• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Do we still have engine snobbery?

I couldn't care less if it was a 4 cylinder and cost you 500 quid and covered is rust, if it's your pride and joy it'd be pretty bad from to rain on your chips.

However, you did ask ☺️, so for me personally I think a small 4 pot diesel is fine if the objective is saving money on a tight budget and the 250 is vv good. However, for people who appreciate the engineering as well as the comfort and aesthetics I believe 5 cylinders is the minimum acceptable cylinder count, and a straight 6 being the perfect configuration for a luxury executive car* A 4 cylinder diesel has all the charisma of John Major, it is simply a power train doing it's job, whereas, for some mysterious reason, 5 or 6 cylinders and above acquire an engineering soul.

*Not that this is common anymore as packaging makes the inferior v6 attractive. And V12 being overkill and only required for supercars imho... XK straight 6 is engineering heaven in an xj6

Try one. You’ll be surprised. By comparison, and I accept that the E250 CDI is pretty good in terms of refinement, the 350 is in a different league in the same chassis.

I did test drive one and honestly apart from a little bit more power when driving the E350 hard, there is a small difference but day to day driving I just couldnt see the difference. I had a budget and either the E250 or E350 was my choice as both are commuting workhorses. Noise wise again couldnt see any difference, both super quiet and both comfortable machines. I guess inline 4 cylinder diesels have come along way which questions the need for the E350 which will be thirstier, more expensive to insure and more expensive to put right when it goes wrong.

Also doing my research the E250 CDi appeared to be the best all rounder. I totally agree on 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder petrols however. I had a few BMW 330's and this compared to the 4 cylinder 320i is like night and day. But diesels, im yet to be convinced the V6 diesel is better...

My daughter's 1.2 Corsa does everything I personally, actually need in of a vehicle. I even like the colour.

I prefer a V6.

I like the sound, the additional power, the feel as it accelerates more effortless (and when with some effort :devil:) and I don't really have to give a stuff about MPG within reason, after many years of having to.

They don't do a Corsa V6......

I have had several 4 pot diesels inc a Mercedes Euro4 220cdi and whilst it went well (enough) I test drove an E350cdi in an E class coupe before opting for the E400 I have now and was blown away.

I did not know diesels could do that.

The E25O cdi is the ultimate sensible car. Even today (unless you want a Corsa)

I'm past being sensible, but remember and recognise those 20 or so years of my life and most other people's, when that is the right and best decision.

I'm in the camp though that that 350cdi was better and would be better - to hell with the mpg.
It did not sound nor vibrate like a diesel

I did test drive one and honestly apart from a little bit more power when driving the E350 hard, there is a small difference but day to day driving I just couldnt see the difference. I had a budget and either the E250 or E350 was my choice as both are commuting workhorses.
Fair enough. I do agree that the E250CDI is a great car and if it ticks all your boxes you made the right choice.

My daughter's 1.2 Corsa does everything I personally, actually need in of a vehicle. I even like the colour.

I prefer a V6.

I like the sound, the additional power, the feel as it accelerates more effortless (and when with some effort :devil:) and I don't really have to give a stuff about MPG within reason, after many years of having to.

Which is a shame!

Step one, buy a Corsa,
Step two, buy a rover 825/7,
Step three, take Corsa engine out and put rover engine in, (although it's an honda engine)
Voilla! Corsa V6!!
You're welcome 😎

One of my own personal engine configurations for smoothness is the straight 6. I have owned more of this power plant than any other because i really like them! ( Triumphs, Datsun, Chevrolet, Jaguar, Vauxhall etc ) However for an all rounder and for pure testosterone gloating and the soundscape ..... Has to be a V8.
I currently have twin pots & 4 pots ( Motorcycles ) and 4 pots and V8 ( Vehicles ) and run EV vans for the pat 9 years ..... all of them do what i want them to do - Still miss the straight 6 though ...

I prefer a V6.

Which is a shame!
Ahem......
14757508200_a8ce372002_b.jpg

I have to say that on this forum and other forums there really does appear to be a bit of a snobbery around the ‘lesser’, ‘smaller’ 4 pot engines.

Having had a C63, C55, E350 CDi, M3’s, M5’s
And various other high performance cars, I am as happy as Larry with my ‘inferior’ E250 CDi AMG Sport Saloon.

Having picked the car up a few weeks ago, it’s covered just 61k miles, FSH and only 1 former keeper. It drives absolutely beautiful, like a new car and is without doubt the comfiest car
I have ever had. I was filling it up the other week on the forecourt and a guy came over and said ‘you should have bought the E350 instead’. I asked why when my E250 was better on fuel, in the real world just as quick and with the brilliant sound proofing in the E Class, just as quiet.

I had an E350 CDi coupe a few years ago and honestly can’t tell the difference between either in terms of performance or refinement.

I guess most people couldn’t care less what other think but the older I’m getting the more I’m noticing this badge snobbery which I think is totally unnecessary.
You guys want smoothness, quietness and refinement - how about trying an EV? ;)

Seriously though, no one needs to justify their choice of vehicle to random members of the public.

I’d say it was unusual to be approached in this way unless you were driving something particularly notable (unusual/old/rare etc) which a modern diesel E-class isn’t so I doubt it would be a regular occurrence :)

OP - what did the guy say when you asked him why?

And what was he driving?

You could always debadge it if it makes you more comfortable :thumb:

Reactions: JHS
img_8560-png.151909

Attachments

• IMG_8560.png
    IMG_8560.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_8559.png
    IMG_8559.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8558.png
    IMG_8558.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I really don’t like oneupmanship, it’s not a nice quality at all - and I’d never ever do it - and that’s why I don’t think that I’ve ever mentioned what I drive on this forum.

If someone asks me, then I don’t like to ignore them, so I say “a silver one”. If they ask which model; then I play it down as I wouldn’t want them to think I am showing off.

I just say something like I drive a Mercedes-AMG ForFour AMG Sport Plus Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Navi facelift powered by Brabus.

I like to fly under the radar.
With you on this!

When I was looking to buy a brand new car just over 11 years ago, I had a facelift W204 C350CDi for 24 hours to give it a thorough test drive. Coming from a 4-pot W208 CLK230K, I was very impressed. It felt smooth and powerful, totally changing my perception of diesels. It was so good, I even thought about buying one.

When I took the CDi back the next morning I swapped it for the petrol version with its 500cc larger engine. It was even better. Even smoother and a lovely wide power band. The child in me couldn’t help smiling like a Cheshire Cat when I pressed my foot down on the throttle enough to make the exhaust sing.

When I took it back to Mercedes I put in my order for one. I still have it and have yet to find something to replace it. I’ve driven several newer Mercedes as courtesy cars when mine has been in for service - nothing has come close.

My Porsche 944 S2 had a very impressive 4-pot 3 litre engine, one of the best 4s I’ve driven, but there’s something about a 6 that’s unbeatable for me. The straight 6 in my XK120 back in the day was special, but still not up to the V6 I get to enjoy now. I‘ve driven many real AMGs, but even they haven’t had the right balance for me. And that’s what’s most important: what the owner likes the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom