• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Fastest ML Ever?

I don’t think there’s any difference. One car has 700 bhp and the other around 400bhp.
For the school run?
I’ll raise my hand and say that I’ll be the odd one out, as we’ve always used AMGs for the school run, with 99% of those trips being in an ML 63. They’re great car, the most versatile car I have ever driven.

I say the odd one out because most people who like SUVs don’t like the idea of a fast SUV and people who like fast cars don’t usually like fast SUVs, so an unpopular combination!

I’ll raise my hand and say that I’ll be the odd one out, as we’ve always used AMGs for the school run, with 99% of those trips being in an ML 63. They’re great car, the most versatile car I have ever driven.

I say the odd one out because most people who like SUVs don’t like the idea of a fast SUV and people who like fast cars don’t usually like fast SUVs, so an unpopular combination!
I don’t understand fast SUV’s although when I get old I may well change my mind.

I don’t understand fast SUV’s although when I get old I may well change my mind.
A popular view. Driving one is much more likely to change your mind than aging. However people who really don’t like them probably won’t change their mind even driving one.

If we ever do a drag race day and I bring one, then you are welcome to have a go to confirm you don’t like them without having to wait until old age 😀

Slight correction on the above. In my experience, people who own very very fast cars, often have a very fast SUV, and most of those tend not to worry what people think so it’s not for image.

To me all that performance does not hang well with something that handles like a pig on stilts..... at least compared to a proper sports saloon with the same engine. A friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 powered by a 6.4-litre V8 engine that produces 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds and has a onto a top speed of 160. Apart from the odd blast in a straight line which is actually quite hilarious.....its all really pretty pointless. He does not even need the space.... no family or dogs!

To me all that performance does not hang well with something that handles like a pig on stilts..... at least compared to a proper sports saloon with the same engine. A friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 powered by a 6.4-litre V8 engine that produces 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds and has an onto a top speed of 160. Apart from the odd blast in a straight line which is actually quite hilarious.....its all really pretty pointless. He does not even need the space.... no family or dogs!
They’re a bit Arnie for me.

@E55BOF if you are interested I am sure we can come to an agreement.

I shouldn’t mock. I’ve got a 300 odd bhp Porsche that sees the driveway and the inside of the garage!! 🤣🤣

Why not have both?

I don’t personally see the benefit of a slow SUV and I have never owned a diesel car but each to their own :)

To me all that performance does not hang well with something that handles like a pig on stilts..... at least compared to a proper sports saloon with the same engine. A friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 powered by a 6.4-litre V8 engine that produces 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds and has an onto a top speed of 160. Apart from the odd blast in a straight line which is actually quite hilarious.....its all really pretty pointless. He does not even need the space.... no family or dogs!
They only go as fast as you push your right foot! ;)

What’s the downside of having one with extra power in reserve? Can’t really see it myself :)

You don’t buy an SUV with a big or small engine for the handling, you buy one as they offer the most in that sector. Same as an E63 won’t handle like a Lotus or something - but if you want 5 seats and a decent amount of shove they have it in reserve :cool:

There’s literally a car out there for everyone - just because something doesn’t float your boat or suit your needs/circumstances it doesn’t make it a bad choice for someone else :thumb:

To me all that performance does not hang well with something that handles like a pig on stilts..... at least compared to a proper sports saloon with the same engine. A friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 powered by a 6.4-litre V8 engine that produces 475 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds and has a onto a top speed of 160. Apart from the odd blast in a straight line which is actually quite hilarious.....its all really pretty pointless. He does not even need the space.... no family or dogs!
I've heard the GLC 63 is very capable handling wise 👌 but then again it won't beat the estate so no thanks from me. It had been released before i got my c63s and i will admit the less practical version of the glc (coupe??) Really did tempt me. I used to own a gla 45 which is a crossover and that thing was brilliant except it was 4 cylinders but it's basically a rally car on steroids because it's lowered and doesn't drive like an crossover at all.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's something quite appealing about some quick 4x4s that I like. I had an 164 ML500 some years ago and that was a quick old beast which was then later replaced with a couple of Range Rover SC's.

I'm pretty sure a 63 would have some fun at the grand prix traffic lights and raise a few eyebrows.

There's something quite appealing about some quick 4x4s that I like. I had an 164 ML500 some years ago and that was a quick old beast which was then later replaced with a couple of Range Rover SC's.

I'm pretty sure a 63 would have some fun at the grand prix traffic lights and raise a few eyebrows.
Lining up in the starting grid:

full

On the grid at Donington Park:

full

By how far was it last??? 😄

But the ML can take short cuts - off road, over the grass/through the gravel etc :)

Might get less challenges on the corners too - who’s coming off worse? :devil:

I'm guessing you were watching a different competition.

By how far was it last??? 😄
It was pentathlon for cars. The Enzo, MC12 and SF90 all beat the ML on two rounds: (1) sprint race, and (2) over ten laps, but they were DNS (Did Not Start) on three rounds: (3) carrying five people and luggage to the South of France, (4) towing a twin axle caravan, and (3) getting over the speed hump in the car park.

Lol... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom