Factory Collection & AMG Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ksten

Car
C63 AMG
The long wait is nearly over!

I ordered a C63 saloon at the end of April and earlier this week the time came for my wife to head over to Sindelfingen / Stuttgart to collect the car from the factory. We also took the opportunity to go to Affalterbach to visit the AMG factory.

The car is now back at the MB dealer for a couple of days (All I have at the moment are the delivery plates as a memento). I'm going to pop the registration retention document over to them tomorrow (It only arrived in the post today) and then pick the car up on Saturday. So we're nearly there. Just two more sleeps.

The factory collection was extremely well organised and I would definitely do it again. The flight, hotel and transfers were all taken care of for us and it all ran like clockwork. We had a lovely meal in the hotel on the evening that we arrived and after a comfortable sleep we were taken by taxi to the factory collection facility. In fact we arrived a little early, before they officially opened, as it was only around the corner from the hotel, but we were warmly welcomed and we started the process of collecting the car.

After a quick look around the display area and the shop, we were taken up to a balcony area which overlooked the collection hall. Our car was already parked and waiting for us so I took a quick snap while we waited for the next available English speaking engineer to do the handover.

A few minutes later, we were being shown around the car to make sure we knew all that we needed to. The keys were handed over and we drove off ... to the sound of a warning beep telling me that I'd left the parking brake on! Oops, that's going to take some getting used to as I did the same thing on two more occasions that day.

Anyway, a quick photograph at the "photo opportunity" parking place outside the front of the building and we were away.

Earlier in the month I sent a mail to the AMG factory ([email protected]) asking if we could have a tour of the facility on the same day that we collected the car. They kindly agreed and the visit was scheduled for 11am. The collection hadn't taken very long at all and as Affalterbach is only about 40 minutes from Sindelfingen, we were there slightly early too. It was nice to be greeted by a huge Union Jack flag outside the reception, with smart looking AMG flags either side. We were made comfortable in the reception, given a coffee and encouraged to look around the cars that were on display.

Our guide, Alex, arrived and showed us around our car from an AMG perspective. While we were looking under the bonnet he took a note of the engine builder (Michael Neuchel) with a view to us meeting him if he was working that day. We were pleased that he was, although he had been moved over to building the 5.5l V8 Bi-Turbo units that are in great demand at the moment. It was rather nice to meet him as it felt like it added a personal touch to the tour.

We watched several of the mechanics working at various stages of construction. All fascinating to see and interesting to be told about even though it was somewhat alien to me coming from a software background. In fact, my wife thoroughly enjoyed it as she comes from a family of Engineers and is an Engineer herself by education. She currently works with top level sports so occasionally has the need to visit the McLaren Technology Centre and although the AMG facility wasn't quite at the same level she was still suitably impressed.

We were shown a V12 being cold tested and were also fortunate enough to see another V12 being tested on a dyno later in the tour (The turbos and exhaust system was glowing bright red and was amazing to see).

We were then shown around the performance studio where they were working on all sorts of cars from maintaining F1 safety cars to performing paint jobs on twin black and red SLS gullwings. There was an SLR, a white C63 Black Series (Stripped completely back to the shell for a custom respray), G Wagons, C63s, E63s, ML63s all having new interiors and various parts upholstered in leather. The level of detail was amazing although somewhat shocking to see these cars stripped to pieces after the initial build process had been completed!

The tour ended with a trip up to the private lounge for a very nice lunch with views over Affalterbach on a glorious sunny day. At this point I was looking forward to getting back in the car and getting a few miles under the wheels.

The car and drive was amazing. Having waited so long for it, it really was a pleasure to simply get in and drive. Even being limited to 4500rpm the performance was astonishing. In fact, even obediently staying in C mode we didn't even need to get anywhere near to that many revolutions to make significant progress. We were also pleased with how quiet and comfortable it is when at a steady cruise (Limited to 85mph). Certainly a step up from anything we have ever owned (Which to be honest, isn't hard!).

Unfortunately, our time away was limited by other commitments (Not least two children under four being looked after by the grandparents), so instead of enjoying a few days touring around Europe, we simply headed for Calais and the Euro Tunnel. The Flexi tickets we had were well worth the small premium we paid. We avoided all of the queues, stopped at the "lounge" and were given some light snacks and after a brief wait, we were the first onto the next train. Brilliant.

By the time we got home it was midnight, we had driven approximately 720 miles, stopped for fuel twice (Showing an indicated 24mpg which I expect to severely plummet after 1000 miles when I will allow my right foot a little more freedom) and although we were tired we were surprisingly ache and pain free. Not bad for two old crocks who hobble out of bed of a morning (Actually, we're not that old, we're just crocks).

So, one more day of waiting and it will be ours at last. We will probably take it down to Eton Dorney on Sunday to watch the Paralympic rowing so that trip should get us through the remainder of the run in period.

As I said, two more sleeps. So, night night.

Attachments

• 2012-08-28 C63 Collection (14 of 32).jpg
    2012-08-28 C63 Collection (14 of 32).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 2012-08-28 C63 Collection (16 of 32).jpg
    2012-08-28 C63 Collection (16 of 32).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 2012-08-28 C63 Collection (22 of 32).jpg
    2012-08-28 C63 Collection (22 of 32).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 145
Superb write up and a phenomenal experience by the sounds of it.

Now the important bit.

Just how bad can the UK MB dealer make the car in the lengthy time they'll have it ?

What exactly does the UK dealer do when a factory collected car returns to them ?

Great write-up and over looking car. Not many miles o go either.

Enjoy

Now that really is a nice and comprehensive write up.
I took my daughter to Luton airport this morning-a 180 mile round trip and averaged 26.2 mpg on the OBC. Ok it was at 4am but I was still quite impressed.
I too am a crock at 46. Bad back from lifting and knees from too much cricket but I find the seats in mine fantastic,especially the heaters.

I too did the factory tour and pickup last friday, but i was in bremen, similar experience though (was going to post up soon), and i too did 800 miles travelling back through, got 27.5 mpg out of the SLK55.

I unfortunately had a couple of issues, command breaking down, and someone hitting my rear bumper in a french car park, but it was an awesome experience.

I also pick my car up Saturday morning, they say they have sorted everything, so I am looking forward to it.

Enjoy your new car!

Superb write up and a phenomenal experience by the sounds of it.

Now the important bit.

Just how bad can the UK MB dealer make the car in the lengthy time they'll have it ?

What exactly does the UK dealer do when a factory collected car returns to them ?

The do the UK PDI, fitting locking wheel nuts etc, and register the car as its registered in germany on german trade plates to get it back to the UK.

Can be done in a few hours, but as the new reg comes out on Saturday, theres no point in having it back until then.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your experience. It was both very interesting and very well written. Oh, and enjoy your new car. :thumb:

I too did the factory tour and pickup last friday, but i was in bremen, similar experience though (was going to post up soon), and i too did 800 miles travelling back through, got 27.5 mpg out of the SLK55.

I unfortunately had a couple of issues, command breaking down, and someone hitting my rear bumper in a french car park, but it was an awesome experience.

I also pick my car up Saturday morning, they say they have sorted everything, so I am looking forward to it.

Enjoy your new car!

Oh mate, that is shyate - hope it get sorted.

great car! great write up! definitely a must do experience

The long wait is nearly over!

I ordered a C63 saloon at the end of April and earlier this week the time came for my wife to head over to Sindelfingen / Stuttgart to collect the car from the factory.

I read this and though WTF man, but then I see you later refer to 'we' so hopefully just a typo!

I would never entrust car collection to my wife, she once collected a new Astra - just got in and drove off without even walking round it!

Enjoy the car, really interested on your thoughts on the cylinder deactivation.

S

This has already been answered above but I'm also having the rear windows tinted to factory spec (Not an option on the saloon). They probably could have done the PDI and so on in a day or so but it makes sense to wait for Saturday.

Enjoy your new car!

I'm just about to read your post now. Bad news about Command but worse about the car park mishap! I hope it is all sorted for Saturday.

The do the UK PDI, fitting locking wheel nuts etc, and register the car as its registered in germany on german trade plates to get it back to the UK.

Can be done in a few hours, but as the new reg comes out on Saturday, theres no point in having it back until then.

My thoughts exactly.

I read this and though WTF man, but then I see you later refer to 'we' so hopefully just a typo!

I would never entrust car collection to my wife, she once collected a new Astra - just got in and drove off without even walking round it!

S

Haha, definitely a typo! I meant "my wife and I".

Regarding cylinder deactivation - is that question aimed at Davidkn in his SLK55?

Thanks everyone,

Keith

Absolutely beautiful car! I really love the facelift rear bumper, I hope someone scratches my rear bumper so I can replace it with the facelift one:D

Last year I also did the AMG tour and I really was amazed by the performance studio, I was also shocked that they were rebuilding a 300SL Gullwing with new technics like brakes from a modern C class, rear axle from a W203 etc, also a new satnav system, all on a original shell! they already spent a milion euro's on the rebuild!

I also did the AMG driving I believe its called "Spirit of AMG" were I got to drive the C63, E63, SL63 and SLS!. That day I fell in love with the C63 and bought one 3 months later (I drove an S5 before)

Car looks amazing, and superb write up too :thumb:. Buying, factory collecting and owning an AMG has been on my wish list of things to do ever since my first AMG track day at MB world when I turned 21! Jealous doesn't even come close - especially when my current AMG of choice would be a white C63!

Enjoy the car and the many V8 smiles it will bring!

S

Cylinder deactivation (sorry to hijack) I think is pretty cool, its a bit of a game, when on the motorway and wanting to get decent mpg you can spend most of the time in 4 cylinder mode, you can hear the engine note change, but at the moment it's a novelty, but if it save loads of fuel I'll keep it up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom