• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Coulthard confirms retirement decision

I would be VERY interested to hear Defiant's thoughts regarding Coulthard going across to America to compete in NASCAR?

I appreciate the fact that there are some top US drivers competing in this very competitive formula and they are not stupid.

regards
John

I'm sorry to let you down, John. There's every likelihood you and others on this board are more conversant in NASCAR than I am. I don't completely disregard it, and I do not disallow that driving anything at the edge of its absolute limit is a skill set head and shoulders above mine. But I've never been able to make the translation from American sedans to the cars on the street as was intended- the oval racing circuit (including open-wheel races like Indianapolis) has never appealed to me.
I also find the put-on "good ol' boys yappin' about them fast racey cars" turns my stomach.
But, like most popular American sports and games, it's a matter of the sponsorship money, what gets on TV, and (back to the Media situation) what we're inundated with and indoctrinated by.
This is not to say F1 is without parallels to NASCAR in very many ways, and precisely in the details that I don't like about our racing. Like most else, it comes down to taste and preference. I'm not going to get all fussy and patriotic about some concept of "better" or "best".
I'm all in favor of drivers seeing what other branches of the sport are about.
I'm still fairly convinced one of the best drivers of recent times was probably A.J. Foyt, having competed in and won so many varied kinds of car racing. But then what about those who've done it on motorcycles and then successfully crossed-over?

I'm still fairly convinced one of the best drivers of recent times was probably A.J. Foyt, having competed in and won so many varied kinds of car racing. But then what about those who've done it on motorcycles and then successfully crossed-over?
I get so confused with American car racers ans A J Foyt is someone I always associated with stock car racing and the # 43, but I suppose there must have been any number of A J Foyts :devil: ;)

I can see Coulthard being devoured by the likes of Montoya :)

Regards
John

Don't forget he is a part owner of a very nice hotel in Monaco
On a similar theme Eddie Ervine invested in property and is doing ok as far as I know. DC, I think was tipped to be a part of BBC's F1 team. I am not convinced that he has enough charisma for that.

I get so confused with American car racers ans A J Foyt is someone I always associated with stock car racing and the # 43

Now you sound like me talking about cricket. #43 is Richard Petty, who raced hardly anything other than NASCAR. He's also one of the most gentlemanly, considerate, and noble men you'd ever hear drawl out a sentence.
A J Foyt won Indianapolis, Le Mans, set the world's record closed course speed at Talladega (driving a Porsche), and much more than I could list- beyond dirt-track and NASCAR championships.
Further, he went..... hey! Wake up over there! I'm typing at you! This isn't some cricket match!:D:D:D

I was driven around Silverstone by Coulthard a few years ago after I had driven him around the circuit was doing some PR work for Ford at the time in a RS Focus, seriously nice guy no airs and graces really down to earth, strangely enough a few months after that I found myself in the company of his sister in Ayr Scotland small world!!!

Now you sound like me talking about cricket. #43 is Richard Petty, who raced hardly anything other than NASCAR. He's also one of the most gentlemanly, considerate, and noble men you'd ever hear drawl out a sentence.
Mega embarrassment,
As a child I even converted a scale model Ford Galaxy, I painted it up in the famous Richard Petty colour's and adapted it for scalectric racing. Not sure that Petty ever raced a Galaxy, but that was the only American car kit I had. I should have remembered. :o :o :o

340x.jpg

I would recommend you try to watch a game of twenty/20 cricket :devil: :D None of your fielders wearing woozy gloves (apart from the wicket keeper) and lots of action. ;)

Not sure that Petty ever raced a Galaxy, but that was the only American car kit I had. I should have remembered. :o :o :o
King Richard was all MoPar, usually Plymouth, until the last years when he still wanted to win an occasional race and jumped the fence to Pontiac. Still, awards for your trying.
I would recommend you try to watch a game of twenty/20 cricket :devil: :D None of your fielders wearing woozy gloves (apart from the wicket keeper) and lots of action. ;)
And if I do, it would appear I'd swell the fan base by 50%..... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom