Declaring AMG bumper with insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Just called up my brokers to tell them about my new AMG bumper.

He took all the details & told me that he would contact my insurances and find out what they say.

He has just left a message on my machine telling me that there will be no additional cost to my insurance as its an OEM part, but if I crash they will only replace the standard bumper not the AMG one.

Ive just called them up & I spoke to another guy (as the orignal guy has gone home) who reckons theres no chance they would ever insure the new bumper even if I paid extra, but did say that a 3rd party would replace it with another AMG if a crash did happen.

Is that true that you cant insure the AMG bumper on top??? surely thats rubbish?

Hope that makes sense.

You can insure anything, at a price. However, insurance companies are free to make their own rules as to was is and isn't acceptable to them, and can decline to underwrite any risk if they so choose.

If your insurance co are happy for you to fit the new bumper and not charge you an extra premium, then I'd say that's fair and reasonable. If (and only if) you have to make a claim, then you'll still get a new (standard) bumper, just not a modifed one.

If I was you I'd adopt the standpoint I take when choosing insurance - i.e., I'm not planning to drive into anything and if I do I'll have to take a hit on the cost if it's my fault.

Cheers,

Gaz

Seems fair to me.... the essence of insurance is that " you pay a premium commensurate to the risk you bring to a common pool" So the risk you are bring to the pool is now greater if you wanted the AMG bumper covered....I am sure that other insurers will allow you to pay a higher premium to cover this risk in a pool common to that risk...i.e. modified cars.

What's frustrating is that the car could have come from the factory with the bumpers already on it as they are an option.

Perhaps the route to take with retrofitting oem parts is to declare them as a factory option rather than a modification? No-one bothers to declare factory options do they?

What's frustrating is that the car could have come from the factory with the bumpers already on it as they are an option.

Perhaps the route to take with retrofitting oem parts is to declare them as a factory option rather than a modification? No-one bothers to declare factory options do they?

No, but arguably they should with some insurers. The Admiral group insurers have the various MINI upgrade packs listed in the modifications section.

Saying something was factory fitted that wasn't is easily to disprove by the insurance company and not a risk worth taking IMO.

It must be just as simple to pay the difference if the bumper became damaged, and needed replacing, many bumpers are sent away for repair, so that would not make any difference.

Thanks for the replies guys, Im very paranoid after denting my facelift bumper and then of course writing the car off.

TBH, If I could pay the difference to 'upgrade' to an AMG bumper should I crash in the future id be happy.

yes , some insurers ask for a complete list of optional extras , was on the phone for agees!

I am with MB insurance as they mirrored my no claims discount, with a super price of £400. My SL has every option made fitted at the factory. As the insurers have the VIN all of this can be checked out, so I do not think that I need to worry over this.

I hope everyone using optimax has declared the potential performance increase. Once the boys at the lab have detected Tesco's screenwash and an undeclared, non-factory magic tree hanging from the RVM your claim will go in the dustbin I'm sure!

I hope everyone using optimax has declared the potential performance increase. Once the boys at the lab have detected Tesco's screenwash and an undeclared, non-factory magic tree hanging from the RVM your claim will go in the dustbin I'm sure!

Don't forget that all the sweet papers and crisp packets in the drivers door bin unbalanced the car so makes you liable for your own damage....

I've always declared all the options on my cars. I believe its vital to justify the value you attribute to the car, and it pays dividends if you need to claim.

They are all factory fit options mind - not aftermarket...

Not a good idea, my AMG kit isn't factory fitted (is covered by insurance as they say it's OEM). However when the rear bumper was damaged by a hit & run driver in a carpark about 18 months ago the repairers used the VIN to order the bumper (despite being told it was an AMG bumper when it went in). Once the bumper came in it was a standard Elegance one :mad: They sorted it out but when retrofitting parts you need to be careful.

My CLK came from the factory with the optional AMG 17" wheels. I haven't mentioned this to my insurance company. Should I? Got me wondering now. (I'm with Admiral) :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom