• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Dealer Parts Cheaper

Radar

So my partner's GLC went for service this week and they sent the usual video vehicle health check. They indicated that it will be due for front pads and discs in the near future and the dealer would charge £700+ for the privilege.

I've done plenty of brake jobs over the years so have no fear of undertaking this myself. So I went online to the usual suppliers, ECP/Autodoc etc all the prices came back very close to each other at around or just over £400 for the 360mm over the 342mm discs as it's an AMG line.

While googling to determine if it had 342 or 360mm discs (too cold to go and measure ;-)), Mercedes of Edinburgh came up with some listings that looked significantly cheaper than my goto places...

Conclusion: for £320 I got a front brake 'kit' - pads + discs + sensor.

Moral of the story, sometimes it's worth checking a main dealer.

So my partner's GLC went for service this week and they sent the usual video vehicle health check. They indicated that it will be due for front pads and discs in the near future and the dealer would charge £700+ for the privilege.

I've done plenty of brake jobs over the years so have no fear of undertaking this myself. So I went online to the usual suppliers, ECP/Autodoc etc all the prices came back very close to each other at around or just over £400 for the 360mm over the 342mm discs as it's an AMG line.

While googling to determine if it had 342 or 360mm discs (too cold to go and measure ;-)), Mercedes of Edinburgh came up with some listings that looked significantly cheaper than my goto places...

I’d say it’s always worth checking the dealer prices first.

Mercedes of edinburgh and Mercedes of Newcastle, both on ebay, are my first ,and usually my only, port of call. Great prices and service.

People often assume the worst, it’s often inaccurate. There used to be an industry of people selling main dealer parts on eBay, with a healthy mark up.

Since a handful of main dealers have started taking eBay seriously there is less of it now. Brakes have always been competitive at main dealers.

Moral of the story is more likely that when Mercedes say you need discs, you probably have another 20,000 miles left in them.
For sure. I don't mind having them in stock on the shelf at home for when I really need them. I've got the same on the shelf for my CLS63 as well, however in that case Brembo parts were cheaper than main dealer bits.

Even cheaper on the auto doc app

I've heard this quite often (Dealer being cheaper on some parts). It's a shame they don't advertise their prices but instead require phone calls

Your main Dealer problems arrive when you look at their labour charges.
£255.88 per hour at my local dealers!
Someone has to pay for all of this?Screenshot_20231130-093447_Google.jpg

Your main Dealer problems arrive when you look at their labour charges.
£255.88 per hour at my local dealers!
Someone has to pay for all of this?View attachment 150161
MB Leeds is similar - A right gin palace when you walk in the door.
They make it clear that they really don't need my business.

I've heard this quite often (Dealer being cheaper on some parts). It's a shame they don't advertise their prices but instead require phone calls
Where would they advertise their prices? I can’t say that I’ve seen other parts suppliers advertise prices of specific component either.

Am picking up a new fuel filler cap (attaching restraint split recently) and it was only £25 on eBay
But local dealer who I will drive past this afternoon, is only £19!

Can't think why I checked with them, but glad I did (that's 20% cheaper)

Am picking up a new fuel filler cap (attaching restraint split recently) and it was only £25 on eBay
But local dealer who I will drive past this afternoon, is only £19!

Can't think why I checked with them, but glad I did (that's 20% cheaper)

Did exactly the same a couple of weeks ago from Europa in Sheffield. Got sick of the flappy restraint every time I filled up.

There are actually two Mercedes dealers in Sheffield. The swanky glass and chrome Mercedes Sheffield that looks just like the pic above and Europa. Europa had the franchise throughout my childhood but lost out when the new one opened. They worked hard to retain the servicing and warranty side and they're like a breath of fresh air compared to the more corporate dealers. Want a part number? Want to speak to a mechanic? Want a price match with Edinburgh or Newcastle and next day delivery? No problem. They even lent me the tools to change the plugs on my M112.

Did exactly the same a couple of weeks ago from Europa in Sheffield. Got sick of the flappy restraint every time I filled up.

There are actually two Mercedes dealers in Sheffield. The swanky glass and chrome Mercedes Sheffield that looks just like the pic above and Europa. Europa had the franchise throughout my childhood but lost out when the new one opened. They worked hard to retain the servicing and warranty side and they're like a breath of fresh air compared to the more corporate dealers. Want a part number? Want to speak to a mechanic? Want a price match with Edinburgh or Newcastle and next day delivery? No problem. They even lent me the tools to change the plugs on my M112.
That’s good to hear. I thought about trying them, but had my heard anything good or bad, so pleased to hear.

That's day light robbery

But still less than the local plumber ...
Blimey what plumber do you use!?? I needed one for a boiler repair recently. £45 call out, £50 per hour, charged in 30 minute segments. I thought that was OK....and he wasn't even Polish!

A bit tongue in cheek as our mate Darren actually refuses to charge for the odd / emergency jobs we occasionally have.

That's said, there are stories of £200 call out fees plus xyz hourly rates.
And not just from the Daily Mail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom