• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Error code for led headlights

OneForTheRoad

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Glc coupe 350d was 2017 e350 c207 .. +65 ford kuga 2.0 cdi zetec awd..
I've scanned my newly acquired Glc today and cleared alot of stored error messages. Only 2 won't clear , in connection to both head lights.

• B178387 Right front LED exterior lighting actuation module fault - missing message
Could this be a fuse do we think as it's for left and right , or is it a module coding issue . What doesn't work when this occurs , is it intelligent led main beams independently working ??

I've got a 3 year warranty, but if it's something daft I'll fettle myself if I can ,rather than put a claim in.

Any help appreciated 👍

Am guessing it’s the ballast that might need replacing…. If so they don’t need coding I believe. Also I don’t think they are sided so I presume you have right side LED issues? So (depending how easy they are to get at and where they located - eg: on a GLS think you can get at them by locking the steering wheel to one side and going through the wheel arch) - before buying a new one, you could swap the left side LED ballast with the right and see if the fault follows.

Last edited:
Am guessing it’s the ballast that might need replacing…. If so they don’t need coding I believe. Also I don’t think they are sided so I presume you have right side LED issues? So (depending how easy they are to get at and where they located - eg: on a GLS think you can get at them by locking the steering wheel to one side and going through the wheel arch) - before buying a new one, you could swap the left side LED ballast with the right and see if the fault follows.

The error report says left and right . Same error code though . ?

I'm beginning to think it's just my icarsoft throwing a wobbler , the headlights all work as they should ,Inc Dl and indicators , I've no dash option to turn on or off adaptive/intelligent lighting ,like I had on the e350 so I'm guessing the glc headlights are just a simple affair . The headlights themselves just have the words led lighting and mercedes embossed on them ... No mention of headlights on the data card options either .

The error report says left and right . Same error code though . ?
Ok and are there supposed to be daytime LED running lights but they don’t work at all, but the main headlights work? If so I would suspect the LED ballasts - but given you might be looking at two ballasts at least it might be worth going down the warranty route unless you can pick one up that you are happy with on the cheap replace it yourself test to make sure fault goes away and then repeat for the other side.

I could be completely wrong though as for both ballasts to fail at the same time might be a bit of a stretch - perhaps there is some other module or indeed something more simple I am missing here…. Sorry can’t be of much help.

Ok and are there supposed to be daytime LED running lights but they don’t work at all? If so I would suspect the ballast - but given you might be looking at two ballasts at least it might be worth going down the warranty route unless you can pick one up that you are happy with in the cheap replace it yourself test to make sure fault goes away and then repeat for the other side.
DL work too if it's the white tick sign on the top of the headlights. Both sides .

I'm beginning to think it's just my icarsoft throwing a wobbler , the headlights all work as they should ,Inc Dl and indicators , I've no dash option to turn on or off adaptive/intelligent lighting ,like I had on the e350 so I'm guessing the glc headlights are just a simple affair . The headlights themselves just have the words led lighting and mercedes embossed on them ... No mention of headlights on the data card options either .
What icarsoft version you running?
Edit - if it’s old maybe update it and try it again if you can be bothered… but sounds like the light systems are working fine and no info on the dash to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
If the light systems work as they should and you don’t have any messages on the dash board… might be best to just pack the diag tool away and just enjoy the car!

I've scanned my newly acquired Glc today and cleared alot of stored error messages. Only 2 won't clear , in connection to both head lights.

• B178387 Right front LED exterior lighting actuation module fault - missing message
Could this be a fuse do we think as it's for left and right , or is it a module coding issue . What doesn't work when this occurs , is it intelligent led main beams independently working ??

I've got a 3 year warranty, but if it's something daft I'll fettle myself if I can ,rather than put a claim in.

Any help appreciated 👍
Hello

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have an almost identical scenario except I've used a Foxwell diagnostic tool which has given an identical set of codes for o/s & n/s but everything appears to work correctly.

Hello

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have an almost identical scenario except I've used a Foxwell diagnostic tool which has given an identical set of codes for o/s & n/s but everything appears to work correctly.

No . I packed up my scanner and now just enjoy my car . 😁 . I'd guess it's just the module info playing tricks on diagnostic machines . Some info missing perhaps ??

I want a cure for crabbing tyres in the cold though . Does your glc suffer from it ?

No . I packed up my scanner and now just enjoy my car . 😁 . I'd guess it's just the module info playing tricks on diagnostic machines . Some info missing perhaps ??

I want a cure for crabbing tyres in the cold though . Does your glc suffer from it ?
Thanks for quick reply...sounds like a plan. If its not broken don't fix it😄

Crabbing🦀 - just once last week when we had a morning frost of -8 deg here in Derbyshire.
I'm guessing the issue is in part due to the hardness of tyre compound.
I've got Goodyear Eagle All Seasons, so a softer compound on and apart from that one time it has not happened - I don't see it as a major issue.
My last car, a 2015 Volvo XC70 awd suffered similar at the rear on an icy morning when making a hard slow turn - that was on Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons which were good on mileage but a tad noisy.

What tyres have you got on your car?

Thanks for quick reply...sounds like a plan. If its not broken don't fix it😄

Crabbing🦀 - just once last week when we had a morning frost of -8 deg here in Derbyshire.
I'm guessing the issue is in part due to the hardness of tyre compound.
I've got Goodyear Eagle All Seasons, so a softer compound on and apart from that one time it has not happened - I don't see it as a major issue.
My last car, a 2015 Volvo XC70 awd suffered similar at the rear on an icy morning when making a hard slow turn - that was on Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons which were good on mileage but a tad noisy.

What tyres have you got on your car?

Eagle F1 summers . Toying with a used set of wheels and putting winters on them . Or going all seasons crossclimate 2. Annoying as just spent £600 on f1's . Banging like a bitch ,even at temps of 6 degrees .

Eagle F1 summers . Toying with a used set of wheels and putting winters on them . Or going all seasons crossclimate 2. Annoying as just spent £600 on f1's . Banging like a bitch ,even at temps of 6 degrees .
Ah. I think most summer compounds become less compliant at 10deg whereas the all-seasons are good to about 2 deg.

Last three cars have had all-seasons on.
Wifes Mini Paceman All4 has them on.
In Summer running I've not found any issues.
Ĺast winter, I got home in snow but also had to take a colleague home who stoically runs summer tyres and was stuck.
I like the comfort of being equipped for all weather's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom