E63 BT emissions MOT failure, any experience of this guys?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOR8A

Car
W212 E63 PPP AMG
Hi

The E63 has failed it's MOT today due to the emissions being too high, has anyone experienced this please?

A few details on your car?
- Service history
- standard or “tuned”

As above, has it been remapped or had any exhaust "work";)

First time I've heard of any 63 or 55 fail on emissions.

Worth an Italian tune up just before the emissions test?

I am thankfully fully qualified in the Italian tune up, I will then move to the Basil Fawlty school of car persuasion! I have to say I'm absolutely baffled by it and a bit scared too!

A failing lambda sensor or air leak somewhere could cause this. Diagnostics may give a clue. However start with a good run.

^ Got me thinking the E63 air intakes are known to split. Well worth a physical check of both intakes for any splits or leaks.
That could be one cause.

Any EML? Fault codes?

Well from the mileage your car has it is used lightly,so just maybe a bottle of redx in a quarter of a tank of fuel,might well clear it out,best to find a deserted industrial estate early morning,I posted about MOT's awhile ago,they have got tougher,and for me you need to have a appointment and get there after having a good run,and if MOT is delayed run the car ,keep it hot,because hot gases help to pass emisiions,for me gone are the days of leaving the car and coming back a couple of hours later to hear the good/bad news,theother advice about splits in pipework and sensors are all good,but failing that clear the car out fresh fuel and have that car hot for the test.

Well it depends on what it failed on, lambda as above most likely a leak in the exhaust, co as above most likely needs a bottle of cataclean in it and a thrash

Going back a few years but Lambda sensor may not show an EML. It didn’t in my CLK- swapped out the fault one and emissions became well in spec again, also benefitted from about 25% more MPG/ power. Hadn’t noticed the lost horses until they were back again.

Update: Italian tune up cured the issue.
Glad to hear it.

Trouble with it being an E63 is that there are probably 3 or 4 speeding tickets now in the post...

;)

That's the trouble with the E63 biturbo - you can't keep the pedal to the metal for more than 5 seconds anywhere in the UK without being illegal :(

It'a also the reason why I'll never forget my ones :D

What has worked for me in the past was a bottle of Cataclean + Italian tune-up for a longer-term result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom