Dextron 2 and 3 differences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyc280

Car
1997 C280 V6 Elegance Auto Facelift. 1992 Kawasaki ZZR1100 C3
As above. What is the difference between the two ???

I think it is "Dexron" and not "Dextron"......

Found this on the 'net

Type A and Type A, Suffix A—very old transmission fluids superseded by Dexron and Mercon. Equivalent to Mercedes-Benz Sheet 232.2.

Dexron, Dexron II, IID, and Dexron IIE—these are the original GM Dexron ATFs and are no longer licensed by the company, having been superseded by Dexron III, which has now itself been superseded by Dexron VI. The difference between Dexron, II, and IIE was mostly in the oxidation inhibitors.

Dexron III and IIIH—OE ATF at GM for many years and widely adopted by other manufacturers. General Motors nowconsiders all of them to be obsolete and discontinued licensing Dexron IIIH in 2006. Dexron IV was an upgraded version of Dexron III, which was used by GM only briefly.

Dexron III/Saturn—a version of Dexron III developed for certain Saturn models.

Dexron VI—the newest GM ATF, it was developed specifically for the new six-speed automatic and is a synthetic blend (meaning it has some conventional base stocks). That transmission has tighter internal tolerances and required a fluid that had higher shear strength that Dexron III.

It was introduced with the 2006 models. GM considers Dexron VI to be "backward compatible," meaning GM recommends it for use in any vehicle that originally used any earlier version of Dexron and that it can be mixed with them. However, GM specifically recommends against using Dexron VI in non-GM made vehicles that used Dexron III as original equipment. It is also the specified ATF in certain non-GM models that use GM transmissions, such as BMW. It is not, however, specified for GM brand vehicles that have non-GM transmissions, as mentioned above, or are imported to the United States.

Last edited:
Dexron 3 is an improved version of Dexron 2. = greater resistance to degradation, oxidation, and thermal stability. In addition in my experience it performs slightly better on cold start up. Its completely backwards compatible/ mixable with the earlier Dexron 2 There should not be much difference in price so go for the better stuff.

3 is better than 2.

3 has different properties than 2

my car was done months ago with Dexron 2 and a great improvement.

Last edited:
I have an early 80s classic which originally came with Dexron 2D.

Having read up on Dexron I had planned to renew with Dexron 3, partly because I thought there wasn't much chance of getting 2D (I had seen plenty of 2 around whilst window shopping but no 2D).

Anyway when in ECP I noticed they had 2D so I figured I may as well have the original spec stuff. 30 years of slushing away successfully (according to records car had 2 partial ATF changes in its history), if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Planned to do a full flush but encountered seized bolts on cooler lines so only did a partial change. Improvement noted..

Meant to say- for some reason 2E doesn't seem to be as readily available as 2 or 2D. Anyone know why this is the case?

Sorry for thread derail!

Tony C 200 said:
my car was done months ago with Dexron 2 and a great improvement.

Not a good idea. Had one in recently with Dex II in it. Lasted 5k and blew up. Oil was burnt.

Planned to do a full flush but encountered seized bolts on cooler lines so only did a partial change. Improvement noted..

If, say, you put in half the total capacity of the box on refilling, you have 50% of the old fluid still in there. Do it again and have only 25%. Do it a third time, and it would be only 12.5%. Do your own mathematics and work out where you are now, and decide if you want to go any further.

That's how I did it on my Saab 9000 (torque converter oil cannot be drained/changed, unless using a "powerflush" technique), and it improved the change no end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom