• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Advice needed 1980 380E

Well the rubber connection pipe seems to be ok.
As it only pumps from the tank when cranking it’s a bit hard to check the flow so I connected a wire from the pump and to the battery. With the feed to the CIS removed it pumps it’s mainly air and just a little fuel when I connect the pump.
The strange this is the cars owner had drained the tank and put back in 15L of clean fuel.
I would have thought 15L would have been enough to give a supply. Looking at spec reserve is about 12L?
Just a thought but is the reserve a manual switch or does it use it automatically ?
Thanks

Well the rubber connection pipe seems to be ok.
As it only pumps from the tank when cranking it’s a bit hard to check the flow so I connected a wire from the pump and to the battery. With the feed to the CIS removed it pumps it’s mainly air and just a little fuel when I connect the pump.
The strange this is the cars owner had drained the tank and put back in 15L of clean fuel.
I would have thought 15L would have been enough to give a supply. Looking at spec reserve is about 12L?
Just a thought but is the reserve a manual switch or does it use it automatically ?
Thanks
The reserve is just a warning light which comes on when the fuel level reaches a certain level , there is a contact within the sender unit but there is no separate feed pipe or tap to be changed over as was the case , for example , on my Ponton .

When the tank was drained , how was this done ? Was the fuel siphoned out from the filler neck or through the hole for the sender unit ; or was the strainer removed from the bottom of the tank ? If the fuel strainer was not removed from the bottom of the tank and either cleaned , or ideally replaced , then it could well be blocked . I’d also wonder if the feed hose coming out of the bottom of the tank might have a blockage ?

The presence of air sounds to me more like a leak in one of the pipes as it is hard to imagine where it is coming from .

I’m now wondering about the components in the fuel pump pack under the car : the pump itself , the injection fuel filter and the fuel accumulator ?

This is puzzling .

The reserve is just a warning light which comes on when the fuel level reaches a certain level , there is a contact within the sender unit but there is no separate feed pipe or tap to be changed over as was the case , for example , on my Ponton .

When the tank was drained , how was this done ? Was the fuel siphoned out from the filler neck or through the hole for the sender unit ; or was the strainer removed from the bottom of the tank ? If the fuel strainer was not removed from the bottom of the tank and either cleaned , or ideally replaced , then it could well be blocked . I’d also wonder if the feed hose coming out of the bottom of the tank might have a blockage ?

The presence of air sounds to me more like a leak in one of the pipes as it is hard to imagine where it is coming from .

I’m now wondering about the components in the fuel pump pack under the car : the pump itself , the injection fuel filter and the fuel accumulator ?

This is puzzling .
I will ask what and how these things were done and get back.
Need to get it jacked up to get under
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom