Driver too tight to pay Airport parking stops on motorway..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its obvious now why the chap parked where he did. On the security side of things the police were not aware why a car was parked there prior to speaking to the driver. The occupants could have had nefarious reasons for being there. Luckily they had not.
As for the charges levied for dropping off and pick up......

Last edited:
Simple solution: Don't fly.
Ah, but when buying the ticket for the flight,
and factored in the compulsory alcohol (for the absolutely essential free wi fi you understand), ticket to win the DB7, bought your Toblerone got the neccessary crossword for the flight, you might think all costs have been covered.
Having to compensate the poor sucker who drops you off and picks you up is just tooo much.

But I blame the eu, for everything.

Ah, but when buying the ticket for the flight,
and factored in the compulsory alcohol (for the absolutely essential free wi fi you understand), ticket to win the DB7, bought your Toblerone got the neccessary crossword for the flight, you might think all costs have been covered.
Having to compensate the poor sucker who drops you off and picks you up is just tooo much.

But I blame the eu, for everything.

You forgot to mention the endless on-board sale of scratch cards where no one ever wins (apart from the airline company).

Reactions: m80
I think these charges are a direct result of the selfishness that has become the 'norm in the UK, and not just at drop off points at airports.

There will always be a piss taker who thinks the '10 minute only' sign does not apply to them, disabled bays, double yellow lines, hatched painted areas on the road surface....the list is endless.

And normal thinking people always have to pick up the cost or inconvenience due to the arrogant and selfish actions of what used to be the few but now are the many who think the world owes them something,and they are somehow privileged.

Some of us are old enough to remember when supermarkets and retail parks did not need barriers and maximum 'stay time' signs, because back then (not that long ago) you wouldn't dream of dumping your vehicle and buggering off all day or night.

Sign of the times...expect more of the same in future.

Thats all well and good but maybe they should do something about these people who park in disabled bays, double yellow lines, hatched areas of the road etc and it'd stop them doing it?

I know that half the people using the parent and children bays don't have a child with them and some using the disabled bays are using their relatives blue badge! If nothing is ever enforced, nothing will ever change.

Airport parking is very expensive, at Luton airport (must be the most expensive for parking), in the pickup/dropoff area its £4 for 13 minutes and then £1 per minute there after or you can park in the short stay carpark next door for £8 for 30 minutes!

Barbados my ar$e.

Train to Bournemouth.

I don't understand your eloquence, are you saying i'm not going to Barbados or are you going with all the pensioners to enjoy the rain in Bournemouth??

Airport parking is very expensive, at Luton airport (must be the most expensive for parking), in the pickup/dropoff area its £4 for 13 minutes and then £1 per minute there after or you can park in the short stay carpark next door for £8 for 30 minutes!

It’s because Luton is the base for budget airlines so they charge the airline less and make up the money on things like parking.

But we have loads of budget airlines operating out of Manchester. Budget airlines pay the same landing/handling/fuel/bog emptying/de-icing fees as the other airlines. Luton is no exception I worked out of there for three years.

When picking up Maltese visitors from Edinburgh Airport two months ago it cost me £16

The terminal parking is £10 per hour. I arrived back at the ticket machine with 8 minutes to spare but had already triggered the extra £6
I raised this with Edinburgh Airport parking and they refunded the £6 because as I had stated there was a delay with the baggage carousel on that flight but insisted the time was correct.
I reported back to them my ticket clearly showed a time stamp and on collection I confirmed the return time with four cell phones which I believe are extremely accurate and still stated I was not out with the one hour time limit.

My point here is how many other motorists at Edinburgh Airport are being “stung” with the extra £6

Reactions: 219
BBC News - Motorway 'used as Manchester Airport pick-up point'
Motorway 'used as airport pick-up point'

Reported for improper use of the hard shoulder, illegally spaced number plates and car impounded because of no insurance!

Parking would have been £4 50....

Plus :

BBC News - Lamborghini seized as man claims other uninsured car
Supercar seized as man claims other uninsured car
In fairness , airport parking charges are scandalous .

I dropped my partner off at Edinburgh Airport a while back , time was you could drive round by the terminal , stop for a couple of minutes to pick up or set down , and be on your way without any hold ups . Now it is something like a fiver minimum.

Just so I drove into drop off zone , got her suitcase out of the boot , peck on cheek , stopped less than 60 seconds , and joined the queue to exit ... one exit barrier was out of order , and it seemed that no one had change ready , or perhaps , like me , just had the correct amount for minimum stay . I queued for ages , then was asked to pay something like £12 , which I might very well not have had on me , not expecting that delay .

I now note that there are many cars parked in the lay bys on the dual carriageway running past the airport, and just as many on the verges of the approach roads . Indeed , I parked in one of said lay bys and waited for the phone call to say she’d landed .

Since that time I now park at the Gyle shopping centre , which is free parking, and one tram stop from the airport, the fare being less than half the minimum airport parking charge .

Wouldn’t park on a motorway though .

I don't understand your eloquence, are you saying i'm not going to Barbados or are you going with all the pensioners to enjoy the rain in Bournemouth??

I'm saying that, collectively, we need to seriously re-evaluate our dependence on flying.

I have no doubt that you view a flight to Barbados as a must-have and important journey but in the wider scheme of things it's actually a very long and very unnecessary one.

Reactions: 219
I'm saying that, collectively, we need to seriously re-evaluate our dependence on flying.

I have no doubt that you view a flight to Barbados as a must-have and important journey but in the wider scheme of things it's actually a very long and very unnecessary one.
You have a point of course. WE all have lifestyles that create a greater then required carbon footprint.
The extreme is to return to horse and cart,
for example we don't need big big tellies that are transported by road - then massive raw crude burning (near enough) freight liner - then road again. To be extreme the warehouses are burning energy to store and supply us, and it goes on.

But to real life ,all of us are going to carry on being selfish with our desires. We are on a car forum btw.

It would be nice to reduce our plastic displosal initially, and for us to stop sending it to the lesser affluent countries would demonstrate a less corrupt attempt at showing our good green credentials.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom