Diesel Noise Acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scot22

Car
mercedes a class 2012
I am interested in a 2011 W169 2000 litre manual diesel.

Two queries - I appreciate diesels are noisier than petrol but is it really noticeable ? Would like a reasonably quiet car.

Is the acceleration better in diesel than a petrol ?

Thanks

I think that although diesel has more usable torque, so in theory gets off the line and moving quicker, the usable power band of a petrol engine is much bigger. - As a result the petrol car accelerates quicker because you can stay in each gear longer.

It's never quite as cut and dry as that though.

Is the acceleration better in diesel than a petrol ?

Thanks

With a 2000 litre diesel I would have thought so :D

In my 350CDI, you can't really hear the diesel most of the time. The Merc 4 pot diesel has a reputation for sounding like a badly tuned tractor :D

Based on the published bhp & torque figures an A200 CDI will be quicker than an A200, but slower than an A200 Turbo.

I've not personally driven an A Class but diesel engine noise is generally more noticeable in smaller cars than larger ones. I had a shiny new VW Polo diesel as a courtesy car a few years ago and it was worse than any tractor I've ever heard :D

With modern cars when cruising a diesel isn't that much noisier than a 4 cylinder petrol car. Many cars with low profile tyres generate a surprising amount of tyre noise when running at speed which masks or reduces the impact of engine noise.

Where you tend to notice the diesel is a diesel is when accelerating - and in urban situations where the tyre noise is likely to be lower and the engine speed may be coarser.

With most modern cars, you won't be able to tell whether it is petrol or diesel from sitting inside of the car with the windows shut, but the diesel will usually be louder than petrol outside.

The acceleration will most probably feel quicker in the diesel, due to the amount of torque in the lower rpm range.

You won't notice the diesel once up to speed or even during acceleration but at idle the noise and vibration may irritate you compared to a petrol which should be virtually silent.

I am amazed by, and grateful for, the number and value of these prompt replies. My mileage is around 10,000 a year ( steady driving, rarely motorway ) so I think additional costs of diesel are, on balance, probably not worth it for me.
Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom