• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

E, S or M

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
It was especially icy the other day. so went to select "C" on the S204 transmission (so it would pull away in 2nd) to discover it did not seem to have anything like that now - just E (Economy?) S(Sports?) and M - which appeared to just turn it into a manual gearbox. Have things changed or am I missing the point?

E is economy, and should pull away with gentle acceleration in 2nd in most scenarios. Gear changes are generally much more sluggish than S.

S is Standard, not sport.

M is indeed manual, but can also be used to set a maximum gear that is not easily exceeded. Or in other words, it will still change down not stall the engine. E.g. If you set it to 4 in M, it will go down through the gears to 1 or 2 as normal when slowing, but will not exceed 4 as you get to higher speeds.

Seem to remember the car would pull away in first if the engine was cold no matter which mode the transmission is in?

IIRC some generations of MB they didn’t do a 2nd gear start on 4cyl models, you needed a 6cyl for that party trick.

My 4cyl W213 would do a 2nd gear start but that had the 9g transmission.

My e320 had a w and s button .
IIRC some generations of MB they didn’t do a 2nd gear start on 4cyl models, you needed a 6cyl for that party trick.

My 4cyl W213 would do a 2nd gear start but that had the 9g transmission.
My 2004 e320 would do 2,Nd gear start in c mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom