• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

DIY query

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
In my case it stands for destroy it yourself so I'm seeking advice.

In the spare bedroom, there is, amongst other things (bed, carpet etc :D) a uPVC window unit sitting atop a wooden window sill. There is a slight gap running along the sill where it meets the bottom of the window unit and the draught can be pretty grim.

What's the best type of filler to use to eliminate the draught? Will an all-purpose type of filler suffice? Or do I need something a little more specific?

TIA, David

How big is the gap ?

If it's just a couple of mm , and it's where the UPVC meets the window sill ( wooden or otherwise ) just run a bead of white silicone along there ....

Any of the common fillers like a frame filler circa £2.

Never do the inside and the outside, fill the inside and that will stop the draught from the cavity.

If the outside is sealed as well, then if moisture gets in it cant dry out, and that is
a big mistake made in the UK by many window firms

go for caulk its more flexible than filler

Do you mean the outside window sill or the inside window ledge?
It's unusual to have a UPVC window frame sitting on a wooden window sill.

If it's the outside you need to ensure that the gap isn't the window drain. Some use face drains and some use bottom drains. Face drains are clearly visible on the outer face of the bottom rail of the window.

As has been said, seal it from the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom