E Class Estate Roll Call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
True. It's just that my brain keeps flashing this picture I saw here a while ago about crash zones. A non estate E class will "sacrifice" its boot to protect rear passengers so to speak. The estate cannot afford that at all. I'm sure MB thought of that.
No matter how safe I know it is, I don't think I can put children there.

the estate is much stronger than a saloon at the rear and as BenzCommander has already said there is a lot of metal between the rear of the car and the footwell.

I think the seats are as safe as any others in the car if they are used correctly

Andy

Cclass guy said:
True. It's just that my brain keeps flashing this picture I saw here a while ago about crash zones. A non estate E class will "sacrifice" its boot to protect rear passengers so to speak. The estate cannot afford that at all. I'm sure MB thought of that.
No matter how safe I know it is, I don't think I can put children there.

I respect what you are saying but your argument is slightly flawed when you use the example of a saloon car!

The US Mercedes-Benz is slightly different from the European model because of the fear by Mercedes-Benz of being sued over safety issues. SBC Hold is a prime example, however most US E-class estates have the seven seat option, so they must consider the rear seats as not being dangerous.

I have never owned a seven seat estate car and never will, so I cannot be considered bias one way, or the other.

I respect your apprehension, but there is no factual foundation for it, :) ;) Just like the Aresenal manager respecting Bergkamp's fear of flying. The player never flies. (in an aircraft Shude, in an aircraft) :rolleyes: ;)

Regards,
John

"Well I'm not afraid of flying, I'm afraid of being 15000ft above and suddenly *NOT flying" :D

-read it on a website.

Newbee mb owner

I have just bought a 1998 210 E300TD Elegence in aqua marine blue with grey cloth interior which has a very intersting zig-zag design. 156k miles with FMBSH, 3 owners the last one 6 years and a fantastic Blaupunkt Hamburg MP68 sound system and CDR in the boot.

I have just used the advised Xerapol to clean the headlight covers which has turned out fine.

I'm having the preglows changed as the light comes on again after starting for about 20 secs then goes out. Also the outside temp sensor has gone with -38 showing all the time.

Usual rust which I hope to stop by waxing inside the arches etc.

It drives really nice, although suprisingly hard on rough roads with a few bangs at the rear. It has 11 months MOT so I don't suspect shockers or springs, just the 210 estate firmness I have read about.

Lex.

Lextalionis - you do realise you've resurrected a thread that's 5 years old?

Welcome to the forum anyway!

Sounds like you have a good car, if you can deal with the rust. There shouldn't be any banging from the back end, so I'd suggest you get rear subframe mounts etc. thoroughly checked.

Thanx Gordon. I'm about 5 years behind the times so that's no surprise!

It's just that over bad roads that the ride is a bit hard, a bit of a hard bang, like the suspension tops out. Are the rear shocks self levelling hydraulic? About £230 each? It rides really smoothly except for as above. I will get sub frame mounts checked as you say.

The local MB Stealer had the other day to check thepreglow (one has gone) all are fused to the head so they said don't bother changing just one in case they snap and a 10 hour head job ensues (Ouch!).

Cheers - Lex.

I am on my 3rd E Class estate.

W124 320 petrol.

W210 320 petrol.

W211 320 CDi.

Lex - I don't think the rear 'shocks' are really shock absorbers on your car. If it has self-levelling suspension, then the 'shocks' are quite expensive. IIRC, they come out around £500 each, though cheaper from a good indy, such as Olly of PCS.

PS - it'd be helpful if you could add your approximate location to your profile. :)

Lex - I'd hazard a guess at the accumulators for the rear if the suspension is banging and crashing/bottoming out on a car with hydraulic SLS. There are no shocks on the rear of your car, what look like the shock absorbers are just hydraulic struts (rams basically) - the accumulators provide the damping effect.

Once corrected, it should ride like a magic carpet, especially with the Elegance suspension setup and standard wheels :)

Investigate your rear sub frame bushes first. At that age (mine will be replaced next week ) they are more than likely shot.

Thanks again folks, I have seen underneath now and understand better. No probs with SLS. The banging over bumps was FNS drop link (about a £10 part) that Independent Merc fit all in for £40. Front cross member corroded (what a surprise but not dangerously so) as is center of exhaust. Just one pre-glow gone which Main MB Dealer says don't bother replacing when they fitted a new outside temp sensor for free - Nice of them, although will not do anything about the rust - over 8 years after grace period apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom