Dead instrument panel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren1717

Car
CLC 180K Sport. C class Sport. Audi A5 Sportback.
ok... need some help here please!

Got in the car this morning, 09 petrol CLC. The main instrument panel was dead when I switched on. No rev counter, no speedo, no lights, no center display, nada. The car drove ok and the exterior lights were working, indicators, etc. Also had power to the radio and air con unit. I was thinking fuse.
Took it out at lunch and suddenly had every warning light on main instrument panel alight... main beam, both indicator arrows, srs light, eml light, etc., but still no revs or speedo or center display. To confuse me even more, these lights stayed on when I switched off and removed the key!
So, now I have fuse 42 removed (instrument cluster) and the car at home, and a puzzled brain.
Wiring issue, or is there a chip somewhere gone wonky?
Any ideas where to look or what to check, before I call an auto electrician and break open my wallet?

Thanks

Had similar in my old w204.

New instrument cluster needed.

Cartronix in Surrey ?

Thanks for the tip... appreciated.
I have a guy lined up for Monday if needed, but was wondering if I could have a dabble at it myself?!?
Just wondering where to start looking :dk:

Had similar in my old w204.

New instrument cluster needed.

:eek: Really?
Can I test it somehow? If it is fuc... broken, then I’d rather not shell out for someone to come tell me that!

I’m sure there is but no idea how!

If you search there are a few places that will repair your cluster for around £150.

Ok update... after reading info on here, I’ve cancelled the auto electrician and booked to have the instrument cluster repaired with Cartronix in Waterlooville.

Nice day out!

Will update if all successful. (I’ll be gutted if it still don’t work:confused:)

I had a similar problem with the display in my W204 at the end of last year, took it to Prestige who got a firm in Waterlooville to fix it, I guess it may have been Cartronix. Used a speedo app on my phone as a temporary measure while the cluster was away, only took a couple of days though

... was the car ok driving with no cluster?
I ask because I am tempted to drive the merc to Cartronix, and refit there to check all ok before I leave. Just don’t fancy a 2 or 3 hour drive with no instruments!
My current plan is to remove and drive my other car there, then return and refit.

Update...
So it’s all working!
It was the actual cluster that was gone (a processor, quite common I’m told).
Simple to get it out, took 5 minutes.
Big thumbs up to Cartronix in waterlooville. Took the cluster to them and they repaired while I waited, 40 minutes. Tested it on the bench to confirm fault, and tested again to confirm fix. £150, with a lifetime warranty whilst I own the vehicle. Can’t say better than that! The guy there says he does 3 or 4 mercs a DAY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom