Cornish drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was visiting Cornwall in 2018. On the narrow lanes I came up behind a large tractor towing a very large trailer. Stuck behind this for several miles and a queue of traffic behind me. At last the road widened with enough room to overtake. Mirror, signal, manoeuvre.
Level with the front half of the trailer the tractor driver makes his move. Bearing in mind he was not indicating before I made my move, he went to turn left into a farm track. To do this he swerved right across the carriageway I was in to make the turn rather than slow down.
I was fortunate that I could see what was happening & there was a level verge for me to move onto whilst having to floor it to avoid the overhang of the turning trailer coming through the roof of the car.

I commute from Town to work in the Countryside, just a few miles but worlds apart in driving.

In the Countryside the main hazards seem to be from tractors and HGVs well over the centre of the road on bends, plus the weekend motorists who don't seem to know (or look) where they are going.

In Town, the main hazards seem to be from oncoming vehicles overtaking parked cars without adequate space for those travelling in the other direction and "anticipating" green traffic lights (or imagining them altogether.

I guess that bad driving is universal... but it just varies in the specifics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom