• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Divine Detail on my GL63 - Excellent Service

Will

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GL63 AMG / SL500 / Porsche 911
Just thought I’d provide some feedback and a further recommendation for Ed at Divine Detail (based in Surrey) who has done a wonderful job on my GL63 recently.

This is his website:
http://www.divinedetail.co.uk

I bought my GL last summer, and the condition of the car was very good - low mileage, one owner, garaged when not in use etc. I’ve been washing it carefully and kept on top of the interior but during the lockdown I started to consider the next step for enhancing the finish of the exterior and protection of the paintwork for the future.

I have always enjoyed looking after my cars, and have done plenty of detailing in my time. A few weeks back I gave it a thorough wash and started to decontaminate the paintwork. I have used various waxes over the years, and whilst they have worked well for my garaged/weekend cars on a daily driver/family car the size of the GL I wanted something that would be more durable, protect the paintwork and make the car easier to keep clean so started looking into some of the ceramic coatings on offer - especially considering how long the preparation work would take on a vehicle of this size. After giving it some thought, I decided I just don’t have the time/space currently for this so started to look into options to get the paintwork A1 and a coating applied professionally.

I have read recommendations myself for Ed on the forum here and have been recommended him in person, so despite having always enjoyed detailing my own cars, a few weeks ago I decided to give him a call and discuss my car and requirements.

Straight away, from speaking on the phone, I liked the guy. He knows his stuff, was very realistic with tailoring a package to my needs, agreed on a very fair price for the job and gave me an indication as to when he could book me in for.

After a couple of emails a date for the work was set, and a few weeks later I took the car over to Ed. A very down to earth guy, quiet and well mannered, perhaps different in a way to the trend of many detailers online. Other than a few photos on his website or his own businesses social media, I haven’t seen pages and pages of threads/posts by him on the detailing forums etc - the only threads I have seen have been recommendations from other customers and now I know why!

What I liked about Ed and his service:

He sent daily updates, at around the same time each evening with photos showing progress of the work and what was being done. It’s nice to know your vehicle is safe and being looked after, but also nice to have an indication as to progress when it’s away from home, and everyone likes photos!

The level of detail and care - absolutely incredible. I think I have seen mentioned by somebody before, but he clearly really enjoys working on cars, and looks after them with the same level of OCD that only a real enthusiast would. In other words, he seems to work on them as if they were his own pride and joy, and not just another job. I only booked in for an exterior enhancement detail and a ceramic coating, but for a modest extra charge he offered to do the wheels inside and out, and fully clean under the arches and coat the calipers etc. As it turns out, he went the extra mile, spent a whole day on the wheels/arches/calipers and suspension components, also cleaning and protecting the plastics and rubbers under the bonnet and exhaust tips etc, did a two stage polish on the paint, treated all the rubber seals, side steps and more. Silly things like he polished and coated the number plates and surrounds, spent extra time machine polishing the insides of the wheels to improve the surface before coating, removed the exhaust tips and coated those off the car too. This was no rushed job, he wanted to get it right.

For what was pretty much a relatively ‘entry level’ service compared to some, he spent five days on the car, and I felt he had underpriced the job. I offered to pay more but he insisted I didn’t have to, but I did anyway once I’d left. I know how long this sort of work takes, and felt that he had really earned it, and had exceeded my expectations for the price agreed.

The paint is very glossy and swirl free throughout, and has improved markedly in appearance - the metallic flakes are more obvious, it looks richer and there’s a stronger hint of blue in the colour now. The coating feels as slick as any wax I’ve used, has great depth of shine and has not attracted as much dust as previously applied waxes have. The wheels and calipers also look great, and I cannot fault any of his work - glass is spotless, plastics and rubber looks fresh, rich in colour and as new. I can’t really think of anything I would have had done differently etc. Upon handover he was happy to spend as much time as I wanted discussing maintenance and care, products, etc. Needless to say, he has a great selection of equipment, several different types of polishers, offers different coatings and products upon request etc.

I have a few pics Ed had kindly sent me of the work in progress and a few of afterwards. The other pics are my own and were taken after a couple of hours of driving on a day trip out, so excuse the dust and dead flies etc!

Ed has applied Kamikaze Collection ‘Zipang Coat’ to the bodywork and trim, Kamikaze ‘Intenso’ to the glass, Kamikaze ‘Stance Rim Coat’ to the wheels and brake calipers, and has used ACF-50 (an anti-corrosion product) on various suspension parts too. I’ve not got a lot to compare these coatings too, but initial appearance seems very good, and from a little research the Zipang coat seems to get good reviews, supposedly semi self-healing and a lifespan of 2-3 years.

Anyway, a few pictures:

As I say, I’m absolutely delighted with his work, the car looks great - and had I known how good his work is and that he is relatively local I would have used him years ago! Thoroughly recommended from me :thumb:

Looks spot on that Will, number plate really adds that finishing touch to the beast :cool:

Stunning.

Will I couldn't agree more.

Ed did my CL in October 2016 and it is still looks fantastic and still so easy to keep clean.

I have recommended Ed to many people on here and privately and they all say the same thing Great Guy Great job :)

Ed has already emailed me back to acknowledge my email. We'll see how it unfolds. He advised that ceramic is applied one month after painting to let the paint settle.

Be great to see/hear how you get on if you book in Michael :)

Mine hasn’t been washed since I collected it and after a couple of long journeys it was a bit dusty - but a lot has rinsed itself off in the rain we have had.

Will be nice to see/feel the paint coating during the wash - feels super slick to the touch :cool:

Hi Will, I've been exchanging emails and I like the cut of his jib. It seems as though Miyabi+Zipang is a durable combo, but you only went for the Zipang, from what I can read above. What is your take on this?

Hi Michael,

Best to discuss the coating options with Ed - I’ve only limited experience, as this is the first ceramic coating I’ve tried.

Ed reckons this should be good for up to 3 years, I’d be happy if it lasted 1-2 years in all honesty, and would aim to repeat the decontamination, enhancement and re-coat at that point. I trust Ed’s judgement, as he works with these coatings day in, day out. You can go Zipang-Myobi-Zipang if you want, I think the Enrei coat is better still, but obviously more money etc. More details on his website or there’s a few reviews on google/YouTube on the Zipang coat (and others of course)

Good luck with whatever you decide, I’ll let you know how the coating is performing in time but suspect it will last well with a careful wash routine etc. It feels great to the touch, seems pretty hydrophobic in this wet weather today and looks good to me.

You may have already seen this, but a bit of detail on the Zipang coat (and laying possibilities) here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ed is amazing and so is his work. He made my CLS55 new again about 5 years ago and you know what - it still looks new! Only people who keep their cars long enough realise how long these treatments actually last lol. Ed is the best and I wouldn’t go anywhere else :)

Attachments

• A2BBB465-10AA-49A9-96CA-E6955E51BF68.jpeg
    A2BBB465-10AA-49A9-96CA-E6955E51BF68.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Thanks guys, I've booked it in for a month's time for when the paint has cured.

TheAnimal - what products were applied to yours and did you ever get a top up from him?

Will, what colour is your GL? It's quite unusual and looks great - particularly the shot from the n/s/r quarter on his drive.

Hi Michael,

Good luck with the paintwork and coating etc, seems like a good idea if you’ve invested in the respray etc on your own car.

My GL is ‘Tenorite Grey’, to be honest it almost never really looks like that in the photo you mention, it’s quite a dark graphite sort of colour most of the time, but with the additional clarity since it’s been polished and coated I would say the metallic shows through more and the blue is a little more pronounced in certain light - I guess perhaps partially masked before if the clearcoat was a little hazy before it was corrected etc. To me it looks like the last three pics I posted most of the time, dark metallic grey with a deep glossy finish and metallic/bluish tones where it catches the light.

Is your S211 Obsidian Black? Same as one of my old E55K Wagons if so, they polish up a treat too - I think most darker colours are quite rewarding in that sense :cool:

C3E03173-7DC8-47AA-88DD-9A63AB2B745D.jpeg

I see - it just needs a lot of light in the correct conditions to bring out the blue.

Yes, mine is Obsidian - I have a thread on the current work being done here. In fact, I saw a silver shimmer in the bonnet grooves post-painting, that I have never before noticed.

BTW, I watched that video and more - I'm talking myself into the ENREI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom