Engine bay clean up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Elbow grease for me too, while rain/spray does get under the bonnet the sinking feeling I would get if the car through a code that was self inflicted is not worth the risk for me.
Conversely I previously had a Boxster S and loved the fact that when, I finally found the engine it was dusty dry and only finger prints on the air filter housing etc. it remained like that through my ownership and was sold with additional finger prints in all the right places :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hopefully that link works :oops:

It’s a guy on you tube that does a great job on engine bays, and shows what to protect etc.

... if only I had the guts :(

I must say I did give that video a watch and definitely some good tips on there. The results speak for themselves too!

I felt a bit inspired so popped outside and gave my E320's engine a quick spruce up.

Generous spray of this...

xiAzDqZ.jpg

Then gave some of the back plastics a more thorough shine...

fZbRT2a.jpg

Not perfect but not bad for a 15 year old engine bay.

qQ2Qj37.jpg

The centre slam panel support and slam panel, n pipe work come up nice and black with normal car polish I find. Looking good bud :)

Good job Alex... looks great :thumb:

See, that's a proper engine bay. I mean yeah my E/CLS engine bays are clean but they're mostly plastic so it's a bit of a cheat. At least that has lots of shiny stuff to keep looking good. RX7's are quite something too, one of the few Jap cars that I'm a fan of. :)

That Rx looks wonderful, one of the worlds scariest engines, but doesn't it look the business !

Thank you tbh its my mistress

That Rx looks wonderful, one of the worlds scariest engines, but doesn't it look the business !
I don't think it's scary. - Not particularly good for fuel economy or emissions, but a clever concept that each rotation is 1 stroke (rather than 4). Since they've got no pistons or conrods, they're arguably much simpler than a piston engine.

Modern apex seals are much better than the early ones, so high power rotary engines are lasting longer and longer now.

I had a quick go with the M272 the other day:
Rd13Cv2VLwUfCIVTTDKkxnTrGi3XSoBhlwSZtigzYGH7Z0C2c2k4SVUSNy3QFmImA5pxru-VB95zopyHhON4LjdFmFa6fTkJpnVE405jZ7G3CN-djvss-2cJU9xBkx2ubUD1mRu1iuTiOrKt-YvU5s3m4pArV7n6tQge58JMsYbc5YF6-o6uOpSV4zYS1lqUMMJheZB06hdBX7xwOs3REPmPQ7dgT797uVlsrEqazoNHpXWZrX44dIo73JI7eKe5c07yuljD9RznxHBDQ3BNPAhlzbN5MS-aWyEOL2yFOD4dVFDoSCVgyKG_JXqZMvd6vdyKr5ToaXHcz8Kjffa4cGCWdM7IOOhqUEjN8vIMIqHcf2werPRWRlbbHDQxCxNViJwdE5yWbROvRyi7CbsMdYEpr0EDJUKlLIGBnjII6rUiRdqBfDTXOoKL-9wXs_zQ-8sBrHsDUe94zmavS4n_Riweo0X7K1Ot6Be0g-Y6eoSO81MHhVPXUj0K8P8D57uqrMhId76QN6wNxVnJ87OCGe4U-HfRriRT9QplHKXaMWR1sN-kv8Vx5-vF5vUUyRTMl63EEJyuXRu-AqJm9FrwMzGB8-wY0n2y-e4lZFxAxU0ucbnfZkDA0k34Jl5ZP6lx=s925-no

I averaged 11mpg from 10 months of RX8 ownership. I used to pre-mix 2-stroke oil too which made it smoother and is said to help increase compression as there's a film of oil between the apex seal and the wall.

It was the best handling car I've ever driven though, and I wasn't really trying to be economical...

Agreed they are terrible on fuel, but mine does make fire out the exhaust :D you cant look at mpg on these has to spg (smiles per gallon)

If you've ever tried to dis-assemble one, you'll know how scary they are ! I've always admired the 8 and still do, that 4 door body is astonishing and in good nick that engine is like something out of science fiction. I've driven an RX7 turbo and can't imagine how handling could be better, but I've heard that the 8s is.

The engine and handling in an 8 are not as good as the rx7, ford had the reigns of mazda at that point and the accountants 7were in charge of the build hence the issuses

At a loose end yesterday so i made up my mind to remove all the wax in the engine depot .First i started on the driver side it was the easy side to work on . Only had to remove the ahxilary water pump to get under it to clean off the wax. Small 1 inch brush and a cup of white spirits ,brush on wipe off .Then spray it all over with silicon spray .Drivers side will need more removal of the parts to get at the wax .Pictures to come later .

Ha! I went the opposite way on my Jeep.. made sure there was plenty of wax on the engine bay.. she ain't rotting in my lifetime.. plus at the start of the year we had 3' of snow and it just ploughed on without hitch. Now contemplating Cross Season Tyres for it..

P.S Hope yer well mate, ain't heard from you for sometime..

P.P.S Ordered more stone guard - this time in black ha ha! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom