EQC avoid avoid avoid !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reminds me of a Kawasaki GPz1100 I bought brand new many years ago when digital fuel injection was new technology.
After a short while it would only run on 3 cylinders and I took it back to be fixed under warranty. It lay untouched in the workshop for days and when I complained to the manager about how long it was taking to be repaired he simply said, "we know nothing about fuel injection and we're not going to learn it in the next 10 minutes".

Buyers of cars with the very latest technology are really just guinnea pigs.

I agree in principle, BUT...

One of the advantages of high-tech EVs is that in essence the diagnostic process can be fully automated and done by computer, and, when manual human intervention is required, it can be done remotely by techs in Germany (or anywhere else in the world).

The idea of a sophisticated piece of technology sitting idle because the local techs don't have the skills and training, points at a complete misunderstanding (or misaplication) of the whole concept of high-tech EVs

That is assuming that the diagnostics cover every eventuality..................................in your dreams!

There are so many situations with electronics where the only way to fix is to swap modules/components and go from there.

Agreed the majority of faults are catered for with diagnostic tools, but these tools get improved as lessons are learnt and we have a way to go with EV's.

That is assuming that the diagnostics cover every eventuality..................................in your dreams!

There are so many situations with electronics where the only way to fix is to swap modules/components and go from there.

Agreed the majority of faults are catered for with diagnostic tools, but these tools get improved as lessons are learnt and we have a way to go with EV's.

Even so, at some point someone will need to decide which module needs to be replaced (even if experimentally). This initial decision can be made by anyone anywhere, via remote access tools. If this is not currently possible, then EV manufactures are missing a trick here.

In IT this is known as smart hands. We have engineers on customers' sites replacing parts based on remote diagnosis carried-out by the manufactures' techs who may be physically located in any of the four corners of the globe....

But then this is what you get when a car manufacturer is struggling to become a technology provider. They just can't make the transformation.... every single version of Audio20 or COMAND that has been introduced so far was built on technology that was between 5 and 10 years old at the time - and in tech world, this is the equivalent of building an engine using 30 years old technology.

As a retired IT person who started in 1965 and ran several technology businesses, I had to smile at the phrase "smart hands"!

You have hit the nail on the head regarding the change to being a technology provider. Cars are computers on wheels these days.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Early adopters take their chances with new technology, and that includes the inability of any UK technical staff to fix it, but what I find truly astonishing is that a £65K new car goes wrong after 800 miles, and it takes a WEEK to find a courtesy car? That's not even rotten customer service; it's customer dis-service...

It’s bad enough that MB and dealers don’t provide the necessary training etc for their techs to stand a chance of fixing the current range of cars, but not providing a courtesy car? That pretty much sums up exactly what they think of their customers.

You’ve actually given me a pause on a EQC as I was looking at one via the business cause of the BIK rate

Its still new tech EV and will invariably be a higher number of issues compared to ICE car that have been developed and refined for 120 years.

Its still new tech EV and will invariably be a higher number of issues compared to ICE car that have been developed and refined for 120 years.
Agree but 140 years ago people didn’t have to send all their horses to abattoir just because Motorwagen came to the market.

It’s bad enough that MB and dealers don’t provide the necessary training etc for their techs to stand a chance of fixing the current range of cars, but not providing a courtesy car? That pretty much sums up exactly what they think of their customers.
Hi , Many years ago a mate if mine worked for the local Mercedes dealer in Worcester.He had to go on a training course for a new model with a new engine ( receipy for disaster ).

The training manager of MB could find the new model car but the model with the new engine was not to be found !

I ask the question , have things improved at MB.

I went to buy a new hybrid in 2018 (I know the post is about electric) and the saleswoman actually advised me against it. They had one on the forecourt that they couldn't move on but I didn't bother trying it. She said that 'Mercedes just haven't got it' with them and she said they wouldn't know how to fix one. She told me to stick with the petrol or diesel. I bought a 250d elsewhere so she missed out on a sale but she said she didn't mind, she said she wouldn't want to sell someone something other than petrol or diesel. This was 2018 though.
I would be interested to hear what her thoughts are now.

I went to buy a new hybrid in 2018 (I know the post is about electric) and the saleswoman actually advised me against it. They had one on the forecourt that they couldn't move on but I didn't bother trying it. She said that 'Mercedes just haven't got it' with them and she said they wouldn't know how to fix one. She told me to stick with the petrol or diesel. I bought a 250d elsewhere so she missed out on a sale but she said she didn't mind, she said she wouldn't want to sell someone something other than petrol or diesel. This was 2018 though.
I would be interested to hear what her thoughts are now.

The C300h hybrid (with the 2.1L Diesel engine) is indeed considered problematic, so the saleswoman may have saved you some grief.

However, the C350e (with the 2.0L petrol engine) does not suffer from the same poor reputation and is considered to be a decent hybrid.

The C300h hybrid (with the 2.1L Diesel engine) is indeed considered problematic, so the saleswoman may have saved you some grief.

However, the C350e (with the 2.0L petrol engine) does not suffer from the same poor reputation and is considered to be a decent hybrid.
Ah thanks Mark. She was the carwow person at the local MB branch so I'm glad I had gone through carwow as I imagine other sales people may not have been so honest.
I've changed my mind completely now. I don't want to go electric either and will probably go back to a v6 before they disappear :)
I do miss the sound of the c43 I had

L
£65k + and that level of customer service. 😳
Incredible.
Lucky you. It's 100K GBP on the dot here. 7K for the service package and 8K for the extended warranty. After an update I was called in for, the info screen went black. Now I'm driving around town with a beautiful black mirror. No one is coming from Germany to fix it, I wasn't even given such an option. Dealer will address this at their own accord, have to wait patiently.

Hi, took delivery of new EQC, lasted two weeks 800 miles before a malfunction, after the RAC looked at the car informed it was an heat sensor on the battery, dreaded trip to the dealers, now after near two weeks no one knows how to fix the car, awaiting for some guy in Germany to take a look and find a solution to the fault, no date given for response will get back in due course, struggled to get a replacement car from Mercedes this took a week, Customer service is rubbish, don't care, a lot of raised shoulders, would recommend going to an alternative manufacture with tried and tested technology before buying a Mercedes.

In contrast, I had an issue with my EQC - whilst it needed recovery to the dealer, I was provided with a hire car by MB and couldn't fault the service from them. It was fixed within a day of it going into the dealer.

I genuinely think anyone buying top end full EVs are rather brave. I’ll hold on till December 2029 before I buy a full EV.
You don't seriously believe that Governments will stick to the EV conversion deadlines with all the pushback we've seen globally?

I'm sure I'll have converted before then... but... the pushback is SO great, it's hard to believe that Governments won't chicken out.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 at 10.42.18.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom