DAB PROBLEM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hedgehogwood

Car
mercedes executive edition 220d w205 2016 Estate
Re DAB radio on c class W205

I have been having a lot of problems with the DAB reception. I have tried countless suggested ideas without any cure.

I went online and one hit came up with a winner. He thought it was random but it worked, he had a rear dash camera and when he disconnected it all the channels came back. Yes just by disconnecting a dash cam all his and my problems was solved.

This might be worth informing members with DAB radio problems.

Been posted many times on various car forums but always worth reiterating :thumb:

Unplugging the Dashcam may well restore the DAB signal, and I acknowledge that I also discovered this (and retro-fit USB cable sockets) seem to block radio signals.
However this is not, imho, a resolution to the problem.
Sure, it cures the symptom. Nonetheless most of us with Dashcams would like to be able to have them switched on most of the time, and be able to listen to the radio.
Has anyone actually discovered a way to resolve the interference issue that is not retrogressive. ?

I.E. ; Chopping off your foot stops your persistent Athletes foot infection, but imho it is not a valid cure.

Some people have had success using a ferrite core on the camera cable.
Thanks very much for the constructive suggestion SpikyMikey, sadly that's one of the (many) unsuccessful cures that I have already attempted.

Attachments

• 1661181528398.png
    1661181528398.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 5
It might be a case of finding out where the DAB aerial is (and the wiring to it) and trying to get the dashcam cabling as far away from it as practically possible.
How are you powering the rear cam? Is it slaved from the front camera or powered separately?

Can one buy screened power cables?

It might be a case of finding out where the DAB aerial is (and the wiring to it) and trying to get the dashcam cabling as far away from it as practically possible.
How are you powering the rear cam? Is it slaved from the front camera or powered separately?
The rear cam is slaved from the front camera.
That Cable screening looks interesting, I think I may invest in some & give that a try.
Thank you for the suggestion.

That Cable screening looks interesting, I think I may invest in some & give that a try.
Also available here (and probably many other places - Google is your friend!)
Search results

I asked about how it was powered as sometimes it's not the cam causing the problem, but noise generated by the switch-mode DC-DC converter in a hardwire kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom