• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do my headlights need polishing?

drmacf

Car
kompressor C class
Hi Everyone

Hope all are well. This forum has always helped me with valuable advise, specially in an emergency. A big thank you

As I do a lot of driving, try to make sure that the headlights are as bright as possible. Within legal limits and to avoid any hindrances, to others

Just looked up Amazon and came across a product, to polish headlights. Seem like it had 1000+ reviews. Tempted to have a go but do you think my headlights really require polishing?
Or may be just buffing and a spray?
Please find pics enclosed within
What are the hazy strips on top of the headlight?

KR

Mel

Attachments

• E00633A1-0AE4-4969-BB3C-18F0A6D56F05.jpeg
    E00633A1-0AE4-4969-BB3C-18F0A6D56F05.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 108F5BB9-551A-4647-AA02-562E91AB0DE3.jpeg
    108F5BB9-551A-4647-AA02-562E91AB0DE3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
The top sections you have indicated would benefit from a good polish.
There are plenty of kits on the market (the 3M one is my preferred choice) but using very fine grit sandpaper with water to lubricate can give good results if you spend time on the job. As always, sealing the lens afterwards is important or the UV will only cloud the lens again. Most kits have a lens sealant.

Unless the way they look really bug you or you are getting 'advisories' from your MOT test you might want to leave them for a while . There is only so much abrasive polishing they will take .

But if done properly they should stay 'bright' for some time.

Try chrome polish, it works and is cheap.
I have some Autosol at home and the headlights on the CLK are starting to go cloudy. How would you use this to bring them back to clear again?

Use masking tape on body. I used a small Makita 10.8 volt drill with polishing head.
Start with very slow rotation speeds
Have look on youtube,

Use masking tape on body. I used a small Makita 10.8 volt drill with polishing head.
Start with very slow rotation speeds
Have look on youtube,
Also, whatever power tool being used, make sure you keep it moving the whole time. Letting it dwell in one position will damage the headlight lens.

I always do it buy hand....far less risk to light or surrounding paint if you slip.

1000 wet and drive to get the yellowing off and get an even cloudiness over the whole surface. 3000 to get a smooth surface. Farecla G3 to get it clear, metal polish or "T cut for metallics" for the final shine, UV proof clear coat top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom