e430 no crank and no start, stuck in park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E430Mad

Car
2001 e430
Car has been sat up a few months in a garage getting some body work and painting done.

Went to start it today, battery is full, and also tried booster pack, but nothing.

Key turns in ignition, you hear the click to unlock the steering. All lights come on in dash, brake light works,

When I turn ignition to position three there is no sound, no crank, And I cannot shift it out of park.

Checked all fuses on k40 which are grand. Lights horn etc work.

Was thinking starter stuck, anybody know how to access it to give it a whack, on the e430? Or where is the starter relay?

Since it was parked up I have done a bit of welding to it, but the battery was disconnected for this. So that shouldn't be a problem. Just weird that I cannot shift it out of park.

Anybody any recommendations?

Thanks

Needs a computer reset but i dont know how to go about it keep looking in on this .Also needs a full battery .Check voltage battery.gif

First thing to do is disconnect battery for 30 seconds and reconnect then if that doesn't work get the fault codes read to see whats going on, has someone connected the booster pack the wrong way round and damaged electrical systems?

First thing to do is disconnect battery for 30 seconds and reconnect then if that doesn't work get the fault codes read to see whats going on, has someone connected the booster pack the wrong way round and damaged electrical systems?
Tried disconnecting the battery and connecting the two wires together for 10 mins. Still nothing.

No, booster pack was connected correctly.

It has something to do with the starter or gear stuck in park. Just cant figure it out.

Hitting starter motors doesn't work nowadays. Normally its the contacts in the solenoid that get pitted ... that cause non start .

Hi DSM, being in park is a good thing ! that's where the inhibitor does NOT work. Has to be a diagnostic run, otherwise you could be guessing for years. Good luck.

Hi DSM, being in park is a good thing ! that's where the inhibitor does NOT work. Has to be a diagnostic run, otherwise you could be guessing for years. Good luck.
Doh!

Yes, I was being dim!

I suppose the inhibitor could still play up when in Park?

It's worth trying the manual release and seeing if it starts in Neutral?

Just remembered, when ignition is on the front a/c fans spin also.

Turned out i had burned through the wiring loom when welding the passenger side jacking point.

A full day of splicing, soldering and shrink wrapping wires got the problem sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom