Fantastic Race Chip pedal box on Merc E Class w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have. What you are suggesting is ridiculous. Even RaceChip's own site states exactly what their kit does (and doesn't) do.

The ECU has parameters that control the delay in response to the trigger of pedal movement from rest point. The initial pedal movement is a binary trigger point, you cannot make that happen any faster or earlier without going backwards in time.

The only way you can directly affect the parameter values for the delay period after the trigger point is within the ECU itself. This is not something you can change with an external box. A remap CAN change this, and many companies already do successfully.

However, if the delay parameter is set to a specific threshold, (rather than simply non-zero) even though the delay within the system itself has not changed, the change in ramp rate that the pedal box provides means you reach that threshold faster, and you have the placebo of less delay overall to the action of your foot pressing the pedal. That is no different to putting your foot down harder/faster from the zero point.

I had a feeling that would be your response.

It doesn't help that 2/3rds of your posts so far on this forum consist of gushing praise for the virtues of the product. Usually that's the reserve of someone with a less than altruistic agenda. :rolleyes:

No matter how fast the foot is there is a built in delay as stock , it's so old people do less damage in car parks ! Lol .

Pedal boxes both give less travel and almost eliminate the delay by the throttle valve opening quicker .

It also makes for a smoother drive the rest of the time, as the average foot is not a precise tool compared to the electronic processing of actuators and potentiometers so the filters mellow out the responses.

I've taken some of the delay out of the pedal on my Cupra, so it's more responsive when driving in "Comfort" mode (ha, that's an optimistic description) but it lurches like a sod in traffic if I'm lazy with my foot and get things wrong.

Doodle, your post (#21) describes it as I imagine it.

It also makes for a smoother drive the rest of the time, as the average foot is not a precise tool compared to the electronic processing of actuators and potentiometers so the filters mellow out the responses.

I've taken some of the delay out of the pedal on my Cupra, so it's more responsive when driving in "Comfort" mode (ha, that's an optimistic description) but it lurches like a sod in traffic if I'm lazy with my foot and get things wrong.

And the above comments fit directly with what a friend told me about the adjustable (map selection) on his bike in that he uses the mildest (wet weather) map around town just for a less aggressive response.

Another reason for a slightly dulled response may lie in what the engine can actually use at lower rpm. Up to the point of maximum torque WOT is wasted. So banging the throttle wide open at low rpm doesn't help the engine at all and may hinder it by stalling the gas flow. Maybe the OEM settings open the throttle progressively in accordance with the engines demands - only giving as much as the engine can usefully utilise. Just guessing though as getting this info is nigh on impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom