• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Creaking from rear suspension

lexuscol

Car
W203 006 model
I have suddely devoped a creak from the O/S/R suspension on a W203, Could someone tell me if all the bushes are replaceable or do I have to buy the complete arm whichever is needed when I find the culprit.
Reccommendations as to whther to do all on both sides would be gratefully appreciated
Col

It could be a number of bushes causing it. Find out which first.

It is most likely to be the bottom arm outher joint.

I have suddely devoped a creak from the O/S/R suspension on a W203, Could someone tell me if all the bushes are replaceable or do I have to buy the complete arm whichever is needed when I find the culprit.
Reccommendations as to whther to do all on both sides would be gratefully appreciated
Col

(We need an FAQ. It is becoming the weekly W203 noisy suspension thread.)

Let's pool all our knowledge and part numbers into one list of soltions.

ANSWER: The W203 has hopeless lubrication on the bushes and it fades and becomes useless. A good grease and lube done with grahpite paste will solve the problem. More than likely the rose joint is worn and causing instability in the alignment.

I given to understand that the best way to find out which bush is at fault is to undo each bush (one at a time of course) and see if the noise disappears is this correct or is there an easier way I have tries the old wd40 but this made no differnce.
Col

I would not recommend spraying WD40 on any rubber bush unless you intend to replace it. WD40 is not a rubber lubricant and may cause deterioration to any good bush through time.

Through past experience with these things, if it is a bush that's squeeking, it should be able to be pinponted with the car jacked up, wheel removed and a bit of leverage applied to each and a bit of skilled eye spotting to find the culprit.

I would not recommend spraying WD40 on any rubber bush unless you intend to replace it. WD40 is not a rubber lubricant and may cause deterioration to any good bush through time.

Through past experience with these things, if it is a bush that's squeeking, it should be able to be pinponted with the car jacked up, wheel removed and a bit of leverage applied to each and a bit of skilled eye spotting to find the culprit.

Suspension work should probably get done initially on a four post hoist with the bushes under load. Raise the car 62 centimetres (2 feet :crazy: ) and evaluate the condition of the rubber components.

When you raise the car and take the wheel off on a normal hoist you really lose a great deal of information on which joint is worn.

Also, you cant release any tension on bolts with the wheels off, that will set the bush into the wrong unloaded position and destroy it when the load position is applied.

To be frank .... by the time you work out which one it is you could replace the
- rose joint
- thrust bush
- sway bush (if present)

and
- lubricate all the others

The high cost of labour and low cost of parts does not justify having a careful inspection given that you should do this every second time you do the transmission oil.

Last edited:
Hi again, I have now discovered that the noise is from the O/S/R lower wishbone inner bush. Could someone please advise if this bush can be swapped in situ or do I have to remove the lower arm?
Thanks in advance
Col

I think its not a separate item.

I think it comes with the arm.

I have never had one creak before. It is nice to have the extra info.

It's a bit off topic but may be usefull, I've realized on previous W202 and today W203 that every time I go down the car I hear a creaking noise coming from the rear, it's not the suspension it's the parking brake system, try without pulling it, isnt'it?

The bushes are available.

Rear suspension.

You need to lower the arm inboard end to do it.

Got the new bushes OK but not fitted yet, Information Only.
I slackened off the nut and bolt that goes through the bush( Under preload of course) retightened the nut and bolt and the creaking has totally disappeared, for how long I don't know, But I have the new bushes for when if'n the creak comes back

Hi - glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

With my C320, the constant creaking starts only after the first 10mins from when the car is driven first in the day (seems to be only when the engine is warm). Is the same for everyone else?

Also does anyone have a rough idea of cost to replace a bush and arm?

If I take it to MB to provide only a quote to fix the problem, will they actually identify the faulty bush?

Thanks

Probably tell you it's more than it actually is, find a good indie plenty on here that would give you a fair and honest deal to sort it.

I have the exact same problem with my W210 E200 2001. It is the inner rear ones that are creaking. Is it possible to do them without the "special tool kit".

I was thinking about putting car on axle stands and then placing a jack under the arm supporting the spring while I remove the bolt, then lower arm slightly and "knock" bush out. Is this possible?

Advice appreciated

Thanks

MFK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom