Design features you're not so fond of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
I think you would agree that we are all eager to sing the praises of our cars :D Heh well at least I am. However, are there any features/design flaws/quirks that you aren't so fond of with your 'cherished'? Curious minds would like to know :p

To get the ball rolling here are a couple that apply to my face-lift W202. As much as I really enjoy driving my car two things which could have been improved on are:
  • The tiny size of the glove box, you'd be hard pushed to get a pair of gloves in there :p let alone anything else. Also whoever designed the "credit-card holder caddy" and cradle for the W202 glove box deserves shooting :D
  • Ever had wet feet when opening the boot in the rain or if there is a significant amount of standing water on the boot lid? Heh you can follow the water as it slides off the bootlid onto the rear window and then is dutifully channeled down the water take-offs and onto the ground under each rear light cluster, usually where my feet happen to be :p

So what about you? There must be something :D

S.

without wishing to offend our american members,

but... whoever decicded to let the ML be built in the USA must be collecting unemployment benefit by now! or he would if he worked for me!

On the whole it's a great vehicle but the quality of the trim & plastics is nothing like as good as the German built mercs. in my opinion of course.

For me the centre armrest catches fell off and I cant for the life of me get them back together again. The gearlever surround - that rectancgle of black plastic keeps coming away. The trim creaks & rattles and the car has only done 15k miles.

Having had the car to bits a few times , compared with my E class, it just doesnt go back together the same.

A bit Flimsy would be a good description of the plastics I reckon.

:(

Well, the pluses far outweight some little niggles but....

• seats - comfort
    My seats have poor support. Main areas that are lacking are lower back support and side support. You slide about when whizzing round bends. Every other Merc I've been in has had much better seats.
  • seats - height adjustment
    The seat height adjuster design is just plain crap. You have to push down at precisely the correct angle to get the bloody things to go down. Facelift brought in electric seats. BMW's (sorry) have brilliant manual height adjustment.
  • vanity mirrors
    Shude will testify that the vanity mirrors are laughable. Not up to the usual Merc vanity mirror standard. A tacky slidy bit of plastic between the glass and the visor window to cover up the mirror. Not illuminated either.
  • line of sight for key fob
    With the roof up you need to be within 1um of the car to lock/unlock it.
  • no key fob windows-up function
    when you hold the key fob button down, the windows don't go up.
  • no reduced speed of wipers when stopping
    In my dad's previous E-classes when you came to a stop the wipers would knock down to the next setting until you set off again. Seems this function has existed for ages so why get rid of it. (SLK doesn't have auto-wipers).
  • Wind deflector
    If you're built like a rake, like me, the wind deflector is impossible to attach. The top of it then blocks the view in the RVM as well.

Well compared to design flaws on other cars that I've had . . . there are relatively few ! However . . .

* Drivers side headlight assembly is almost impossible to get to for bulb changing purposes, (behind the air filter box) unless you have the hands of a 4 year old !

* Dome Light / switch overhead console is very creaky indeed (plastic creaky)and rattles. Need to take that apart and deal with it !

* Sun Visors vibrate against roof lining when closed . . . very annoying

* Light assembly in Glovebox is loose, meaning that when you close the box it doesn't activate the switch to turn off the light inside it . . . need to fix that one too !

Apart from that, its as solid as a rock. No water drainage problems like yours on the estate, Steve !

S.

Just a quick one: I *love* the remote boot release; really handy when you've got a couple of bags of shopping, but ... if anybody's near it'll chop their bloody heads off! It opens with such force ... I have to give advance warning to the kids if they're near the back of the car :rolleyes: .

Oh, one other; I hate having to slam the car door shut. Even my g/f's Astra Cab drops the window slightly to let the air out :mad: .

Oh, sod it, one more; I hate how everything is designed to be so damn expensive to replace :p .

Cheers!

Andrew

As we are all "Nit Picking"
I would like to add the Vanity Mirror on the W203 has the light in front of it, thus blinding the user.

The glove box on the 203 is greatly improved as is the centre armrest storage thingie.

I am not over keen on the key/fob for the 203 (looks/feels flimsy) i would rather have the old 202 design, I think a couple of drops and missed throws will have it in bits.

I must add I am absolutely delighted with the 203 as I was with the 202....but everything can be improved as Mrs Joe reminds Me.

Joe
I agree with Andrew about the Boot opening, it should sound a warning alarm (I bet it could catapault a small child across Asda'a Car Park........there's a challenge!..... start @ 10 yards?)

Last edited:
Just the loud THUNK when you release the parking brake with the release lever-ive got into the habit of damping the pedal with my right foot to save :eek: glances from people as i pull away.

Originally posted by joe

I agree with Andrew about the Boot opening, it should sound a warning alarm (I bet it could catapault a small child across Asda'a Car Park........there's a challenge!..... start @ 10 yards?)

Have you tried to adjust the spring tension. Mine was the otherway around, when you popped the boot it didnt always lift up.

So if you look behind the trim on either side of the boot lining you will see the springs and the holes there attached to, which will be one of three holes.

The rest is obvious. Good luck.

During rain I always think that the windscreen wiper is running too slow. I have had a Merc for over two years now and still cant get used to it.

Originally posted by esox
Just the loud THUNK when you release the parking brake with the release lever-ive got into the habit of damping the pedal with my right foot to save :eek: glances from people as i pull away.

That's what I do too, if you hold the pedal with your foot when releasing the dash handle you can avoid the 'THUNK' totally.

You can also avoid the 'ratchet' clicking when setting the parking brake by holding the dash handle out as you push down on the foot pedal to set the parking brake.

S.

W202:

The Clock What possible use is the clock when its hiddern on the window side of the dashboard to passengers???

The Front Windows, if its been raining, you start the car and open the window, turn a corner and about 3 litres comes flowing in, onto your lap!!!

And the ultimate:

The rear passenger electric window buttons. go round and corner and your knees press agaist them, causing them to open...

Apart from that, I love my car!

Nothing :)

I can't complain about anything. :)

The seats on the 203 are simply a dream to sit in :)

Originally posted by Ian B Walker
During rain I always think that the windscreen wiper is running too slow. I have had a Merc for over two years now and still cant get used to it.

My auto wipers drive me mad, like this morning the car was damp but it was a clear sunny morning, went to drive away and the wipers started (good to clear the screen) but kept going and wouldn't stop even though it was sunny!

My seat belt buckle squeaks against the leather on the seats, that is the only squeak/rattle in the car so does annoy me (and it is quite loud and constant before you flame me).

No complaints about mine.

My last E Class had the loud thump when you released the hand brake, this one is very quiet.:bannana: :bannana:

I love all the improvements, interior lights, outside surround lighting, Bi-Xenons natty CD changer etc etc etc.:D :D :D

Would like a switch on the headlamps for mainland European driving (as per BMW xenons), otherwise no complaints at all - simply stunning!

After it's been raining, open either side front door and big drop of water lands right where your outside leg will be on the seat.

I think that's about it :)

A lot of the points mentioned have been addressed in the newer cars?
- small glove box probably stands ;)

My niggles on my own car is low geared steering, no lumbar support,

... the memory memorises the position of the seat, wing mirrors, and steering wheel position and moves all back into position except the rear view mirror... (and personal audio controls) but that's being an ultra nit picky, it would cost too much anyway :)

You need an S class.
My S500 also moves the rear view mirror on the memories.....

Tho there is only one niggle I can think of...
you have to turn that big round thing to go round corners etc...;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom