to the best choice between the 2 tyre sizes mentioned.

It sounds as though you have been lucky & not suffered sidewall damage, maybe Kent has better roads than rural Hampshire.

Nevertheless IMHO the deeper the sidewall the better so would go 35.

Good luck.

NJSS

Also look at Camskill and ATS

As for tire size I'm in a similar situation for my E63. Rears are 285 30 19 and choice and supply is limited. More options with a 35 and oddly the fronts from factory are fitted with 255 35 19

Although there's nothing really wrong with the ride quality I've also considered some 18's from a newer c63/e63

As far as I am aware, 20" was never available as genuine option or accessory for the W221?

If so, then there's no 'approved size'.... just go to Alloy Wheels Direct - Buy Alloys, Wheels and Tyres and check what tyre sizes are suitable for your rims (based on the current rims R, J, and ET).

BTW, have you informed your insurer of the wheels upgrade?

As far as I am aware, 20" was never available as genuine option or accessory for the W221?

If so, then there's no 'approved size'.... just go to Alloy Wheels Direct - Buy Alloys, Wheels and Tyres and check what tyre sizes are suitable for your rims (based on the current rims R, J, and ET).

BTW, have you informed your insurer of the wheels upgrade?
Hi Mark, assuming this is for me? I think you're right 19s for the W212. I haven't changed anything yet, just looking at options.

Hi Mark, assuming this is for me? I think you're right 19s for the W212. I haven't changed anything yet, just looking at options.

What I was trying to say, is that the easiest way of knowing if wheels and tyres will be fine with your car, is by looking at the various wheels and tyres combinations that the car manufacturer offers for this model.

I have looked it up but could not find any MB documentation that shows 20" wheels on the W221. I am guessing that the car didn't leave the factory with these wheels?

It is possible that someone fitted AMG (genuine or fake?) to the car at a later date, and if so then these are probably wheels originally intended for the S63 AMG?

These are the original-fitment wheels for the S63 AMG (W221):

Screenshot-20230519-214813-Samsung-Notes.jpg

Based on that, I would say that you could use
20" 9.5J rims at the rear with 275/35R20 tyres. But are your rims actually 9.5J?

Try running the VIN in a VIN decoder online, it should tell you what size wheel the car was originally delivered with.

Last edited:
What I was trying to say, is that the easiest way of knowing if wheels and tyres will be fine with your car, is by looking at the various wheels and tyres combinations that the car manufacturer offers for this model.

I have looked it up but could not find any MB documentation that shows 20" wheels on the W221. I am guessing that the car didn't leave the factory with these wheels?

It is possible that someone fitted AMG (genuine or fake?) to the car at a later date, and if so then these are probably wheels originally intended for the S63 AMG?

These are the original-fitment wheels for the S63 AMG (W221):

Screenshot-20230519-214813-Samsung-Notes.jpg

Based on that, I would say that you could use
20" 9.5J rims at the rear with 275/35R20 tyres. But are your rims actually 9.5J?

Try running the VIN in a VIN decoder online, it should tell you what size wheel the car was originally delivered with.
Thanks for the reply. However, my car did leave the factory with these wheels. I have the Oasis report showing all the options that it came with from new (£15k+) including Code 771: Optional 20" AMG 5-twin-spoke alloy wheels (below is taken from 2011 W221 Brochure).

The insurance company said they didn't need informing of any options that the car was originally supplied with.

Screenshot_20230520_085905.jpg

Thanks for the reply. However, my car did leave the factory with these wheels. I have the Oasis report showing all the options that it came with from new (£15k+) including Code 771: Optional 20" AMG 5-twin-spoke alloy wheels (below is taken from 2011 W221 Brochure).

The insurance company said they didn't need informing of any options that the car was originally supplied with.

View attachment 141155

Do you know what J are the rear rims on your car?

View attachment 141155
If they’re a factory option the tyre sizes should be on the sticker on the filler cap with their associated pressures

I've just read through the owners manual and it looks like 275/35 R20. (and not 275/30 R20 as currently fitted) are the correct size tyres for the rears on my car

Screenshot_20230520_111100.jpg

Current setup

Screenshot_20230522_110626.jpg

New setup

Screenshot_20230522_110841.jpg

Doesn't look right to me, or am I overthinking it?

Last edited:
I've managed to find a 2011 sales brochure of the new S Class (same as mine when new). The wheel options show my wheels and quote:

AMG 5 - twin - spoke light - alloy wheel with 255 / 35 R 20 front
and 275 / 35 R 20 rear tyres ( optional extra )

Looks like the previous time that the rears were replacedon my car they were the incorrect size (275/30 R20).

All understood now.

Screenshot_20230524_204009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom