Cryogegnic intake systems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
Seems like a cool idea ;) A novel use of a fire extinguisher,I like the name of the system cryo2.Seems like a resonably cheap means of power increase though cryo tecnologycryo2 I wonder if it will catch on,Anyone interested yet?

Hmm interesting idea but I guess you need to be sure that

a) its not going to restrict the flow through the air intake

and

b) none of the Co2 gets sucked into the intake as that would lessen the combustion.

My first thoughts are that the difference in power would be negligeable.... I mean can you tell any difference in performance in your engine between a hot summers day and a bitterly cold winters morning? I bet it aint much even if you can and thats with a much greater temperature difference than this kit will ever provide. (up to 60% cooling)

Not so sure on this…

Not so sure on this… we are not talking a huge difference in cooling. Also its not too cheap to get a CO2 bottle refilled.

With modern high compression engines water injection is a proven technology and is the way to go. In fact Daimler Benz fitted it to their Piston engines for Luftwaffe combat aircraft back in WWII. It gave 10-15% boost in performance, due to it cooling the charge as it evaporates (cooler charge is denser and gets more fuel into the engine, Intercooler does the same thing) and also reducing knock. Of course being Germans, they then went and added methanol to the water and gave even more power! Then they added Nitrous Oxide as well… horsepower addicts! - somethings never change :)

I'm sure most people will have noticed that their engines run smoother and seem more responsive on damp mornings… this is why.

My lecturer at Merchant Navy College back in the 70's told me all the thermodynamics theory would come in useful one day… thanks Mr Heberhalle!

Andy

Last edited:
vito113 said:
I'm sure most people will have noticed that their engines run smoother and seem more responsive on damp mornings… this is why.
My old Peugeot 504 usually refused to start on damp mornings :p but that could be down to the French designed electrics on a '79 vintage car. :devil:

S.

Sp!ke said:
.... I mean can you tell any difference in performance in your engine between a hot summers day and a bitterly cold winters morning?

Yes. :)

Mine is definetly quicker on cold and cold/damp days rather than hot dry days. Different on mine cos of the turbo and intercooler, one mod I would like to do is to upgrade the intercooler.

I saw a car at Santa Pod once that had a CO2 kit to freeze the intercooler, most impressive to see all the mist around the front end.

I think your already pushing the envelope!

jimmy said:
Yes. :)

Mine is definetly quicker on cold and cold/damp days rather than hot dry days. Different on mine cos of the turbo and intercooler, one mod I would like to do is to upgrade the intercooler..

A bigger intercooler or a water cooled one would definately give more oomph, but I think your already pushing the envelope there Jimmy! 300nm+ impressive!

A bit off thread here for a minute but did you know that despite what the car makers would have us think, Common Rail Direct injection, intercooled and Turbocharged Diesels are not a new idea?
A British company called Doxford were building them for merchant ships back in the 50's! Bit big though, you could climb inside the crankcase to work on them. One of the largest marine engines is the Sulzer 12 RTA96C which develops 90,000 BHP at 100 RPM. It has 12 cylinders. Each one is 960 mm bore and 2500 mm stroke! Plenty of power for you there, but I don't think it would fit in a W202 chassis ;-p

Anyway enough of the techie nerd bit,

Andy

Sp!ke said:
I mean can you tell any difference in performance in your engine between a hot summers day and a bitterly cold winters morning? )
When i was younger and had m`bikes i could notice the difference when going home at night in the cool,damp air, New Forrest roads--the `bike was more responsive to throttle and you could actually hear the exhaust note was crisper when going `thru misty conitions.

When I was a lad of 16 I had a moped.Honda 50cc 4 stroke,Proper bike style not a step thru or one with pedals a bit like the CB100 but only 50cc. Tuned up to hell :devil: .I'd always notice when I went to the coast on it, the bike would go faster and would definatly run smoother and be more responsive.Very strange

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom